Am I the only one who doesnt like how logic X looks??
ChristianW
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear interested

Am I the only one who doesnt like how logic X looks??

Am I the only one who doesnt like how the interface look for Logic Pro X ?

To me it looks like Garage Band!
If you dont think so,
Quick tell me which one is Logic Pro X and which one is GarageBAND !!

screenshot green

screencast

I know you guys can tell, but you had to examine for a bit didnt you?
I put the transport control on top for Garage Band to see how it looks.

I think its the reason why people call it Garage Band PRO.
Not that it IS garage band pro, But because it LOOKS like a Garage Band PRO.

I Just love the look of my Logic Pro 9

photo share

I know I will eventually like it,
(like a new model car when they change shape, it takes a little while to like it)

What say you? Just purely based on aesthetics,
which DAW do you prefer, if its another DAW, then which ones ?

19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear nut

dont like dark interfaces either, it feels depressing. For me it is a real dealbreaker, i dont do advanced midi/audio editing so for me any daw works and therefore gui is very important to me

think complaining about transport on top is a bit silly, does it really matter whether it is on top or at the bottom. Im already glad it doesnt float
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear Head

Ha! You must not be checking out the other LPX threads. Plenty of folks complaining about it.

Personally I dig it. There's always a few things I don't like about a new UI but overall this one is nice. Taking me a bit of time to get used to transport at top but not that big of a deal...
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

You have Logic X in GarageBand mode (that's why you have the GarageBand-esque wooden side panels in Logic X), you need to go into your preferences (advanced) and switch it over to Logic X mode.
ChristianW
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
You have Logic X in GarageBand mode (that's why you have the GarageBand-esque wooden side panels in Logic X), you need to go into your preferences (advanced) and switch it over to Logic X mode.
OH lol, i didn't know, I didn't buy Logic X yet, this was a youtube screen shot.
I will eventually buy Logic X but I just can't get over how it looks yet. I personally love how Logic 9 looks.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianW View Post
OH lol, i didn't know, I didn't buy Logic X yet, this was a youtube screen shot.
I will eventually buy Logic X but I just can't get over how it looks yet. I personally love how Logic 9 looks.
Yeah, that shot is in GB mode.

Agreed Logic 9 looks nice. But I think X is much nicer, everything feels so much more polished, cleaner, neater - I think you need to spend a couple of days with it to get a real feel.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

On my Retina display the new GUI is sooo much better.

I just can't believe they left so much unfinished. Please rid us of the Logic 9 plug in interfaces.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

My issue with gui is that you canĀ“t hide the Control Bar(transport) and leave the Tool bar visible...kind of crappy, especially since there is separate key commands for showing/hiding them. Waste of space many times since you often wont need both visible.

Logic 9 handled this way better
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU10K1 View Post
dont like dark interfaces either, it feels depressing

think complaining about transport on top is a bit silly, does it really matter whether it is on top or at the bottom. Im already glad it doesnt float
At least we know the reason if our compositions/songs will become more moody!

But I agree that maybe the GUI is now too dark.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear addict

In logic 8, the tiny grey text over a slightly less grey background wasn't doing much for me. New one is better.

I could give a rat's ass about 'it looks like garage band !!!1111!!!111!!'.

It's not a fashion show. If logic 9 looks best to you and that's a big priority, by all means stick with 9.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

It's ok at best. The same as the whole release.

To wait 4 years and release something that does not even catch up with competition is crazy!
Logic pro x will be "outdated" in months.
And everyone can look forward to 4 years of pleasure looking at competition leave apple in the dust.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

I prefer the darker look of LPX. L9 was too bright for me, too distracting. Also, I think they are trying to give it the same look as FinalCut X.
But it's still a work in progress I think. The plugins haven't been redesigned for example.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear addict

The new skin looks a 1000 times better.
It has a way better separation between everything and the color used are easily seeable from a distance.

