The Best DBX subharmonic Synth
Stress Man
Thread Starter
#1
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
  #1
Gear maniac
 
Stress Man's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Philly,Pa
Posts: 179

Thread Starter
The Best DBX subharmonic Synth

Which DBX subharmonic synth is the best???


120a
120x DS
120xp

Which one?

Thanks in advance,

Stress Man
#2
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
  #2
Gear addict
 
drycounty's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond VA USA
Posts: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stress Man View Post
Which DBX subharmonic synth is the best???


120a
120x DS
120xp

Which one?

Thanks in advance,

Stress Man
I only know of the 110 -- a little wooden box thing similar in size to the 117 and 118. It's certainly unique and offers you the ability to send out either the mixed source and sub-bass tones or only the influenced bass tones. Can seriously fry your speakers. From what I hear it's great for dub stuff. I need to use mine more, thanks for the reminder!
#3
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Nutmeg II.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: GEARmany
Posts: 985

If you work with midi tracks the best one is to ad a Sinewave in the sampler/synth/software.

If you work with audio tracks the 120x-DS is the best.
It has a -10 interface, but if you can deal with that it is the most flexible dbx sub synth.
You get 4 frequency ranges to tweak instead 1 or 2 on the other dbx units.
#4
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Nutmeg II.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: GEARmany
Posts: 985

P.S.: bring back the sub signal on a channel and comp it (SSL channel or dbx160x)
That's were the fun begins!
#5
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
  #5
Rocket Scientist
 
foldback's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,401

I've got a Waves Max Bass hardware unit. It was around $300 from Sweetwater. It works ok but raises the noise floor of our PA as well as extending the bass response.

The DBX Driverack has a sub synth function and a lot more. The user interface on the Driverack is the weak spot on this piece.
#6
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
  #6
The Audio Whisperer
 
donsolo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,172
My Studio

the maxxbass is the oposite of a sub synth

it boosts high freq and gives aparent bass...

I tend to trigger a deep sinewave or an 808 kick.
#7
2nd January 2007
Old 2nd January 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 4,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg II. View Post
If you work with audio tracks the 120x-DS is the best.
It has a -10 interface, but if you can deal with that it is the most flexible dbx sub synth.
You get 4 frequency ranges to tweak instead 1 or 2 on the other dbx units.
Ditto.

Of all the sub units, I prefer the original SPL Vitalizer. The absolute worst would have to be the Behringer Ultrabass.
#8
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Western MA, USA
Posts: 3,516

The 500
y'all missin the bass boat
#9
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: An Australian in London
Posts: 5,693

I have the 120XP and an Aphex 204.
90% of the time I'll use the 204- it just sounds better- is more controllable.
#10
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,288

What about the DBX 100?
#11
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
  #11
Gear maniac
 
Audionaut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 242

what about boosting 50Hz?
fuuck
#12
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
  #12
Gear nut
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 94

#13
23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007
  #13
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 15,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
The absolute worst would have to be the Behringer Ultrabass.
Well then, it will probably really bum you out to hear that a large percentage of the blockbuster movie scores use that specific box as the prime contributer to "boom" in their scores. The .1 in their 5.1 mixes.
#14
23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 4,116

Why would I care what they do?

I don't even have 5.1 hooked up at home, and I could care less- it sounds terrible, and that's the important thing to me. I'm not bummed, but I'd be surprised (assuming what you say is true) if it was a popular unit for music scores, especially since I've yet to see one racked in any major studio or post house I've been to.

I still have mine packed away. Anyone wanna trade for a guitar pedal?
#15
24th September 2007
Old 24th September 2007
  #15
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 15,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
Why would I care what they do?

I don't even have 5.1 hooked up at home, and I could care less- it sounds terrible, and that's the important thing to me. I'm not bummed, but I'd be surprised (assuming what you say is true) if it was a popular unit for music scores, especially since I've yet to see one racked in any major studio or post house I've been to.

