18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear nut

Logic Pro X vs Pro Tools 11?

Pros vs Cons???
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear interested

The major pro is that Logic has most of the plugins I use available at launch. Pro Tools 11 doesn't have many at all at the moment. Still like Pro Tools for editing and mixing better. Logic is awesome for composing music. I still see myself needing both. Hopefully down the road I can just pick one.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

+1 - still have their own individual strengths...same as before. PT for mixing / editing. Logic for composing / production. Logic definitely wins right now from a "can I use it" standpoint just because it has way more plugins available.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Use both
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Use neither.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Don't use. Just say no.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

I get that Logic is better for composing, as it has very good stock VST instruments and excellent MIDI features. But can someone explain why people prefer PT for mixing / editing?
Jus
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

Having grown up with PT and still having both, I nowadays prefer Logic for everything. PT handles VIs very poorly. Audio editing (IMHO, at least for my purposes whih include lot of guitar and bass editing as well) has been as good in Logic as in PT ever since Logic invented its "marquee tool zone". The wave graphic in LP9 was quite bad but that has been improved a lot; in LPX it is sharp and beautiful.

So at least if you're using lot of VIs, there is no reason to use PT for anything, I'd say. Obviously it is a matter of habit and personal taste too.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Lack of custom key commands (shortcuts) makes Pro Tools unbearable to me.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear interested

I see Logic as a great tool for composing. Did they change anything about sending Logic's session to PT?
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Just compare the Pro and Cons of Logic 9 and pretend it has less HW support, a faster interface, basic melodyne and some midi plug ins and folders

You'll be pretty much spot on.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

As far as pro's and cons with PT 11 it should be noted that 11 has excellent VI performance, dynamic processing is working smoothly and it does not have single core peaking issues. AAE can record enable or monitor a larger amount of tracks on the small buffer than logic can because the small buffer is not limited to only one core.

Logic obviously has many other pro's, a ton of usable to good bundled software, and is a great app (I'll be upgrading to X) but if this thread is logic X vs PT11 poor VI performance in PT is a thing of the past...PT does suffer from poor developer performance for now.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear addict

One big pro for ProTools is that it has a modern revamped core.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear maniac

So,

I'm actually not sure what to do here, LPX or PT11 I'm on Pro Tools 10 and Logic Pro 9 right now, but at this moment in time, I can only afford to update one of them. So I have been weighing the pros and cons pretty heavily. And I'm thinking Logic Pro X, One because I do allot of producing for bands, lots of live instruments, as well as VI's logic's makes it easy to get stuff down fast, and then I shoot it over to protools for the mix, anyway, great thread, I'll keep an eye on it.....
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to mattrixx Send a message via Skype™ to mattrixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hricco View Post
So,

I'm actually not sure what to do here, LPX or PT11 I'm on Pro Tools 10 and Logic Pro 9 right now, but at this moment in time, I can only afford to update one of them. So I have been weighing the pros and cons pretty heavily. And I'm thinking Logic Pro X, One because I do allot of producing for bands, lots of live instruments, as well as VI's logic's makes it easy to get stuff down fast, and then I shoot it over to protools for the mix, anyway, great thread, I'll keep an eye on it.....
Yes, I have both LPX and PT11HD and if you want to use PT 11 right now, make sure your plugs are available. In my case, it's prett much useless to me right now and sticking with 10Hd for work.

LogicProx on the other hand has been incredible. Even asked me if I want to import all of my 15yr developed key commands etc. Worked flawlessly.

The ipad app is incredible... Every possible key command available at your customized fingertips. Plus the other pages of fun. Oh, and they didn't break Mackie/Logic control... Winning!

www.mattrixx.net
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Agreed - if you are choosing between one or the other right now, I say go with Logic X. Just for the simple fact of plug-in support.

PT 11 is pretty sweet (rebuilt from the ground up), but AAX support is severely lacking. Give it 6 - 12 months.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Protools goes to 11
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear maniac

ALRIGHT you guys really helped, I was pretty much leaning toward Logic Pro X anyway,

Right now, in PT10 I have the Waves gold bundle and SSL bundle which I constantly use. Will they be supported in LPX and later on in PT11?
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear maniac

If you have the 64-bit AU components, yes they will work in Logic X. For PT 11, you need AAX.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Lack of custom key commands (shortcuts) makes Pro Tools unbearable to me.
If you're on a Mac, you can easily create custom shortcuts via System Prefs->Keyboard, then configure some application specific shortcuts. I have a number set up for myself that drastically speed up my workflow!
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hricco View Post
Right now, in PT10 I have the Waves gold bundle and SSL bundle which I constantly use. Will they be supported in LPX and later on in PT11?
All Waves plugins are 64bit, so yes they will work in LPX
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Gotta love the irony...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Head

Another thing to seriously consider .... how long will Avid (and Pro Tools) be financially viable? They are in a world of financial hurt. If you invest in Pro Tools, will they be around next year? If someone acquires them, will the new owners continue to evolve the software, or will it flounder.

