32-Bit Plugins: Solution found
New Reply
Subscribe
TreyM
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

32-Bit Plugins: Solution found

This is a solution I have found that has been working for all of my 32 bit plugins that also have VST versions. This workaround is really quite simple, more stable than Logic Pro 9's bit bridge so far for me, and I think, elegant.

It involves 2 pieces of software:

JBridgeM
Metaplugin by DDMF

There are demo versions available for both. Total cost is less than 60 USD for both.

The process is really simple:

Use JBridgeM to essentially create a 64 bit wrapper for the 32 bit VST
Open Logic Pro X
For effects load up Metaplugin on any track to load the bridged VST
For MIDI instruments load Metaplugin as a MIDI Controlled Effect on an instrument track

This has worked on everything I have thrown at it, but I figured I would spread the word with a thread and hopefully get some help with testing. I plan to make a list of working and non-working VSTs here in the OP.

----------------------
Known to be working:

VST Effects
Altiverb 6
Drumagog 5
Slate Trigger
Little Radiator

VST MIDI Instruments
Sylenth 1
VB3
Sampletron

----------------------
NOT Working:

n/a at the moment

----------------------
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

@ TreyM

Excellent work !!

€9.90 (JBridgeM) + $39 (Metaplugin) . . . . that's about £33 . . . . not too expensive for a working solution.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
My amps go to 11!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM View Post
This is a solution I have found that has been working for all of my 32 bit plugins that also have VST versions. This workaround is really quite simple, more stable than Logic Pro 9's bit bridge so far for me, and I think, elegant.

It involves 2 pieces of software:

JBridgeM
Metaplugin by DDMF

There are demo versions available for both. Total cost is less than 60 USD for both.

The process is really simple:

Use JBridgeM to essentially create a 64 bit wrapper for the 32 bit VST
Open Logic Pro X
For effects load up Metaplugin on any track to load the bridged VST
For MIDI instruments load Metaplugin as a MIDI Controlled Effect on an instrument track

This has worked on everything I have thrown at it, but I figured I would spread the word with a thread and hopefully get some help with testing. I plan to make a list of working and non-working VSTs here in the OP.
Question: Do you have to set this up for every project?
TreyM
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompower9 View Post
Question: Do you have to set this up for every project?
You could always set it up as basic channel strip settings and recall them that way.

You only have to bridge the VST once. That happens outside the daw. It's just a wrapper.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
My amps go to 11!

Thank You!!
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear nut

What a shame this method doesn't work with 32bit Audio Units, seems like Vienna is still the only solution there...
TreyM
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjesus View Post
What a shame this method doesn't work with 32bit Audio Units, seems like Vienna is still the only solution there...
There aren't very many AU only plugs that I can think of. Most have AU and VST versions, but yes, you are correct. Bidule can load 32 bit AUs I think, but I haven't tried it.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear interested

Not getting it done...?

Reached out to Trey with this issue, figured i'd drop it here too to gain some help with the Jbridge process.

Was confused what i need to do with Jbridge first to get things to run! Please your help would be so appreciated, this scenario has been so stressful for me being most of my current almost completed songs includes Sylenth.

I originally clicked Bridge 32bit plug ins, and then choose your VST Host, and i chose i'll be using 64 VST host, and it created bridges for all my VSTs in the folder it says.

Did i do it wrong?
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear interested

A Free solution...

22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djello View Post
Reached out to Trey with this issue, figured i'd drop it here too to gain some help with the Jbridge process.

Was confused what i need to do with Jbridge first to get things to run! Please your help would be so appreciated, this scenario has been so stressful for me being most of my current almost completed songs includes Sylenth.

I originally clicked Bridge 32bit plug ins, and then choose your VST Host, and i chose i'll be using 64 VST host, and it created bridges for all my VSTs in the folder it says.

Did i do it wrong?
Im' not in front of Logic right now, but that is the correct procedure IIRC. Once it bridges your VST and puts them in that folder, open an instance of Metaplugin in Logic, and drag&drop the bridged VST you want inside it. Then connect the virtual Midi cables ( In+Out ), and the Audio cables as well.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear maniac

"Hi

This is a great solution indeed... I've used that as inspiration to create a FREE way to run 32-bit plugins in Logic Pro X.