I still have mine packed away. Anyone wanna trade for a guitar pedal?
There are too many to list here, but how about the biggest grossing film in history (at least at last count) Spiderman3. Bob Fernandez used the Behringer to make the bottom hugely round. And not at some two bit studio either. It was on perhaps the biggest most prestigious scoring stage in LA. On the Sony Lot. Barbara Streisand scoring stage. Bob uses it as an effect and feeds it off an aux send, returns it into PT or the console and busses it along with low end synths, DB's, etc to the LFE channel. I believe Bob prefers it to the DBX units because of the +4 inputs, although he likes the DBX just as well.

And on the side note, if you think 5.1 sounds terrible....you're listening on a poorly calibrated system, a crappy system or you just prefer the stereo soundstage. You owe it to yourself to check out a great 5.1 system though. I'd be happy to trade for your Behringer, but I don't have any gtr pedals right now. How much $$$ do you want for it? If it's as bad as you say, it should be pretty cheap. PM me.
#16
24th September 2007
Old 24th September 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 4,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
And on the side note, if you think 5.1 sounds terrible....you're listening on a poorly calibrated system, a crappy system or you just prefer the stereo soundstage. You owe it to yourself to check out a great 5.1 system though. I'd be happy to trade for your Behringer, but I don't have any gtr pedals right now. How much $$$ do you want for it? If it's as bad as you say, it should be pretty cheap. PM me.
Sorry for misspeaking. When I said "it sounds terrible", I was referring to the Ultrabass not necessarily 5.1 systems (although the majority of the 5.1 systems I hear at people's houses sound terrible and often have at LEAST one speaker out of ΓΈ). $50 and it's yours. I'm actually more of a fan of the 'bass processor" in the Behringer Ultrafex unit, but still think it falls well short compared to the SPL & Dbx units.
#17
25th September 2007
Old 25th September 2007
  #17
Gear maniac
 
jabuone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 213

On the software side, check out the Lowender plug by reFuse. It's a replica of the dbx boom boxes. I was looking for a dbx subharmonic synth but settled for this and am very happy with it. Deeeeep bass galore and it's only about 50 bucks.
Blessings
Nya
#18
21st January 2010
Old 21st January 2010
  #18
Gear Head
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: livonia, michigan
Posts: 34

you can't boost what ain't there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionaut View Post
what about boosting 50Hz?
fuuck

The point of the subharmonic SYNTH is to artificialy create bass that wasn't there before.
#19
21st January 2010
Old 21st January 2010
  #19
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILDEW View Post
The point of the subharmonic SYNTH is to artificialy create bass that wasn't there before.
Way to go! Call out that poster from 2007!

Oh, and the DBX 120X-DS is awesome.
#20
28th January 2010
Old 28th January 2010
  #20
Gear nut
 
rich robinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Southwest (UK)
Posts: 145

For what it's worth:

Big Mick Hughes uses a DBX 120A on Lars Ulrich's floor toms out on the road. His toms are thunderous. They make your eyes go funny in soundcheck.

I though they side chained low-end sine waves tones tuned below the toms until I got the chance to ask him what he was doing with them.

Fantastic live engineer. BIG SOUND.

Rich.
#21
3rd February 2010
Old 3rd February 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
Ditto.

Of all the sub units, I prefer the original SPL Vitalizer. The absolute worst would have to be the Behringer Ultrabass.
I know this is an old thread but how are you using the Vitalizer for sub bass... as a send effect or running stuff through it. I have the SX version. Is that the same one you're taking about?
#22
6th February 2010
Old 6th February 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Igotsoul4u's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneficial View Post
I know this is an old thread but how are you using the Vitalizer for sub bass... as a send effect or running stuff through it. I have the SX version. Is that the same one you're taking about?
The vitalizer is awesome!! I used to set it up for all the NYC hip hop guys on send and they would put the kick and bass thru it to taste. Really added glue to the bottom end.
#23
6th February 2010
Old 6th February 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Igotsoul4u's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabuone View Post
On the software side, check out the Lowender plug by reFuse. It's a replica of the dbx boom boxes. I was looking for a dbx subharmonic synth but settled for this and am very happy with it. Deeeeep bass galore and it's only about 50 bucks.
Blessings
Nya
have you used this in protools yet?? seems like its a work around.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
zulusound / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
5
KrisAnderson / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
UrbinSprawl / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
Gone Fission / So much gear, so little time!
4
faeflora / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.