Logic Pro X - Should I Upgrade?
New Reply
Subscribe
BrainstuHammy
17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Head

Logic Pro X - Should I Upgrade?

Reading lots of opinions and the Pros/Cons of this new software. I've been using Logic Pro 9 for a few years now and love it. Only major con I have with Logic 9 is it is nowhere near as easy to cut/paste/edit audio tracks in multitrack as it is in Adobe Audition CS6, so I don't use Logic for radio imaging.

The new software looks slick, easier to edit audio in multitrack and the mixer looks gorgeous. The Drummer plugin looks great despite me already having Drumagog, but the samples I heard sounded awesome.

Here is my MBP system info. It's an early 2011 17 inch model

I just purchased the 16GB RAM upgrade to speed up memory sucking apps like Logic and Premiere Pro.

I guess my questions are:

- Since I purchased Logic 9 from the app store, is there an upgrade price that isn't 200 bucks? Couldn't find a clear answer.
- I am purchasing a new interface to work with newer versions of OSX because the one I have now sometimes chooses not to work properly with 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard is last supported OSX, interface is 5 years old). Is it worth upgrading to Mountain Lion to get Logic X?
- If I do upgrade to Mountain Lion, will my system stats even with 16GB RAM work smoothly with Logic X?
- Should I just purchase a new machine entirely? Eventually planning on getting a new iMac or if the new Mac Pro isn't an arm and a leg to buy, but I don't have that kind of money now.
- And final question is has anyone used this and can give an honest user review?

I don't use synths that often. I mostly deal with Rock/Punk/Metal bands.

Thanks a lot guys. Cheers!
17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure it is 200 to anyone. Considering Logic used to be $1000 and Logic 9 was $499 initially, this is not too bad.

I am told it installs along side Logic 9 too. I hope this helps!

One caveat: Logic X is 64 bit only so 32 bit plugs no more...
BrainstuHammy
17th July 2013
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Head

Thankfully me being one that doesn't have that much money only has 2 third party plugins besides stock Logic Plugins. Hopefully Drumagog and Ozone 5 Advanced work and if they use the same project file types I can switch between X and 9
Jus
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

For now, Drumagog is 32 bit only and does not work.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear interested

upgrade yes

I am going for the upgrade. I work with a composer, and do the tech end. I may use more of the electronic synths and sampling than you, but there are loads of benefits for the rocker too. The B3 sounds amazing, and has a slider that morphs between two slider settings. The drummer feature could be a usable tool for jamming out an idea. I have been watching the new macprovideo.com training that was released the same day as Logic X. There are six courses plus a free overview of all the new items in X.

What’s New In Logic Pro X - Logic Pro 100 - macProVideo.com

Check that out and I'm sure you'll see some benefits for your style. I honestly think this is the best DAW upgrade of the decade.

I also watched Macprovideo's Logic Remote and Smart Controls courses, and they were great. The possibilities with routing, performance and especially automation have improved significantly.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

. . . . Logic Pro X - Should I Upgrade?. . .

Why not (cost aside) ? It's not really an upgrade, it's more of a new product as you install it along side Logic9.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear maniac

Yup, you are buying other DAW.
BrainstuHammy
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Head

Well that just sucks to read Jus. I honestly had no idea Drumagog was 32. If Drumagog doesn't load, I'm hoping projects I make in X can load into 9. I can't find an answer on Google. If they can't, I played around with the drummer plugin at my buddies studio and it was very fun to listen to. The samples sound badass.

The price alone is amazing. Even the new mixer I got to record drums plus Logic X is less than what I'd pay for Pro Tools 11. Not knocking Pro Tools, just I don't have the money for it.

I just read Logic X can open Logic 9 projects so all of my current stuff will load, hopefully with no issues.

I think I'm completely sold after trying it at my buddies studio who just upgraded to it. I'm just concerned if my MBP will be able to handle Logic X. With the 16GB of RAM I'm upgrading soon hopefully later this week it shouldn't freeze.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainstuHammy View Post
I just read Logic X can open Logic 9 projects so all of my current stuff will load, hopefully with no issues.
Obviously any tracks using 32bit plug ins will needed to be bounced to audio before moving the project over to Logic X.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear interested

22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

BrainstuHammy
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Head

Wow! Thank you! I also just read that my Tascam USB interface has a Mountain Lion driver so while I'm still going to purchase a new USB 2 mixer for drum recordings I don't need to cough over a lot of money right now for a new mixer. Will be upgrading to 10.8 Mountain Lion and Logic X. The 16 GB RAM upgrade lets me mix a Logic project while rendering a video with zero lag from the OS. Amazing upgrade. Thanks a lot guys for all your replies!
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
- Since I purchased Logic 9 from the app store, is there an upgrade price that isn't 200 bucks? Couldn't find a clear answer.
No. 200 dollars should be cheap enough right?