Have posted this as a written tutorial here:
How to Run 32-Bit Plug-Ins in Logic Pro X - Logic Pro - macProVideo.com Hub

(This works only with audio units and not the VST format)

Hope it helps,
Rounik"

Hey, great. You're the first one offering a direct solution.
Appreciated, that was quick.

Jig
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear maniac

22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

AU Lab is a nice solution. As for myself though, I prefer not to have 2 applications open (3 if you count running Soundflower) to have a plugin working. Feels too clunky for my tastes.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
AU Lab is a nice solution. As for myself though, I prefer not to have 2 applications open (3 if you count running Soundflower) to have a plugin working. Feels too clunky for my tastes.
Hopefully Lennar will release a OSX 64bit AU/VST version of Sylenth soon
TreyM
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sigmond View Post
Hopefully Lennar will release a OSX 64bit AU/VST version of Sylenth soon
Indeed. The best solution is native 64 bit plugins.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear interested

Trying out the demo, I've done the JBridgeM wrap but when I drag (or right click) the VSTs to the mapper, they never appear. Is that a quirk of the demo version or something malfunctioning?
TreyM
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Hector View Post
Trying out the demo, I've done the JBridgeM wrap but when I drag (or right click) the VSTs to the mapper, they never appear. Is that a quirk of the demo version or something malfunctioning?
Did you choose 64 bit host in JBridgeM? The bridged plugins are not located in /Library/Audio/Plugins/VST <- That directory holds the original unbridged plugins.

They are located in your username library: /*USERNAME*/Library/Audio/Plugins/VST/ <- The bridged plugins
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Head

To TreyM, this seems to be a really great solution for using Nebula. I'm sure many people know that nebula is only 32 bit in the AU version, so I was wondering how I could use it in Logic X.

Well, in fact I already have Vienna Ensemble Pro which can run the 32 bit AU plugin so that was fine but I wanted to check out your solution too, and run it as a 32 bit VST instead of AU. What I was very surprised to find was that using the VST via the hosting solution you suggested, I was able to get many more instances of nebula running simultaneously, without audio dropouts, than I could with the AU in VEP. About twice as many in fact. And also, something I previously noted with nebula AU version was that after you stop all audio, it keeps using the CPU as if audio was going through it, until you bypass it! The VST version didn't have this problem.

This makes me think that the nebula VST version is better optimised than the AU version. This is even with what I think are the optimum settings (eg 8 threads for processing etc, 4 buffers etc) on VEP, which is supposed to be better than Logic at distribution of CPU load. I don't know if the metaplugin adds lots of latency to ease the CPU load, this could be a reason, anyone know how much latency it adds?

Interested to know if anyone else has the same experience. Haven't tried this long enough to know if there are any bugs but fingers crossed it's stable...
TreyM
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj22 View Post
To TreyM, this seems to be a really great solution for using Nebula. I'm sure many people know that nebula is only 32 bit in the AU version, so I was wondering how I could use it in Logic X.

Well, in fact I already have Vienna Ensemble Pro which can run the 32 bit AU plugin so that was fine but I wanted to check out your solution too, and run it as a 32 bit VST instead of AU. What I was very surprised to find was that using the VST via the hosting solution you suggested, I was able to get many more instances of nebula running simultaneously, without audio dropouts, than I could with the AU in VEP. About twice as many in fact. And also, something I previously noted with nebula AU version was that after you stop all audio, it keeps using the CPU as if audio was going through it, until you bypass it! The VST version didn't have this problem.

This makes me think that the nebula VST version is better optimised than the AU version. This is even with what I think are the optimum settings (eg 8 threads for processing etc, 4 buffers etc) on VEP, which is supposed to be better than Logic at distribution of CPU load. I don't know if the metaplugin adds lots of latency to ease the CPU load, this could be a reason, anyone know how much latency it adds?

