CAD M179
Nu-tra
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

CAD M179

I gotta tell yah that these mics kick serious ass for the money. I've been tracking drums with them on toms and they are knocking me out. I tried it on guitar cab and they have a nice natural sound that is very balanced and pleasing. I haven't been this happy about a product in a long time. I was using oktavas for toms but the CAD's just kick so much ass!

There I'm done with my positive rant!

Thanks for the tip Warren!
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

beater side of kick as well..

tough to beat for a beater mic..
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Best mic at all for 200 bux, period...

It sounds good on vox as well, very neutral.. If you want a 414 BULS and cant afford one, this is it...
Nu-tra
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Did you order the two for toms? They sound even cooler if you like micing the tops and bottoms of the toms.
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Did you order the two for toms? They sound even cooler if you like micing the tops and bottoms of the toms.
No, not particularly, just because I want to try two of them out. Thought maybe to try them out first on OH's, then go from there!
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

thumbsup

Probably gets more use than any of my other mics. Overhead, room mic, acoustic guitar, background vocals, floor tom, and on and on and on. Love it.
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I traded one against a D6 for a session and I really liked the m179. It was good on everything.
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. for under $200, it doesn't sound like it'd be a bad deal and i'd like another mic for toms just for another flavor. right now i'm using either md421 or audix d-2 and i'm pretty satisfied with them. how would you guys compare the m179 to those?
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

you know i've never used my d-2 on toms..

it's been my bottom snare mic for some time..

but...i've got about 4 m179's for toms..

they just seem to have more life to them.

cheap as dirt!
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone A/B the Cad with Studio Projects C3?
Nu-tra
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I owned four 421's they are great on toms but the bleed sucks. It's not a musical bleed it's very trash canny. The cad is full clear punchy. It sounds like the drum. You gotta put it in hyper cardiod and engage the pad.
Ade
14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Ade
Gear Head

Great on piano too.
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Jai guru deva om

I love the M179 and continuously preach about its usefulness. I own 3 and they get used a lot, it's a mic you never outgrow or wish you hadn't "wasted" your money on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Thanks for the tip Warren!
Keep on rockin' Vahe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC Productions View Post

Sounds GREAT! I just ordered a pair from Warren. Can't wait to try them out! thumbsup
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck1r0ck2 View Post
beater side of kick as well..

tough to beat for a beater mic..
Yes, anywhere outside the kick I've been raving about as well. The low end and snap are just...there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
Best mic at all for 200 bux, period...

It sounds good on vox as well, very neutral.. If you want a 414 BULS and cant afford one, this is it...
"Poor man's C414" has always been my thoughts...you and I have discussed this of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxhopefield View Post
i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. for under $200, it doesn't sound like it'd be a bad deal and i'd like another mic for toms just for another flavor. right now i'm using either md421 or audix d-2 and i'm pretty satisfied with them. how would you guys compare the m179 to those?
Ask and you shall receive. Comparison clips attached below. By the way the 2 mics you have to choose from I do consider to be good tom mics...the D2 more pleasing vs the MD421 though. Not only do I prefer the depth and attack of the CAD M179 but the placement is so easy with no cables sticking up into your cymbals! Also, I like a consistent tom sound from 10" racks to floor...and the M179 provides all you need on either. The attack requires less EQ in the mix for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyRayHanky View Post
Anyone A/B the Cad with Studio Projects C3?
C3 = much brighter, M179 more balanced with greater low end response and depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
Great on piano too.
Agreed. I recorded an upright Young Chang at a recent jazz gig and once I put the M179 over the top...there was no need for anything else.

War
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Audix_D2_Toms.mp3 (233.9 KB, 870 views)
File Type: mp3 Sennheiser_MD421II_Toms.mp3 (233.9 KB, 855 views)
File Type: mp3 CAD_M179_Toms.mp3 (233.9 KB, 989 views)
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

ah the ol "crank up the one thats best" trick!
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by treymonfauntre View Post
ah the ol "crank up the one thats best" trick!
Hmm...I post clips around here all the time and this is the first time I've ever heard this one. So let me be perfectly clear: these clips are not level matched and you will need to do this on your own. I usually add this disclaimer but did not today. It takes work to put all this stuff together (the Jam Room Studio next door has been largely responsible for these clips' existence), and it's a little disheartening to think somebody would try and turn these efforts against me.

Anybody who is seriously listening for differences would know to take them into their studio and hear them in a familiar environment...level matched...and able to switch between the 2. Not listen to Windows Media Player on a laptop and think they're hearing anything worthwhile.

Still think I'm evil?

War
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've been using the KBM421 on everything low-end lately and LOVING it. Never used an M179, but now I'm intrigued. Anybody used these two in conjuction on a kick drum? (ie, beater mic & outside mic)
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Hmm...I post clips around here all the time and this is the first time I've ever heard this one. So let me be perfectly clear: these clips are not level matched and you will need to do this on your own. I usually add this disclaimer but did not today. It takes work to put all this stuff together (the Jam Room Studio next door has been largely responsible for these clips' existence), and it's a little disheartening to think somebody would try and turn these efforts against me.

Anybody who is seriously listening for differences would know to take them into their studio and hear them in a familiar environment...level matched...and able to switch between the 2. Not listen to Windows Media Player on a laptop and think they're hearing anything worthwhile.

Still think I'm evil?

