Login / Register

Behringer C2 mics. The world greatest SDCs?
New Reply
Subscribe
danmaier
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Gear interested

Please prove me wrong. Someone PLEASE do a mic shoot out with these. They are $40 for a MATCHED PAIR. Forty effing dollars. I'd love to hear the difference between these and some other high end SDCs. Behringer vs Gefell? The results could be catstrophic to Gearslutz worldwide...or...they will most likely sound like poop.

4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Gear nut

Haha I have a couple pairs because of the "why not" cost factor. Adjustable roll off and pad in a small form factor easy to sneak anywhere and cheap enough to not be upset when you blow the capsule apart because you thought that death metal band could use a bradley fighting vehicle firing off rounds into a glass warehouse instead of just "settling" for a bass drop.
No but seriously, they are not half bad, and I tend to throw them on toms when i'm not in the mood for 57s. Def. great bang for buck, but still in that "bang for buck" weight class.
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmaier View Post
Behringer vs Gefell?
I just figured out that we need more smilies. I can't find anyone that could fit in this case, but it would be a mix of these three:
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Runs with scissors

Send a message via Skype™ to tnjazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
I just figured out that we need more smilies. I can't find anyone that could fit in this case, but it would be a mix of these three:
Your avatar would be appropriate. So would a vomiting smiley though...
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

I was in a turd polishing mood and got a C-1 mic. A real POS. But it has some potential. After the usual capacitor and transistor replacement it almost sounds useful. There is a small hum from the mic, it might be poor grounding around the capsule, lot's of plastic there. I'll get back to it one day when I have the time.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, seems C2+Jim Williams mod is way to go.
Good bye Gefell
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Please prove me wrong. Someone PLEASE do a mic shoot out with these. They are $40 for a MATCHED PAIR. Forty effing dollars. I'd love to hear the difference between these and some other high end SDCs. Behringer vs Gefell? The results could be catstrophic to Gearslutz worldwide...or...they will most likely sound like poop.

No. tutt No more Behringer. Ever.

Regards,

John
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

It could be ok, depends on who they "borrowed" the design from
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Gear maniac

they're not bad, i got them because hey why not. mine at least take a lot of gain to get a good signal out of but the top end doesn't sound too brittle, maybe with some mods they could be rockin, of course its behringer so i'm not really counting on them to keep working too much longer...

untitled topher.
GPl
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
GPl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Well, seems C2+Jim Williams mod is way to go.
Good bye Gefell
And the price for the JW mod, $2000.xx
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The results could be catstrophic to Gearslutz worldwide...
unlikely

and shouldnt this thread be in the lowend section?
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Gear maniac

I had a pair of C2 mics and originally I wasn't crazy about them. I sold them off and got a pair of Apex 185's (pretty much s MXL 603 pair). Now I'm modding the the Apex pair, cause they don't sound quite right and considering getting another pair of C2 mics. They are actually pretty darn good for an SDC under $400 (well well under $400)
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to ivmike
I dig my C2 pair. THey're seriously the best deal out there.

A friend of mine has been experimenting with them as drum mics (on toms and snare).

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill brown View Post
Keep it simple - get good sounds at source - do not rely on all the technology. Go with your instincts/gut feeling. Don't mic too close.
13th March 2011
Old 13th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Behringer vs Gefell? The results could be catstrophic to Gearslutz worldwide...or...
yeah, I'm sure they are quaking in their boots in Germany right now......probably crawling under their desks.
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
yeah, I'm sure they are quaking in their boots in Germany right now......probably crawling under their desks.
Don't forget both brands are German, although one of them has its factory in China...

20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
Berry C2s are imho somewhat better sounding out of the box than apex 18X series mics.

But I hate those apex mics - 10+db of harsh peaking around 7k or so?? how on earth did these ever become popular mics.

the C2 is much less peaky and while it has cruddy electronics, so do the apex mics.

I like 'em better stock and they cost a quarter as much and are cute and helpful when needed. My apexes were such crappy mics and sounded so different from each other (trying all 4 capsules the pair came with - each mic body sounded different with the same cap swapped, and each same cap design (cardoid versus omni) sounded different from the supposed same one when swapped on the same body. and they were all harsh, had no headroom, hissed, and were noisy if you touched the bodies.

the C2 pair I bought really WAS matched - they sound the same, although one is slightly quieter than the other (whcih is just fine, tone is the same which is what counts for thsi price). and not nearly as harsh - actually quite nice on acoustic guitars.

