Login / Register
 
Logic Pro X vs Pro Tools 11?
New Reply
Subscribe
Systanatic
Thread Starter
#1
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #1
Gear nut
 
Systanatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 146

Thread Starter
Systanatic is offline
Logic Pro X vs Pro Tools 11?

Pros vs Cons???
#2
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #2
Gear interested
 
Peter P Klassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3

Peter P Klassen is offline
The major pro is that Logic has most of the plugins I use available at launch. Pro Tools 11 doesn't have many at all at the moment. Still like Pro Tools for editing and mixing better. Logic is awesome for composing music. I still see myself needing both. Hopefully down the road I can just pick one.
Quote
5
#3
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,211

Clonkified is offline
+1 - still have their own individual strengths...same as before. PT for mixing / editing. Logic for composing / production. Logic definitely wins right now from a "can I use it" standpoint just because it has way more plugins available.
Quote
1
#4
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Canuk
Posts: 6,141

T_R_S is offline
Use both
#5
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
popmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,689

popmann is offline
Use neither.
#6
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Myrok's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,281

Myrok is offline
Don't use. Just say no.
#7
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 923

ssprod19 is offline
I get that Logic is better for composing, as it has very good stock VST instruments and excellent MIDI features. But can someone explain why people prefer PT for mixing / editing?
Jus
#8
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #8
Jus
Lives for gear
 
Jus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 597

Jus is offline
Having grown up with PT and still having both, I nowadays prefer Logic for everything. PT handles VIs very poorly. Audio editing (IMHO, at least for my purposes whih include lot of guitar and bass editing as well) has been as good in Logic as in PT ever since Logic invented its "marquee tool zone". The wave graphic in LP9 was quite bad but that has been improved a lot; in LPX it is sharp and beautiful.

So at least if you're using lot of VIs, there is no reason to use PT for anything, I'd say. Obviously it is a matter of habit and personal taste too.
__________________
http://logicxinterfaces.wordpress.com
www.myspace.com/pukspace
Quote
3
#9
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,681

Rufuss Sewell is offline
Lack of custom key commands (shortcuts) makes Pro Tools unbearable to me.
Quote
1
#10
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #10
Gear interested
 
dred's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Poland

dred is offline
I see Logic as a great tool for composing. Did they change anything about sending Logic's session to PT?
#11
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #11
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 4,721

offki is offline
Just compare the Pro and Cons of Logic 9 and pretend it has less HW support, a faster interface, basic melodyne and some midi plug ins and folders

You'll be pretty much spot on.
Quote
1
#12
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 2,039

RyanC is offline
As far as pro's and cons with PT 11 it should be noted that 11 has excellent VI performance, dynamic processing is working smoothly and it does not have single core peaking issues. AAE can record enable or monitor a larger amount of tracks on the small buffer than logic can because the small buffer is not limited to only one core.

Logic obviously has many other pro's, a ton of usable to good bundled software, and is a great app (I'll be upgrading to X) but if this thread is logic X vs PT11 poor VI performance in PT is a thing of the past...PT does suffer from poor developer performance for now.
Quote
1
#13
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #13
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 318

apoclypse is offline
One big pro for ProTools is that it has a modern revamped core.
Quote
2
#14
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #14
Gear maniac
 
Hricco's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 284

Hricco is offline
So,

I'm actually not sure what to do here, LPX or PT11 I'm on Pro Tools 10 and Logic Pro 9 right now, but at this moment in time, I can only afford to update one of them. So I have been weighing the pros and cons pretty heavily. And I'm thinking Logic Pro X, One because I do allot of producing for bands, lots of live instruments, as well as VI's logic's makes it easy to get stuff down fast, and then I shoot it over to protools for the mix, anyway, great thread, I'll keep an eye on it.....
Quote
1
#15
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia.
Posts: 706

Send a message via AIM to mattrixx Send a message via Skype™ to mattrixx
mattrixx is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hricco View Post
So,