But if you go deeper into Logic you would know that its just a skin.
Apple hasn't touched the audio of midi enige at all. Now thats a real problem.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch View Post
The new skin looks a 1000 times better.
It has a way better separation between everything and the color used are easily seeable from a distance.
I have to disagree. Its hard to see a black font from the gray background.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear addict

I dont like the new gui at all. It feels very consumer..nor pro at all..a definate dumbing down. After 4years or so you would have thought they could have at least re done the old plugin gui's.
To me the whole thing looks very 'old apple' with faux leather textures etc not like the nice new direction with ios7..flatter more futuristic gfx etc..a real shame they didn't inspire us "pro's" with a clean futuristic program and new creative toys. No new exs even! Seems apple have never heard of granular or spectral audio :(
If you ask me all the legacy pluins could do with a sonic update..they sounded great in 2003 but c'mon...
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
On my Retina display the new GUI is sooo much better.

I just can't believe they left so much unfinished. Please rid us of the Logic 9 plug in interfaces.
Yes, the new interface is stunning, clear and sharp and a pleasure to work with, then you open up a legacy plugin and it looks like it came from another planet! I really hope they update the look of the older plugins to reflect the current look ...
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

There's a huge amount of empty, wasted space. Not to mention stuff like the outline head shots of the various "drummers" when using the Drummer feature. Lots of great new features, some even beyond what I wanted, but the interface really needs to be more customizable.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

I prefer the new look.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I much prefer the new waveforms and midi display, but prefer the old look.

Don't worry, it can be reskinned, I've looked into it.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

It looks awful, imo. But that's the least of the things that let me down after 4 years of waiting for the 10th version of Logic.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Hate the way it looks. Felt like it wasn't so bad after a day with it, then opened Logic 9 by mistake and realised how much better it looked and how economical it was with space.

The Piano scroll having the quantise setting on the left taking up all that space is really stupid as well.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
I much prefer the new waveforms and midi display, but prefer the old look.

Don't worry, it can be reskinned, I've looked into it.
Me too, but I'm having trouble tracking down all the resources, I've checked in the usual places but they are not all there . . . . any clues ?
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
Me too, but I'm having trouble tracking down all the resources, I've checked in the usual places but they are not all there . . . . any clues ?
Someone mentioned xml files on logicpro help.

Clues in there probably, unless they are rendered at launch, they will be somewhere and can nearly always be replaced at some level.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

With the Logic Pro 9 I rarely used the full screen function but with this I have found myself preferring it more and more.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Someone mentioned xml files on logicpro help.

Clues in there probably, unless they are rendered at launch, they will be somewhere and can nearly always be replaced at some level.
Cheers, I have plans for the drummers.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianW View Post
OH lol, i didn't know, I didn't buy Logic X yet
Bingo - and 90% of the noise coming out about LP X is from people who haven't used it and probably never will.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

As I'm spending more time in it, the two things that bother me the most so far about the looks , is that things are too freaking big, even if you streamline the mixer. Also, it really needs more visual separation in the mixer channels, and the inspectors.
Other than that, I like it overall.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
I am really liking the new GUI, to me it looks much more professional, actual faders, not the square box with numbers. I like the layout, in full screen mode it's just awesome to look at and work in, the layout of the channel strips is super cool.

I use a 52" TV as a monitor as I don't want my monitor in between my speakers, it messes up the stereo field. On this TV the overall dark GUI is a much nicer experience in regards to eye fatigue and overall brightness. Logic 9 is so bright.

Personally I could give to craps about how it looks compared to Garageband. People choose to work with me for the product we produce, not what the GUI of my DAW looks like or doesn't look like. Even though LX I think will be much more "impressive" to clients vs L9.

You can just turn off a lot of the fluff, pictures of instruments and such.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

I just made the whole interface even more contrasty and darker (using Acessibility ), and I like it better. LPX sounds even better now because the whole interface kind of fades away and interferes less visually.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
At least we know the reason if our compositions/songs will become more moody!

But I agree that maybe the GUI is now too dark.
....or people will overcompensate and there will be a collective bump of 3k.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search