Apple Logic X rumours
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
How does it work compared with unfreezing in Logic? And - if the track really is frozen, as in bounced-to-disk, what is being edited if there's no unfreezing and freezing involved? The bounced file?

freezing is slower than in Logic but it delivers what your meters tell you
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
How does it work compared with unfreezing in Logic? And - if the track really is frozen, as in bounced-to-disk, what is being edited if there's no unfreezing and freezing involved? The bounced file?

Does it really work much better than Logic's Solo tool?

It works like this: You freeze a track exactly like in Logic. Now, the thing is that you can now chop, move, copy your freezed regions just as usual, so basically you are editing the rendered audio.

When unfreezing, all your plugs becomes active again and the regions are back to original, but at its new locations (if you have edited them). Pretty cool.

Regarding Listen tool vs Solo Tool..yes the difference is huge IMO. It is the same thing, but Logic´s is pretty jerky and slow, while the Listen Tool is really snappy and accurate..It´s best to try it just to see the difference..
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear interested

28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

For the second book, I don't see any mention of 10 or X for Logic…
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
For the second book, I don't see any mention of 10 or X for Logic…
my assumption being that if the same author is releasing a book branded on Logic 10 roughly two months earlier then it may suggest that these books as new releases also reference the same software.

Dot's previous quick guides were not branded by software version numbers either so it's a relatively logical leap to assume that these are logic 10 books also.

Dot was an Apple employee as far as I can tell so apart from publishers release dates being wrong (which of course is more than possible) then this may have some relevance for a future logic release..

But, lets face it, it's all supposition.. ;-)
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkungfu View Post
These kinds of books are always listed months before the next version of Logic appears. They are placeholders in publisher's schedules that are automatically listed on places like Amazon. The books aren't written yet.

There were "Logic Pro X" books listed by publishers months before Logic 9 appeared. The release dates of those books had nothing to do with the release of Logic 9.

Look at this thread from 2007:
Mac OS X Audio • View topic - Logic Pro X Anyone?

Quick summary: "Logic Pro X" books were listed for pre-order in March 2007. Logic Pro 8 was eventually released in September 2007. A similar thing happened with Logic Pro 9.

EDIT: An explanation, here on Gearslutz in 2007, from someone who actually writes these kinds of books:
Logic 8 ? *merged*
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear interested

These kinds of books are always listed months before the next version of Logic appears. They are placeholders in publisher's schedules that are automatically listed on places like Amazon. The books aren't written yet.

There were "Logic Pro X" books listed by publishers months before Logic 9 appeared. The release dates of those books had nothing to do with the release of Logic 9.

Look at this thread from 2007:
Mac OS X Audio • View topic - Logic Pro X Anyone?

Quick summary: "Logic Pro X" books were listed for pre-order in March 2007. Logic Pro 8 was eventually released in September 2007. A similar thing happened with Logic Pro 9.

EDIT: An explanation, here on Gearslutz in 2007, from someone who actually writes these kinds of books:
Logic 8 ? *merged*

then i stand corrected...
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
I don't know about the look but i know that sequencer is tight and has a really natural feel to it, and the work flow is super fast. Plus I like the way the effects are layed out, especially how the event effects can be rendered and then edited later if need be, thus greatly sparing your processors.
It's also extremely buggy.

I've had midi get out of sync, audio drop outs, automation dropouts for no apparent reason. Time stretching having to "ramp up" to full quality (it sounds like shit for a couple of seconds after a tempo change then fixes itself). Changing the tempo while playing will drive S1 crazy. Zooming is awful and jerky when using the middle mouse wheel, I've had it so that it puts me all the way at the ass end of the song when zooming out and that happens ALL THE TIME. It seems to be too stupid to know when I want a window focused. I select a midi note in the editor and hit delete on my keyboard and it deletes the part instead. I have to click the window a couple of times for to get the message. Stability is an issue. When I first bought S1 it would crash EVERYTIME I closed the damn thing until I switched to 64-bit mode (on OSX). It still crashes randomly here and there. I don;t care so much about the crashes, S1 is really good about autosaving your file, however the random bugginess while using the app is really annoying. There is a lot that Studio One needs to fix at this point in-order live on the same plane as Logic, imo. I like S1 but its still a very young, immature product at this point.
MediaMix
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
MediaMix

28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkungfu View Post
I think the pieces clearly add up for this book being real and coming out soon. Dot worked for Emagic for 3 years until it was acquired by Apple then stayed at Apple for almost 4 more years:

Screenshot

According to her current LinkedIn bio she is currently "Authoring a book on Apple Logic Pro software"

Screenshot
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
I think the pieces clearly add up for this book being real and coming out soon. Dot worked for Emagic for 3 years until it was acquired by Apple then stayed at Apple for almost 4 more years:
We'll see, but please don't get too excited.

