New Reply
Subscribe
Alex Aliferis
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

A Free Step Sequencer Plug-in For Logic Pro X

Greetings Fellow Logic Users!

After much experimentation and revision, I've put together a basic step-sequencing script which runs inside of Logic Pro X as a MIDI effect.

It features-
Pitch settings for 16 steps
modulatable sequence start and end
Various note divisions with sync to tempo and sync to sequencer start
Note duration and output transpose

Best of all, it's free!

You can download it HERE

Cheers,
Alex Aliferis
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Thank you for sharing this!
TNM
1st August 2013
Old 1st August 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Wow thanks!
1st August 2013
Old 1st August 2013
Gear interested

How does it work exactly. I downloaded your file It had two files plus a readme. It said to put the 16-Step Sequencer Basic.pst file here User folder on your startup drive> Music> Audio Music Apps> Plug-in Settings>Scripter There wasn't a folder called scripter, so I created one and put it in it. I pulled up the LogicXBasicStepSequencer(01).logicx by double clicking on it and I do see the sequencer, but when I play my keyboard its not doing any sequencing that I am aware of. is there something else that I need to do to get it to work? I am a newbie so I do apologize in advance, for not knowing more. I figure thats how you learn, by just messing with this stuff.
1st August 2013
Old 1st August 2013
Gear interested

Nevermind Stupid me. Once I pushed play it worked. I guess I was assuming it was like the Arpeggiator and needed keyboard input. This is really cool Alex, thanks for this.
TNM
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

quite easy to use and shows stuff is possible like this, but sadly no possibility to exclude steps at all, so can't really see a use for it? Unless i am missing something and there is some way to skip(mute) steps?
TNM
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Ok sorry to say it definitely doesn't work at all here unless i load your logic song. If i open my own song and insert it on a synth, it shows just like it does in your song, and i even matched your default settings, but it simply does nothing.. Even with playback pressed..
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

nice to see someone getting into the scripting system.
TNM
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Ok sorry again, now it's working on logic close and reload. Really sorry for the wrong info, i tested it 5 times now since the message. All we need is a way to skip notes and it will actually be really useful. But i did have a crash. I only had one plugin on the master (a protection limiter) so i have no idea what caused it, whether the scripter or the 3rd party plug (nomad factory brickwall limiter)
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Gear Head

so they removed the step input keyboard from logic? surely not.
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Judy View Post
so they removed the step input keyboard from logic? surely not.
No.
Alex Aliferis
5th August 2013
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
quite easy to use and shows stuff is possible like this, but sadly no possibility to exclude steps at all, so can't really see a use for it? Unless i am missing something and there is some way to skip(mute) steps?
I could have easily added a ton of features once I had the basic engine running. The problem is that the user interface options provided in Logic's scripting system are extremely limited and don't let you have anything beyond the most basic say as to where controls are located (order only), there are no buttons, etc. This would lead to a tremendously long list of parameters which would be super-awkward to navigate and very anti-productivity.

My hope was that the higher level custom control panels would provide a solution to this, but it ends up that you can only assign destinations to controls within a pre-defined set of control layouts, none of which have enough knobs to actually be of use for a step sequencer.
5th August 2013
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

Excellent stuff Alex ! Good to see someone venture into scripting.
5th August 2013
Old 5th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post
Greetings Fellow Logic Users!

After much experimentation and revision, I've put together a basic step-sequencing script which runs inside of Logic Pro X as a MIDI effect.

It features-
Pitch settings for 16 steps
modulatable sequence start and end
Various note divisions with sync to tempo and sync to sequencer start
Note duration and output transpose

Best of all, it's free!

You can download it HERE

Cheers,
Alex Aliferis
Does your mega version run as a midi plugin with gui and all too?
Alex Aliferis
6th August 2013
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear

The OR-1m runs as a standalone app which can send and receive MIDI from sequencers like Logic or external hardware.

Due to the MIDI communication limitations of many formats, the OR-1m could never provide a large number of the features it does at present if it was a plugin of any sort.

It would be great if Apple wildly expanded on their scripting system, to include the ability to send and receive MIDI from any track, instrument, effect or control, but I don't see that happening.

I'll be posting a video shortly which demonstrates the OR-1m being used to write a song with Logic. It's a lot of fun, with randomly mutating melodic lines and drums parts often leading to unexpected and inspiring results.
6th August 2013
Old 6th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post
The OR-1m runs as a standalone app which can send and receive MIDI from sequencers like Logic or external hardware.

Due to the MIDI communication limitations of many formats, the OR-1m could never provide a large number of the features it does at present if it was a plugin of any sort.

It would be great if Apple wildly expanded on their scripting system, to include the ability to send and receive MIDI from any track, instrument, effect or control, but I don't see that happening.

I'll be posting a video shortly which demonstrates the OR-1m being used to write a song with Logic. It's a lot of fun, with randomly mutating melodic lines and drums parts often leading to unexpected and inspiring results.
So no market for building midi plugins with gui for logic x then :-(
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear maniac

Maybe it's premature to write it off. There may be some features that are not obvious, or can be coaxed out of the beast with a little hack ... errr ... tweaking.
We'll see.

BTW, Alex, I just stumbled onto this. Where are there some docs?
7th October 2013
Old 7th October 2013
Gear interested

it seems that i am the only one who wasn't be able to understand how to install it...
i do not have such folder... maybe i can't use it with mountain lion and logic pro 9?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search