I'm actually not sure what to do here, LPX or PT11 I'm on Pro Tools 10 and Logic Pro 9 right now, but at this moment in time, I can only afford to update one of them. So I have been weighing the pros and cons pretty heavily. And I'm thinking Logic Pro X, One because I do allot of producing for bands, lots of live instruments, as well as VI's logic's makes it easy to get stuff down fast, and then I shoot it over to protools for the mix, anyway, great thread, I'll keep an eye on it.....
Yes, I have both LPX and PT11HD and if you want to use PT 11 right now, make sure your plugs are available. In my case, it's prett much useless to me right now and sticking with 10Hd for work.

LogicProx on the other hand has been incredible. Even asked me if I want to import all of my 15yr developed key commands etc. Worked flawlessly.

The ipad app is incredible... Every possible key command available at your customized fingertips. Plus the other pages of fun. Oh, and they didn't break Mackie/Logic control... Winning!
__________________
Regards,
Matt

www.mattrixx.net
Quote
1
#16
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,211

Clonkified is offline
Agreed - if you are choosing between one or the other right now, I say go with Logic X. Just for the simple fact of plug-in support.

PT 11 is pretty sweet (rebuilt from the ground up), but AAX support is severely lacking. Give it 6 - 12 months.
Quote
1
#17
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
hobson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 795

hobson is offline
Protools goes to 11
Quote
1
#18
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #18
Gear maniac
 
Hricco's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 284

Hricco is offline
ALRIGHT you guys really helped, I was pretty much leaning toward Logic Pro X anyway,

Right now, in PT10 I have the Waves gold bundle and SSL bundle which I constantly use. Will they be supported in LPX and later on in PT11?
#19
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #19
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 191

teedoff087 is offline
If you have the 64-bit AU components, yes they will work in Logic X. For PT 11, you need AAX.
Quote
1
#20
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #20
Gear interested
 
dan.gonko's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 21

dan.gonko is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Lack of custom key commands (shortcuts) makes Pro Tools unbearable to me.
If you're on a Mac, you can easily create custom shortcuts via System Prefs->Keyboard, then configure some application specific shortcuts. I have a number set up for myself that drastically speed up my workflow!
#21
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere between France and Absurdistan
Posts: 2,071

spaceman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hricco View Post
Right now, in PT10 I have the Waves gold bundle and SSL bundle which I constantly use. Will they be supported in LPX and later on in PT11?
All Waves plugins are 64bit, so yes they will work in LPX
#22
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Cover'd's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008

Cover'd is offline
Gotta love the irony...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
#23
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
  #23
Gear Head
 
stonelark's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific Northwest

stonelark is offline
Another thing to seriously consider .... how long will Avid (and Pro Tools) be financially viable? They are in a world of financial hurt. If you invest in Pro Tools, will they be around next year? If someone acquires them, will the new owners continue to evolve the software, or will it flounder.

Avid's share price which has dropped 60% in the last year. They have also lost a lot cash, a whopping $150 million in 2008, getting better year on year to just over a $20 million loss for the year ending December 31st. To top it off, they just lost another 17 million in the 3rd Quarter this year. They are down to just 71 million in the bank. It takes a lot of spare cash to pay engineers to advance and evolve a software product.

Quote
3
#24
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
  #24
Gear interested
 
jorgefilemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 14

jorgefilemon is offline
Quote:

Avid's share price which has dropped 60% in the last year. They have also lost a lot cash, a whopping $150 million in 2008, getting better year on year to just over a $20 million loss for the year ending December 31st. To top it off, they just lost another 17 million in the 3rd Quarter this year. They are down to just 71 million in the bank. It takes a lot of spare cash to pay engineers to advance and evolve a software product.
wow! where did you get all this info?
#25
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 2,039

RyanC is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgefilemon View Post
wow! where did you get all this info?
I'm particularly interested in how someone has the quarterly reports for Q3 2013...
#26
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
  #26
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 266

Philter is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
Another thing to seriously consider .... how long will Avid (and Pro Tools) be financially viable? They are in a world of financial hurt. If you invest in Pro Tools, will they be around next year? If someone acquires them, will the new owners continue to evolve the software, or will it flounder.