The Dot Bustelo book you've linked to first appeared last November and has since been removed from some sites and replaced by 2 other generic "Logic Pro" books by her - one with a release date in May, and one in July.

The Power in Logic Pro: Songwriting, Composing, Remixing, and Making Beats (Quick Pro Guides) : Dot Bustelo : 9781458414199
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Logi.../9781458414205

I was just pointing out that exactly the same thing has happened with previous versions of Logic - rumours based around arbitrary release dates for books which have yet to be written.
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

FYI the link is from BookDepository but the cover-graphic is from (and still on) Amazon.
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
FYI the link is from BookDepository but the cover-graphic is from (and still on) Amazon.
This could go on forever since you seem convinced, but having a pre-release book page up on Amazon with a date attached to it is not proof that: A) The book exists or B) The book will be released on that date.

Newspapers hold bare bones obituaries on hundreds of celebrities. It doesn't mean those celebrities are actually dead or the papers know when they are going to die.

You can write a basic book about Logic 9, keep it on ice and then wait for L10 to drop before changing / adding to the text to suit.

You tell the publisher "I'll have a book about Logic 10 ready to go as soon as possible", and they add it to their system. That's the usual mundane reality of these things.

... but, like I said... we'll see.
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

I can tell you that an update to Mainstage came out today.

C'MON!

If it is not out before May I'm buying Logic9
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrumdrumdrum View Post
I can tell you that an update to Mainstage came out today.

C'MON!

If it is not out before May I'm buying Logic9
...an update to make the MS work with LPX...
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear nut

forgot to add a huge question mark
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Just buy Logic 9 now, and if 10 comes out next month you can buy it in 6 months when it's had a few bugfix releases and get plenty of use from 9 until then.
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

You have to read the slandering stuff going down about the "paid" minor upgrade.....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1331379

I'm moving house and will not have my studio set up till end of April. That's my day for a new logic, whatever the version#?
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrumdrumdrum View Post
You have to read the slandering stuff going down about the "paid" minor upgrade.....

Apple Releases MainStage 2.2.1 via Mac App Store - MacRumors Forums

I'm moving house and will not have my studio set up till end of April. That's my day for a new logic, whatever the version#?
The wording on the Apple site is unclear (that is referred to in that thread). It simply states that Mainstage is currently available in the app store which is correct since boxed copies of Logic are no longer being supplied to retailers by Apple (having backstock in stock is not = currently a commercial sku).

As for Mainstage 2.2.1 update only avail via app store purchase, maybe the 2.2.1 update just hasn't been pushed anywhere else yet and it will follow via download/software update today...?
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
As for Mainstage 2.2.1 update only avail via app store purchase, maybe the 2.2.1 update just hasn't been pushed anywhere else yet and it will follow via download/software update today...?
The 2.2.0 update was App Store only. People with boxed copies of Logic Studio can only get Mainstage up to 2.1.3 unless they pay. That's what they're complaining about.
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Ah sorry I wasn't thinking when I woke up this am. Certainly that's the last version my boxed copy has...you're right. And I remember the buzz when the store version came out...but $30 is only a pain to me for iOS apps so I'd forgotten about it (I find it funny how I'll balk at a $15 mobile/tablet purchase that may even get a lot of use, but not blink about a $30 desktop purchase for a minor utility or tool of which I own many as proof).
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

I saw this on Apple's web site and tout I should post it.