War
not at all my fair sir.
also since i'll never remember again, you should include some kind of invoice with your shipments! i got some moremes and a few stands and felt empty and alone without an informal generic paypal style "thanks for your order" sheet!

(edit: if it isn't abudantly clear i was kidding about the levels trick, and i'm definitely adding these to my "if i win the scratch off lottery" list)
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Jai guru deva om

Ouch, no invoice? Do you need me to email one? Contact me off the board about that and I'll take care of it!

War
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

You know, we've been trying to get our hands on some omni LD condensers here at my school, but the budget hasn't been there.
I think I'm going to recommend these CADs to my boss.
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I never considered the CAD M179 till I saw this thread. I currently have a Rode NT1a and Studio Projects B1. I've been considering the Audio Technica 4040, SE 2200a and Studio Projects C1 for mainly vocals. How does the CAD M179 compare to these?
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Smile

Thanks War!
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I never considered the CAD M179 till I saw this thread. I currently have a Rode NT1a and Studio Projects B1. I've been considering the Audio Technica 4040, SE 2200a and Studio Projects C1 for mainly vocals. How does the CAD M179 compare to these?

The 179 is flatter and more honest than the C-1, by far. Never heard the sE, but the Cad and the 4040 would be complimentary to each other.
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
When these clips were made the B1 was being redesigned and Rode won't provide mics for shootout sessions. I have the AT4040, SE2200A and CAD M179 below to compare. Better than nothing I suppose! Same singer, same position, same session. I personally would recommend the SE2200A for vocal use, the CAD does better on instrument / acoustic sources most times as does the 4040 in my opinion. That SE mic has a very forgiving top end which is nice on most voices, and a full midrange / smooth response.

The SE2200A is really kind of a "sleeper" in the $299 range and gets eclipsed by more marketing on other mics.

War
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Audio_Technica_AT4040_Female_Vocal.mp3 (389.5 KB, 952 views)
File Type: mp3 CAD_M179_Female_Vocal.mp3 (375.4 KB, 1012 views)
File Type: mp3 SE_Electronics_2200a_Female_Vocal.mp3 (371.8 KB, 820 views)
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Head

Have to say a massive thanks to Warren for bigging these mic's up, they are in constant use in all bands I record these days.

Sound great on toms, overheads and work as an awesome compliment to my Audix i5 when tracking guitars.
Ade
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Ade
Gear Head

Quote:
CAD does better on instrument / acoustic sources most times as
I scared the crap out of m'self last week. I have a valve 67, enhanced by Bill Bradley. A great mic. Last week, while tracking vocals, I placed the CAD, head up, against the 67, head down. the comparison did not leave me with that warm, confident glow of 'knowing' that a mic costing several $k should give when stacked up against a $200 mic. The CAD sounded absolutely great. I cannot find enough good things to say about this mic. In fact... as they are both to hand... from the sublime to the ridiculous:
Attached Thumbnails
CAD M179-67-against-cad179.jpg  
15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Now thats scary....im hunting down one of those CADs as we speak!
16th January 2007
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I scared the crap out of m'self last week. I have a valve 67, enhanced by Bill Bradley. A great mic. Last week, while tracking vocals, I placed the CAD, head up, against the 67, head down. the comparison did not leave me with that warm, confident glow of 'knowing' that a mic costing several $k should give when stacked up against a $200 mic.
That's the wildest thing I've ever heard. Could you elaborate a bit? I've always found the M179 to be more in the neutral camp. Your 67 is a legendary mic. Could you describe things in a bit more detail, please? I'm feeling a bit confused.

Cheers!

Ade
16th January 2007
Old 16th January 2007
Ade
Gear Head

Well, you can see the arrangement of the mics. Each mic was fed into a channel of a TubeTech MP1A.. which is no slouch of a preamp, it must be said. So, it's a level playing field. The same vocal performance (which I am not at liberty to share ) has been recorded.
A/B'ing the playback showed a remarkable, how can I put this? 'Kinship' between the two recordings. The 67 had a little more 'airiness' but, as is the case with many vintage mics, there is also more than a smattering of noise. The CAD is whisper quiet by comparison. Very often, the artifacts in vintage gear are what gives them that certain appeal, so that is not the deciding factor - What I am driving at is that I could not sit back with a self- satisfied grin and say that the mic which cost as much as a very nice vacation trounced the mic which costs the same as a reasonable dinner for four. The CAD sounded great. It held its own and is still a contender to get the gig on this particular track.
I mean....$200 ....these mics are little gems, IMO.
16th January 2007
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Warren,

How would you say the ATM450 fares against the M179 on toms? I bought an ATM450 not too long ago and I could seeing being quite useful as a tom mic? The mics are about the same price, so do you feel that the M179 is much better in that application or just different? I hate to burden you with making more clips, but if you have some handy...

thanks,
Brad
16th January 2007
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, you can see the arrangement of the mics. Each mic was fed into a channel of a TubeTech MP1A.. which is no slouch of a preamp....

Hey, thanks, Ade.

Yah, I like that preamp, it stacks vocals very nicely. But thanks for going into more detail on your response. Yes, a nice vacation indeed.

Maybe I'm just put off-balance because it exposes what I guess I have to identify as naivete in me -- I think I was holding off the 67 in some part of my mind as some kind of a fantastic, unearthly, magical mic. I guess I'll have to downgrade it to merely just "very very nice a large amount of the time."

Cheers.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search