Avid's share price which has dropped 60% in the last year. They have also lost a lot cash, a whopping $150 million in 2008, getting better year on year to just over a $20 million loss for the year ending December 31st. To top it off, they just lost another 17 million in the 3rd Quarter this year. They are down to just 71 million in the bank. It takes a lot of spare cash to pay engineers to advance and evolve a software product.

Yet ProTools has recently been entirely rewritten from the ground up, while Apple recycled the same Logic code from how long ago? 4 years without an update and then a tiny update... what gives you any reason to believe Logic is not basically EOL (end of life?) Avid cares about ProTools because it's their main source of income. Can you say anything remotely similar about Apple and Logic? I think Logic is an afterthought for Apple.
Quote
2
#27
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Nashville, Tn
Posts: 675

dankin is online now
I'm way more excited about PT 11 (once all the plugins catch up) than Logic X. I've been a Logic user since V4 and X doesn't address any of my frustrations with it on the audio side. On the other hand PT 11 has addressed my main frustration with PT which was the horrible performance with Virtual Instruments.
__________________
MacPro 2.8 "Nehalem" quad, 12gRam, Osx 10.7.3 | Cubase 6.5, Logic 9.1.6, Pro Tools 10.2, DSP-Quattro, VePro 5 | SSL AlphaLinkAX, SSL MadiExtreme 64 | Api 3124+ , Focusrite Isa-428, Distressor, dbx-160x | Pro Ac 100s, Ns-10's , Avantone's | to many plugins and VI's to list | lots of mics as well
Quote
1
#28
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
  #28
Gear Head
 
stonelark's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific Northwest

stonelark is offline
@ryanc --

So sorry, that was a 2012-Q3 number! But look up any public Avid financial results; they have been bleeding money quarter after quarter. Things have gone from bad to worse. They have been selling off pieces, including M-Audio. They have been laying off employees in significant numbers.

There are plenty of scary online readings about class-action lawsuits, NASDAQ warning letters, etc.

Here's a gearslutz thread about Avid financial woes.

I can't predict Avid's future. But ... if I was making a fresh decision about a major product purchase, if I learn that the company that will be supporting and evolving a product is having serious financial problems, that is a huge red flag.
#29
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,140

work2do is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
Another thing to seriously consider .... how long will Avid (and Pro Tools) be financially viable? They are in a world of financial hurt. If you invest in Pro Tools, will they be around next year? If someone acquires them, will the new owners continue to evolve the software, or will it flounder.
People have been killing off PT since the late 90's. Logic is great for composition, minus the workarounds and same bugs since v8. But I would be much more worried about the future of Logic than PT. Apple is selling it as a $199 app. They haven't fixed the show stopping bugs and after 4 years don't seem too interested in that. With the super profitable iphone, ipad, itunes, ifamily that built the billions how much does apple really spend time on Logic development. With their focus on consumers what will become of Logic. I don't see another major Logic update coming. This one took 4 years.

Steinberg has been sold many times. So has Samplitude/Sequioa (sek'd>emagic>magix), Logic, Cakewalk. Other than Nuendo, every other daw is useless for Post and Post is where the real money and budgets are in the audio field. The parent company may change but PT will be here.
Quote
1
#30
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
  #30
Surrounded By Music
 
HDJK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Winterthur, Switzerland
Posts: 436

HDJK is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
... Avid cares about ProTools because it's their main source of income. Can you say anything remotely similar about Apple and Logic? I think Logic is an afterthought for Apple.
Is this a known fact? IIRC Protools was Digidesign and bought by Avid, who's main income is their video editing suite. I could be wrong though. But in any case, with FCPX and LPX I agree with your sentiment that the new pro apps are probably not that important to apple than the new iOS 7...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.