Behringer ADA8200 as DI
Old 10th May 2014
Gear interested

Behringer ADA8200 as DI

Hi

I plan on buying a Radial D8 pro to connect my synths (prophet 08, juno 106, minitaur, mopho, voyager) live and not rely on the house DIs.

I was wondering if before getting it I could use the the xlr outs on an ADA8200 connected by Adat to my fireface UCX as a makeshift DI. Could I set ip up that way?

Thanks
Old 10th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1983 View Post
Hi

I plan on buying a Radial D8 pro to connect my synths (prophet 08, juno 106, minitaur, mopho, voyager) live and not rely on the house DIs.

I was wondering if before getting it I could use the the xlr outs on an ADA8200 connected by Adat to my fireface UCX as a makeshift DI. Could I set ip up that way?

Thanks
If you're running 5 keyboards as it seems, I'd just get a small mixer, connect them all to that and use a single stereo DI to send to FOH.

Watch the levels of your patches either way...
Old 10th May 2014
Gear interested

I could do what you propose just by hooking them up to the ucx and mixing them inside totalmix (which is always a good backup plan), but I want FOH to get the individual synths
Old 10th May 2014
Lives for gear

I think the Behringer is an AD & a DA at the same time. it doesn't duplicate the optical out on the analog outs.

analog ins go to optical out
optical in goes to analog out

you could possibly loop the optical out to optical in.
that way get an analog thru. but it's not a mixer.

but I should think that
if you send the ADAT output of the UCX to the ADAT in on the Behringer
the UCX will get 8 extra outputs. those will then be on the Behringer.
which you could presumably send to front of house.
Old 10th May 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post

but I should think that
if you send the ADAT output of the UCX to the ADAT in on the Behringer
the UCX will get 8 extra outputs. those will then be on the Behringer.
which you could presumably send to front of house.
Muser:

Exactly, that's what I was thinking... Anyone with an ADA8200 can confirm this?

Either way, would this theoretically be way worse than a proper DI (of course the radial is a way better solution, and I will switch to one as soon as I can)? Would I run into problems from not having ground lifts?
Old 10th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Muser:

Exactly, that's what I was thinking... Anyone with an ADA8200 can confirm this?

Either way, would this theoretically be way worse than a proper DI (of course the radial is a way better solution, and I will switch to one as soon as I can)? Would I run into problems from not having ground lifts?
sounds like you already have the gear so maybe try it.
but the 8200 will be receiving over optical so ... this should decouple any physical grounds. as long as you have no leads into any other part of the 8200.
Old 10th May 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
sounds like you already have the gear so maybe try it.
but the 8200 will be receiving over optical so ... this should decouple any physical grounds. as long as you have no leads into any other part of the 8200.
Gonna get the 8200 this week. I'll only have two mics connected to it so I might get away with it . Thanks for your help!
Old 10th May 2014
Lives for gear

keep us posted
Old 12th May 2014
stk
Gear Head
Quote:
Hi

Thanks
I have the previous version (ADA8000) and use it as a DI driven by RME FF400 ADAT outputs, worked flawlessly for a 3-week tour.
One thing - I had to pull down the output levels quite low so as not to overload the FOH board's preamps.

As mentioned the outputs don't mirror the inputs, so you'll need to connect them through Totalmix.
Old 12th May 2014
stk
Gear Head

Last edited by stk; 12th May 2014 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: double
Old 12th May 2014
stk
Gear Head

Last edited by stk; 12th May 2014 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: double
Old 18th May 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk View Post
I have the previous version (ADA8000) and use it as a DI driven by RME FF400 ADAT outputs, worked flawlessly for a 3-week tour.
One thing - I had to pull down the output levels quite low so as not to overload the FOH board's preamps.

As mentioned the outputs don't mirror the inputs, so you'll need to connect them through Totalmix.
Hey,

just saw your reply today. I already tested the ADA8200 (through totalmix, yes) home with my mackie mixer and it sort of seems like it could work, I get the feeling I would have to do the same as you are describing because the signal comes in pretty hot...

...but a more technical minded friend of mine explained that, although it turns the signal from balanced to unbalanced, and although the ADAT connection lifts the ground, the signal that comes out of the ADA8200 is not mic level, it's still line level. It seems the problem I'll run into is crosstalk in the snake that goes from stage to FOH, so I guess even though it seems to work it's not really a solution, more like a workaround... can anybody confirm this? I'm going to try and look at the specific output levels of the RME + 8200 and check if crosstalk would occur at it's lowest output (and if that doesn't degrade the signal) but it seems like I'm really going to have to get the radial...
Old 18th May 2014
stk
Gear Head
That certainly seems possible, given that I have to pull down the ADAT outputs to around -14 in Totalmix to avoid overloading the FOH pres.

As for crosstalk or any other detrimental effect of using this unit in this way, I can't say I've noticed any quality issues, although I'm sure that someone more technically knowledgable than I could point out potential problems.

Cheers
Old 19th May 2014
Lives for gear

i'd have thought the ADA's outs would be electrically balanced.
Old 14th June 2014
Gear interested

Problem solved: bought a Radial pro 8 DI lol
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search