Avid's share price which has dropped 60% in the last year. They have also lost a lot cash, a whopping $150 million in 2008, getting better year on year to just over a $20 million loss for the year ending December 31st. To top it off, they just lost another 17 million in the 3rd Quarter this year. They are down to just 71 million in the bank. It takes a lot of spare cash to pay engineers to advance and evolve a software product.

20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear interested

Quote:

Avid's share price which has dropped 60% in the last year. They have also lost a lot cash, a whopping $150 million in 2008, getting better year on year to just over a $20 million loss for the year ending December 31st. To top it off, they just lost another 17 million in the 3rd Quarter this year. They are down to just 71 million in the bank. It takes a lot of spare cash to pay engineers to advance and evolve a software product.
wow! where did you get all this info?
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgefilemon View Post
wow! where did you get all this info?
I'm particularly interested in how someone has the quarterly reports for Q3 2013...
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
Another thing to seriously consider .... how long will Avid (and Pro Tools) be financially viable? They are in a world of financial hurt. If you invest in Pro Tools, will they be around next year? If someone acquires them, will the new owners continue to evolve the software, or will it flounder.

Yet ProTools has recently been entirely rewritten from the ground up, while Apple recycled the same Logic code from how long ago? 4 years without an update and then a tiny update... what gives you any reason to believe Logic is not basically EOL (end of life?) Avid cares about ProTools because it's their main source of income. Can you say anything remotely similar about Apple and Logic? I think Logic is an afterthought for Apple.
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

I'm way more excited about PT 11 (once all the plugins catch up) than Logic X. I've been a Logic user since V4 and X doesn't address any of my frustrations with it on the audio side. On the other hand PT 11 has addressed my main frustration with PT which was the horrible performance with Virtual Instruments.
MacPro 2.8 "Nehalem" quad, 12gRam, Osx 10.7.3 | Cubase 6.5, Logic 9.1.6, Pro Tools 10.2, DSP-Quattro, VePro 5 | SSL AlphaLinkAX, SSL MadiExtreme 64 | Api 3124+ , Focusrite Isa-428, Distressor, dbx-160x | Pro Ac 100s, Ns-10's , Avantone's | to many plugins and VI's to list | lots of mics as well
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Head

@ryanc --

So sorry, that was a 2012-Q3 number! But look up any public Avid financial results; they have been bleeding money quarter after quarter. Things have gone from bad to worse. They have been selling off pieces, including M-Audio. They have been laying off employees in significant numbers.

There are plenty of scary online readings about class-action lawsuits, NASDAQ warning letters, etc.

Here's a gearslutz thread about Avid financial woes.

I can't predict Avid's future. But ... if I was making a fresh decision about a major product purchase, if I learn that the company that will be supporting and evolving a product is having serious financial problems, that is a huge red flag.
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
People have been killing off PT since the late 90's. Logic is great for composition, minus the workarounds and same bugs since v8. But I would be much more worried about the future of Logic than PT. Apple is selling it as a $199 app. They haven't fixed the show stopping bugs and after 4 years don't seem too interested in that. With the super profitable iphone, ipad, itunes, ifamily that built the billions how much does apple really spend time on Logic development. With their focus on consumers what will become of Logic. I don't see another major Logic update coming. This one took 4 years.

Steinberg has been sold many times. So has Samplitude/Sequioa (sek'd>emagic>magix), Logic, Cakewalk. Other than Nuendo, every other daw is useless for Post and Post is where the real money and budgets are in the audio field. The parent company may change but PT will be here.
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Surrounded By Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
... Avid cares about ProTools because it's their main source of income. Can you say anything remotely similar about Apple and Logic? I think Logic is an afterthought for Apple.
Is this a known fact? IIRC Protools was Digidesign and bought by Avid, who's main income is their video editing suite. I could be wrong though. But in any case, with FCPX and LPX I agree with your sentiment that the new pro apps are probably not that important to apple than the new iOS 7...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search