Login / Register

Flex Align.. .Does Logic Pro X have this?
New Reply
Subscribe
johnnyws
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear interested

Flex Align.. .Does Logic Pro X have this?

I woke up this morning with the word Flex Align in my head. Was I just dreaming or does Logic Pro X have this? A feature that will align audio to a guide track like Vocalign does?

Johnny
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyws View Post
I woke up this morning with the word Flex Align in my head. Was I just dreaming or does Logic Pro X have this? A feature that will align audio to a guide track like Vocalign does?

Johnny
we have groove tracks now, where you can set a master groove track and sync other tracks to the groove of the master.
maybe this would work like vocalign if applied to vocal-tracks.
didn´t try it though.
johnnyws
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfger View Post
we have groove tracks now, where you can set a master groove track and sync other tracks to the groove of the master.
maybe this would work like vocalign if applied to vocal-tracks.
didn´t try it though.
I just finished downloading LPX. I will try the Groove Track feature. If they don't have this I imagine they will soon.
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just finished downloading LPX. I will try the Groove Track feature. If they don't have this I imagine they will soon.
Anyone end up getting this to work? Debating buying vocalign right now
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Johnny
You can quantise and region to any other region, and also drag the position of any Flex marker to any transient on any other track inLogic 9 and X. In X you can also quantise a track to another track without dealing with regions.
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
You can quantise and region to any other region, and also drag the position of any Flex marker to any transient on any other track inLogic 9 and X. In X you can also quantise a track to another track without dealing with regions.
That I know, but how does that feature compare to vocalign? I can't get it to work and sound natural
12th August 2013
Old 12th August 2013
Gear nut

Anyone?
I had some luck selecting my lead vocal as the main groove track and then selecting my harmony to align to it.
It's definitely an improvement.

Can anyone please test it against vocalign.
REVIEW OF WAVES CHRIS LORD ALGE SIGNATURE PLUGINS
I am a Waves Mercury Owner.(Thanks Tony B)
Mint Condition Euphonix MC Control for sale- PM ME!
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear nut

Anyone?
I am on the edge of buying Vocalign.
Vocalign cost more than Logic pro X. lol
So I would appreciate if someone that owns both can help out.
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undiscovered View Post
Anyone?
I am on the edge of buying Vocalign.
Vocalign cost more than Logic pro X. lol
So I would appreciate if someone that owns both can help out.
Why would you spend money on something that flex in monophonic mode can do for free? I just did manual alignment of a doubled vocal take last night and it took me all of 5 minutes...
TNM
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Some more info on that would be good TreyM as the OP is asking for help on that particular issue
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Some more info on that would be good TreyM as the OP is asking for help on that particular issue
It's pretty simple. Just choose flex mode in monophonic mode and align the wave forms by eye, then double check that it sounds ok, then make adjustments as required.
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

I used to do this in 9 w/o any problems... I did it manually.

I never liked vocalign BECAUSE I am too paranoid to let something like that be done automatically.

It never got as glove tight as I wanted using vocalign... Likewise, I didn't like the GUI... Just never intuitive enough for my tastes... Maybe had I really committed to learning it, but since logic handle it so well there was no need.

BTW ableton in foolish for not having a similar feature...
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear nut

Short version..
Vocal align is more trouble than its worth... (To me)

Long version...
Tightening vocals/bgvs/stacks.... Is an ear thing not a visual thing.
Using waveforms to align short consanant stuff can work but when you hear 'notes' you might want to rethink it.
Usually when someone is stacking a part they are blending with it. A lot of times it's easy to remove whats good about the way the notes resonate when you start moving waveforms around.

On certain projects that are poppy with a ton of vocals and heavy tuning and editing there is still a lot of benefit to tuning and aligning the stacks in such a way that they naturally resonate and have some pitch width between them. It ends up sounding more like an effect than if you were to manipulate and tweak it further.

Melodyne/Flex time and pitch I think may take a little more time with a superior result over vocal align that visually gets you where you want, but not sonically.
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
Short version..
Vocal align is more trouble than its worth... (To me)

Long version...
Tightening vocals/bgvs/stacks.... Is an ear thing not a visual thing.
Using waveforms to align short consanant stuff can work but when you hear 'notes' you might want to rethink it.
Usually when someone is stacking a part they are blending with it. A lot of times it's easy to remove whats good about the way the notes resonate when you start moving waveforms around.

On certain projects that are poppy with a ton of vocals and heavy tuning and editing there is still a lot of benefit to tuning and aligning the stacks in such a way that they naturally resonate and have some pitch width between them. It ends up sounding more like an effect than if you were to manipulate and tweak it further.

Melodyne/Flex time and pitch I think may take a little more time with a superior result over vocal align that visually gets you where you want, but not sonically.
It is just as much a visual thing as an ear thing. Aligning a vocal perfectly without visual cues is impossible. Of course you have to double check how it sounds and then re-adjust.
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM View Post
It is just as much a visual thing as an ear thing. Aligning a vocal perfectly without visual cues is impossible. Of course you have to double check how it sounds and then re-adjust.
I guess I assumed incorrectly that since what you are saying is true, it is impossible, that I wouldn't have to state it.
So to be clear, I don't edit with my eyes closed.

My point, to the OP, is that vocal align is a tool that lines up starts and ends.
Maybe not the best way to get the fattest, thickest sounding stacks. Not even the best way to get the 'perfect' sound... In my opinion.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search