Quote:
- I am purchasing a new interface to work with newer versions of OSX because the one I have now sometimes chooses not to work properly with 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard is last supported OSX, interface is 5 years old). Is it worth upgrading to Mountain Lion to get Logic X?
Logic Pro X must run at least 10.8
If your other applications run on 10.8 I see no reason to stay at 10.6.

Quote:
- If I do upgrade to Mountain Lion, will my system stats even with 16GB RAM work smoothly with Logic X?
Yes I'm running Logic Pro X on the same 17" MBP model with 16GB RAM. Works like a charm.
What you could do is disable the superdrive if you're not using any dvd's anymore and change it with a SSD to run the OS and some apps.

Quote:
- Should I just purchase a new machine entirely? Eventually planning on getting a new iMac or if the new Mac Pro isn't an arm and a leg to buy, but I don't have that kind of money now.
Your MBP is just fine.

Quote:
- And final question is has anyone used this and can give an honest user review?
The world wide web is loaded with Logic Pro X reviews right now.
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainstuHammy View Post
Thankfully me being one that doesn't have that much money only has 2 third party plugins besides stock Logic Plugins. Hopefully Drumagog and Ozone 5 Advanced work and if they use the same project file types I can switch between X and 9

Ozone 5 works fine.
12th August 2013
Old 12th August 2013
Gear interested

logic x is nice, nexus wont load but i still have logic 9. i dont like the pretty pictures in the daw but out the box its powerful. workflow is faster than FL for me.
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Gear maniac

I love logic x but I can't use it... There's visual lag in melodyne inside logic x and there's a delay when stopping audio. Also a slight visual lag/delay when scrolling through the mixer. Also there's clicks and pops occasionally when clicking on a channel. And all this on a mid 2010 8-core Mac Pro with 10 gig ram. As a long time Logic Pro 9 user on snow leopard, I can honestly say I am devastated that apparently a mid-2010 8 core Mac Pro with 1gig VRAM is not powerful enough to run LPX or LP9 in mountain lion properly. Sure it runs, but it doesn't run as snappy and smooth as lp9 in SL. Hoping mavericks could save me from this drama and give me a significant improvement. Anyone else have a similar experience with LP9/LPX on ML?
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecorner View Post
I love logic x but I can't use it... There's visual lag in melodyne inside logic x and there's a delay when stopping audio. Also a slight visual lag/delay when scrolling through the mixer. Also there's clicks and pops occasionally when clicking on a channel. And all this on a mid 2010 8-core Mac Pro with 10 gig ram. As a long time Logic Pro 9 user on snow leopard, I can honestly say I am devastated that apparently a mid-2010 8 core Mac Pro with 1gig VRAM is not powerful enough to run LPX or LP9 in mountain lion properly. Sure it runs, but it doesn't run as snappy and smooth as lp9 in SL. Hoping mavericks could save me from this drama and give me a significant improvement. Anyone else have a similar experience with LP9/LPX on ML?
Exactly the same here..Mac Pro 2010 3.33 6 core.

audio clicks and pops when zooming in, changing tracks, editing automation etc.

Almost everything is slower and more sluggish, except for copying/moving regions which seems faster.

L9 is a much snappier/better functioning DAW for me so far.
16th August 2013
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

I wish I could sell it, I really do. It's a huge drag to me. Thank heavens L9 still works and PT11 is here.

JMHO.

TH
16th August 2013
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
Exactly the same here..Mac Pro 2010 3.33 6 core.

audio clicks and pops when zooming in, changing tracks, editing automation etc.

Almost everything is slower and more sluggish, except for copying/moving regions which seems faster.

L9 is a much snappier/better functioning DAW for me so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecorner View Post
This is crazy, my 08 dual core runs logic x like it runs logic 9. No problem on my weak system.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
16th August 2013
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
This is crazy, my 08 dual core runs logic x like it runs logic 9. No problem on my weak system.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Definitely not as snappy as 9 here, or as snappy as PT11HD.

TH
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search