New Reply
Subscribe
Fluency
22nd December 2006
Old 22nd December 2006
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Fluency Send a message via MSN to Fluency
TRS vs. TS - How Big of a Difference?

I'm using a ts cable now & realize it's the wrong one (the guy from sweetwater sent me an xlr-xlr by accident & the guy from radio shack gave me a ts instead of trs) when going from balanced to unbalanced.

i know there's supposedly a 4-6 db difference & the signal sounds better... & the wrong cable could potentially mess up your pre in the long run.

my question is, realistically how big of a difference would there be in sound quality? i'm getting rdy to go to radio shack here in a couple of hours to buy an adapter for trs (the trs-xlr's are out of stock) so the quicker the responses, the better... if there's not a huge difference then i might wait to buy one.

appreciate it -
ODZ
22nd December 2006
Old 22nd December 2006
ODZ
Gear nut

PTHD Certified Operator
Certified ICON expert

https://www.facebook.com/birdhousestudioseattle
http://www.avid.com/support/training...s/Owen_Strain_
Fluency
22nd December 2006
Old 22nd December 2006
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Fluency Send a message via MSN to Fluency
hah... i just picked up a the xlr-trs cable at a local music store, plugged it in, it sounds like a completely different mic. my sm7b put my nt1a to shame even w/ the wrong connection (sad)... so i didn't think too much about the wrong connectors. after i plugged the trs jack in, my line signal is completely silent (it was still pretty silent w/ the ts jack but there was still a little bit of interference), the gain was higher due to the drop off w/ the ts, so i turned it down & the mic sounds twice as bright & catches absolutely no hisses & pops - i was expecting the gain to go up & the line signal to be silent, but didn't know it'd actually have an effect on the sibilance. definitely shocked me.
25th December 2006
Old 25th December 2006
Gear Guru

For short runs, the difference between balanced and unbalanced shouldn't be great. That said it's always best to use the appropriate cabling and connectors. One should be PARTICULARLY wary of cheap, inline low-to-high-impedance transformers.

The only things I'm comfortable buying at Radio Shack, as a rule, are solid metal "connector-converters" and gender benders. (You know, RCA-female to 1/4" male, that kind of thing. Once you have wires involved, there's going to be SOLDER and that is something that a company with little regard for QC will end up screwing up.)

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
25th December 2006
Old 25th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by APOHStudios View Post
That S(shield) helps prevent interference.
i thought TRS stood for "tip-ring-sleeve"... if so, wouldn't the "sleeve" be for grounding?

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search