Interested to know if anyone else has the same experience. Haven't tried this long enough to know if there are any bugs but fingers crossed it's stable...
You may be onto something with your latency questions. As far as I know, Metaplugin has true Plugin Delay Compensation. It may be one of the only VST Chainer plugin made just for that purpose that does.
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear Head

Oh it seems I was being dumb, when I duplicated the tracks in logic with the Metaplugin, it didn't duplicate the fact I had 4 nebula instances loaded in it. Maybe as it's only the demo version.. So when I thought I had 4 tracks playing I actually only had 1. When I put the nebula instances in manually it managed the same as VEP.

Shame. But the CPU spiking even when audio not playing stopped being a problem, so not all bad...
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear nut

You guys are completely amazing for sharing this 'workaround'. I can't thank you enough!
TreyM
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_fuzz View Post
You guys are completely amazing for sharing this 'workaround'. I can't thank you enough!
Not a problem. Enjoy.
TreyM
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Can someone notify DDMF of this post? I think they should know where the sudden interest in their plugin is coming from. Perhaps they'll even add a bit bridge into Metaplugin and cut the need for JBridgeM! Or better yet, 32 bit AU support!
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear interested

Did you choose 64 bit host in JBridgeM?

Yes, I did pick 64-bit and the folder appeared in the appropriate place in the User Library. When I drag and drop them into the architecture, the green + appears but when I release to drop, nothing materializes.

And yes, have re-started LPX and the computer as well.
TreyM
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Hector View Post
Did you choose 64 bit host in JBridgeM?

Yes, I did pick 64-bit and the folder appeared in the appropriate place in the User Library. When I drag and drop them into the architecture, the green + appears but when I release to drop, nothing materializes.

And yes, have re-started LPX and the computer as well.
Have you used the right click menu in the plugin to load the VST? Try that instead of drag and dropping from finder.
Jus
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

You got Nebula working? Now I am really interested.., Last time I tried, Jbridge "saw" Nebula but did not wrap it as s result however.
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Hey guys, help me out here. I need reports of what works and what doesn't so I can make a decent list. Before reporting that a VST does not work, please verify that you can load another VST to make sure you are doing things correctly. Thanks

OP Updated with small initial compatibility list.
TNM
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may be onto something with your latency questions. As far as I know, Metaplugin has true Plugin Delay Compensation. It may be one of the only VST Chainer plugin made just for that purpose that does.
Yes but latency compensation with meta plugin is NOT working in logic and hasn't ever been. For some reason logic can't pick up the latency change. There is a way to do it as many plugins change dynamic latency and compensate fine.. And I informed ddmf a while back and he does want to fix it. Check it for yourself. Create two identical tracks with same kick drum. Add meta plugin. Add plugin with latency in meta plugin. See that logic doesn't compensate.
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

That is a shame. :(
TNM
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

for effects plugins there is a way better solution coming any day now anyway(not for instruments - yet)

tested it with jbridge today and latency compensation with some very latent antares avox plugin. FLAWLESS.

It's called Blue Cat MB7 Mixer V2.

I have been given the ok to talk about it (on the beta team)

it's a sub mixer for every channel.. as a simple insert. It provides splitting a signal anywhere from just one to SEVEN bands, 7 faders, analyser, solo monitoring, outside bypassed band monitoring, stereo width per band, mono monitoring, and 2 pre and 2 POST fader inserts PER band. It is MIND blowing. It's a complete game changer and if this doesn't put Blue cat on the map i don't know what will. Even each individual crossover can be set from like 6db steepness to like 96! with 6db increments! Crazy! So if you don't want to split the channel, just put it in single band mode and add up to 4 vst effects. If you want to turn ANY effect multiband, bob's your uncle and then some. Get read folks.. exciting times ahead. I am so privileged to already be using it.

I honestly believe this with jbridge is the ultimate solution for a Logic X bridge, i really do. Meta is cool though for INSTRUMENTS, basically both is best.. BC for plugins and meta for instruments.. tested sylenth vst demo in meta and worked flawless (don't tick performance mode though lol) so i can confirm that also as others have. Sylenth is perfectly usable in LogicX.. yay to sylenth fans!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search