edit: oh, and I didn't know gefell made sdcs. cool. :-)
~~~~~~

Don Kelley

Remote online (and in person) session musician.

Session musician (violin/viola/bass guitar/mandolin/electric+acoustic guitar/synthesizer/drums/anything you are willing to pay me for)

B.Mus, A.R.C.T. (Major:violin performance, Minor: jazz electric bass)

Double Take Recording Studio

Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

Not neutral either this Behringer

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer C2 mics. The world greatest SDCs?-behringer-20c-2-20stereopaar-20cardioide_1-messkurve.jpg  
21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Gear Head

I think the buy in the Behringer line are the B-5s with the uni and omni capsules. I have had good success with these with both capsules...the unis for solo instruments and the omnis, spaced for recording ensembles.

Now if Rode would sell their $200 pencils with omni capsules that would be something I could cheer about.
21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Gear Head

I should have added that I do own the C-2s and they are really light in the bass, so you will have to add a great deal through your mixing board.
21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
Berry C2s are imho somewhat better sounding out of the box than apex 18X series mics.

But I hate those apex mics - 10+db of harsh peaking around 7k or so?? how on earth did these ever become popular mics.

the C2 is much less peaky and while it has cruddy electronics, so do the apex mics.

I like 'em better stock and they cost a quarter as much and are cute and helpful when needed. My apexes were such crappy mics and sounded so different from each other (trying all 4 capsules the pair came with - each mic body sounded different with the same cap swapped, and each same cap design (cardoid versus omni) sounded different from the supposed same one when swapped on the same body. and they were all harsh, had no headroom, hissed, and were noisy if you touched the bodies.

the C2 pair I bought really WAS matched - they sound the same, although one is slightly quieter than the other (whcih is just fine, tone is the same which is what counts for thsi price). and not nearly as harsh - actually quite nice on acoustic guitars.

edit: oh, and I didn't know gefell made sdcs. cool. :-)
I agree about the Apex 18X. Huge dissapointment. Modding them can turn them from unusable to great mics, but who want to chuck money out on something that's initially useless? They are basically a poor cousin to the MXL 60X series. It's too bad something happened between the MXL/Yamaha dealer and L & M in Canada. I find most stock MXL sound better out of the box than Apex's. That said, it doesn't take much to get an Apex 460 up to snuff.....
I think the whole Apex line is big in Canada because L and M pushes the brand a lot.

(Back to the C2 mics) They're better than what most people would expect for the price. I had a pair of KM184 mics for about 6months and they simply captured a lot of detail that the C2 did not (among other things). I have a project file from 5 years ago where we were trying low end mics to see what type of sound we wanted for a low budget album. I believe I had an MXL 69me with an Apex 170, up against a pair of Behringer C2 mics and the C2's got slaughtered. I'll see if I can track the file down and post it.
21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Not neutral either this Behringer

Matti
didn't say they were neutral. said they were less crappy than apex 180 series mics. just use your ears to tell the difference - your chart confirms what I hear though with the C2 mics. I can live with this response way more than with 180 response.

and yea, all of these cheapo SDC mics have no bass at all. for something with some bass you need at2020 or 2025 or something. which are imho sdc mics but just with the wrong case design LoL (the 2021 is the sdc version of the same mic). anyhow - c2, c5, great deals for sure if you can make 'em work for you.

are they actually moddable like the apex 180 are moddable though? or are the c2 mics sort of just stuck how they are (which is fine for such a cheap price imho)?
21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
I agree about the Apex 18X. Huge dissapointment. Modding them can turn them from unusable to great mics, but who want to chuck money out on something that's initially useless? They are basically a poor cousin to the MXL 60X series. It's too bad something happened between the MXL/Yamaha dealer and L & M in Canada. I find most stock MXL sound better out of the box than Apex's. That said, it doesn't take much to get an Apex 460 up to snuff.....
I think the whole Apex line is big in Canada because L and M pushes the brand a lot.

(Back to the C2 mics) They're better than what most people would expect for the price. I had a pair of KM184 mics for about 6months and they simply captured a lot of detail that the C2 did not (among other things). I have a project file from 5 years ago where we were trying low end mics to see what type of sound we wanted for a low budget album. I believe I had an MXL 69me with an Apex 170, up against a pair of Behringer C2 mics and the C2's got slaughtered. I'll see if I can track the file down and post it.
good point - like the apex 18x mics, which are exactly the same as mxl 603 mics, somehow are the QA rejects of the 603 line or something.

where apex 205 mics are kickass and blow away the competition for the price to my ears - somehow the sdcs are not of the same consistency (which is saying something when apex ribbons aren't the most consistently made mics around either LoL).
21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

I just have these curves, not the mics.
I suspect Apex are from the same factory I suspect some others are and
would be wary of the quality controll with them unless I ordered a patch of
measured ones for a price

Matti
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just have these curves, not the mics.
I suspect Apex are from the same factory I suspect some others are and
would be wary of the quality controll with them unless I ordered a patch of
measured ones for a price

Matti
the apex are by alctron, like the mxl603 and a couple of other brands that are exactly the same mics. most behringer mics are from the behringer factory. also chinese, different staff, different factory, different machines, possibly exactly the same internal design but I dont know for sure.

some behringer mics are rebranded versions of mics from other companies though (or at least the capsules are sometimes). Unlike with B's other products I guess they've found like everyone else that mics which are rebranded versions of other company's mics is deemed acceptable sales practice compared to other pieces of gear.
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No.
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Alctron is a saleshouse, not a factory -if I got it right

Matti
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alctron is a saleshouse, not a factory -if I got it right

Matti
news to me - I've always been told that they've been building apex mics for years and years.

I suppose they could just be the middle man - but I never knew that china had middle men in this scenario.

I certainly haven't been there in person so am open to your concept - I'm only repeating what I've always been told by mic purchasers and professional modders.
23rd May 2011
Old 23rd May 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
news to me - I've always been told that they've been building apex mics for years and years.

I suppose they could just be the middle man - but I never knew that china had middle men in this scenario.

I certainly haven't been there in person so am open to your concept - I'm only repeating what I've always been told by mic purchasers and professional modders.
Is it possible that they do both; manufacture some and sell others that are contracted out?
23rd May 2011
Old 23rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
Is it possible that they do both; manufacture some and sell others that are contracted out?
definitely! It's china - they play by different rules :-)
24th May 2011
Old 24th May 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
definitely! It's china - they play by different rules :-)
Actually I was thinking about other microphone companies, like Blue, and CAD. When you run a business, sometimes you switch suppliers, manufacturing techniques, move manufacturing in house, move manufacturing out of house, have a different line of products manufactured different etc. I'm guessing that's a pretty universal practice for business. I've got a Behringer B2 mic that says "797 Audio" inside and 2 Apex 460 (mod project) that were built with completely different components. I wonder if they were built at the same factory?

Anyways, I'm still looking for that C2 shootout file....
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search