Feb 22, 2012 1:32 PM
This discussion is to inform current Logic users on the upcoming new features in Logic Pro X. First off the software will not be officially released to the public until the new OSX Mountain Lion hits the market. Second the software will be none of what you expect it to be and everything you didn't expect and never knew you wanted in a D.A.W. Let's start with the basics. The GUI will see a drastic overhaul making Logic's workflow more modern and efficient. I can't go in to specific details about the design features but you will love the new upgrades. The first thing you will notice in the edit view is the new media browser, which has touch gesture, capabilities built in so now you can scroll through various screens of content by swiping left to right and up and down to select content. The mixer is designed to WOW! it has a shock factor that will blow your mind. First off it makes use of sonic modeling, yes that's right just as reason modeled their mixer after the SSL, Logic has modeled their mixer after the__________? I won't spoil it for you but OMG! does that thing sound and look amazing. It has a built in EQ & Dynamics section in every audio channel, Midi & Instruments tracks can be routed to audio channels to utilize the EQ & Dynamics. The master section is AWESOME as well. New Instruments & Effects finally and if the other features did not catch your attention these will. Piano's sound unbelievably realistic, the design team spared no expense in making IMO, the best sounding virtual pianos thus far they take advantage of a new technology called Hyper-Realism it captures every subtle nuance of the Acoustic Piano faithfully. They also have physical models of Pianos that are breathtaking as well they don't require as much CPU as the large boutique sample piano's but nonetheless are right on par with them. The electric pianos sound incredible as well Hyper-Realism, and Physical model technology. Composers will love the orchestral libraries which are moderately extensive instrument, articulation and expression wise but the sound is right up there with VSL and I should mention that the notation component to logic is far more professional and has seen a upgrade as well. Logic now has only two main synths that are capable of producing just about any kind of sound you can possibly imagine, again I can't get into specific details but they are packed full of quality presets and crazy tweak parameters. DRUMS & DRUMS of DRUMS the percussion section will make you **** all over yourself first off there are two components to the percussion section a GUI that represents a physical drum kit with independent tracks for each drum by default and second is a groove machine that is beyond sick. The Physical drum kits have various different layers of drum sounds and articulations which provide a very realistic feel to sequenced drums so much so unless you knew other wise you would have never suspected they came from Virtual Instrument. The groove box at first glance has 16 pads which you can drag and drop samples directly from the browser and edit them from the groove box interface each pad has standalone pitch and time stretch properties and much more. The alternate view is of a step sequencer that you can sequence using the step method by point and click. The EFX have seen a major upgrade as well some EFX plugins you will notice right away and some will be your new favorites. I think this new D.A.W. wins on features alone. Logic Pro X is the new revolution in D.A.W. technology. Of course there are lots and lots of new and interesting features I didn't get to mention but this definitely gives you an idea of some of the coolest stuff going in to the new Logic Pro X. What are your opinons on some of the changes listed?
Logic Studio, Mac OS X (10.7.1)
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

I saw this on Apple's Website and thought I should post here.

Feb 22, 2012 1:32 PM
This discussion is to inform current Logic users on the upcoming new features in Logic Pro X. First off the software will not be officially released to the public until the new OSX Mountain Lion hits the market. Second the software will be none of what you expect it to be and everything you didn't expect and never knew you wanted in a D.A.W. Let's start with the basics. The GUI will see a drastic overhaul making Logic's workflow more modern and efficient. I can't go in to specific details about the design features but you will love the new upgrades. The first thing you will notice in the edit view is the new media browser, which has touch gesture, capabilities built in so now you can scroll through various screens of content by swiping left to right and up and down to select content. The mixer is designed to WOW! it has a shock factor that will blow your mind. First off it makes use of sonic modeling, yes that's right just as reason modeled their mixer after the SSL, Logic has modeled their mixer after the__________? I won't spoil it for you but OMG! does that thing sound and look amazing. It has a built in EQ & Dynamics section in every audio channel, Midi & Instruments tracks can be routed to audio channels to utilize the EQ & Dynamics. The master section is AWESOME as well. New Instruments & Effects finally and if the other features did not catch your attention these will. Piano's sound unbelievably realistic, the design team spared no expense in making IMO, the best sounding virtual pianos thus far they take advantage of a new technology called Hyper-Realism it captures every subtle nuance of the Acoustic Piano faithfully. They also have physical models of Pianos that are breathtaking as well they don't require as much CPU as the large boutique sample piano's but nonetheless are right on par with them. The electric pianos sound incredible as well Hyper-Realism, and Physical model technology. Composers will love the orchestral libraries which are moderately extensive instrument, articulation and expression wise but the sound is right up there with VSL and I should mention that the notation component to logic is far more professional and has seen a upgrade as well. Logic now has only two main synths that are capable of producing just about any kind of sound you can possibly imagine, again I can't get into specific details but they are packed full of quality presets and crazy tweak parameters. DRUMS & DRUMS of DRUMS the percussion section will make you **** all over yourself first off there are two components to the percussion section a GUI that represents a physical drum kit with independent tracks for each drum by default and second is a groove machine that is beyond sick. The Physical drum kits have various different layers of drum sounds and articulations which provide a very realistic feel to sequenced drums so much so unless you knew other wise you would have never suspected they came from Virtual Instrument. The groove box at first glance has 16 pads which you can drag and drop samples directly from the browser and edit them from the groove box interface each pad has standalone pitch and time stretch properties and much more. The alternate view is of a step sequencer that you can sequence using the step method by point and click. The EFX have seen a major upgrade as well some EFX plugins you will notice right away and some will be your new favorites. I think this new D.A.W. wins on features alone. Logic Pro X is the new revolution in D.A.W. technology. Of course there are lots and lots of new and interesting features I didn't get to mention but this definitely gives you an idea of some of the coolest stuff going in to the new Logic Pro X. What are your opinons on some of the changes listed?
Logic Studio, Mac OS X (10.7.1)
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

That sounds like a fanboy written rumour.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Any link ? I can't find it…
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear nut

Some of the stuff in the post sounds about right, the post itself - I call BS - when have apple *ever* made such a post?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

I will try to find it.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

b-pole
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I saw this on Apple's Website and thought I should post here.
the user has only 3 threads...
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

We're not that gulible are we now?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search