Login / Register
 
FOH Upgrade to Yamaha (2)DSR118 and (2)DSR215
New Reply
Subscribe
dutar76
Thread Starter
#1
20th February 2014
Old 20th February 2014
  #1
Gear interested
 
dutar76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 5

Thread Starter
dutar76 is offline
FOH Upgrade to Yamaha (2)DSR118 and (2)DSR215

I have a 80's/90's Rock and Rock Country Band. We've been using (2)PV118's and (2)PV215's with analog mackie board with QSC GX5 and GX7, plus rack eq's and comp/lim/gate, delay unit. This rig has done it's job in small venues, and for larger venues we hire a pro sound company.

In our area there are quite a few mid-size venues that are too much for my system and deserve/require better sound, but don't quite pay what I need to hire the sound crew. So I plan on upgrading my system. I recently bought the Presonus studio live 16.4.2. Now I need to upgrade the Subs and Tops.

I've read quite a few reviews and threads touching on the Yamaha DSR speakers. The reviews are mostly favorable. I've spoken to sound guys in my area, and nobody has used the DSRs. The rigs they bring are pretty much Yorkville, QSC, and EV.

I have a hot-damn drummer that I want to sound like he should sound out front, regardless of the size of the venue. Given the genre, and venues that range from 100-400 people, please give me some input/advice on this choice of speakers:

2 Yamaha DSR 118's
2 Yamaha DSR 215's /just over $4,000

Any suggestions on set ups in close to the same price range would be appriciated as well.
#2
20th February 2014
Old 20th February 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: MIAMI FLA
Posts: 2,510

MIKEHARRIS is offline
Not sure since you are using subs if you would be just as well served by 2xDSR115 & 2xDSR118. The smaller tops will be easier to handle & since it's not DJ driven you should get everything you want.
The twin 15's can stand on the subs...but you might get the hf above the crowd better if you stick the tops on poles above the sub
__________________
harrisaudiosystems.com
#3
21st February 2014
Old 21st February 2014
  #3
Gear addict
 
monocluster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 327

monocluster is offline
I second MikeHarris' thoughts on the single 15" vs double 15". The DSR's are good boxes but some other options in that price range that you may want to look at are the QSC K series (K12's and the KW 181 sub) and also the JBL PRX series stuff. I have had really good luck with the QSC stuff and also the PRX 612M from JBL. All of these boxes should do you just fine.
#4
22nd February 2014
Old 22nd February 2014
  #4
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 218

OneEng is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocluster View Post
I second MikeHarris' thoughts on the single 15" vs double 15". The DSR's are good boxes but some other options in that price range that you may want to look at are the QSC K series (K12's and the KW 181 sub) and also the JBL PRX series stuff. I have had really good luck with the QSC stuff and also the PRX 612M from JBL. All of these boxes should do you just fine.
I narrowed my search down to JBL PRX, QSC KW, and Yamaha DSR (I have had my speakers now for about 3 years).

I did tons of auditioning and forum searching. My goal was to get a rig that could cover ~300 people in a 100' x 100' room at rock levels (worst case).

I really wanted to love the PRX system because the tops were so light, but the DSR112's simply blew the PRX 612m away with respect to punch on the bottom and clarity at the top.

The PRX618S-XLF absolutely blew away everything I A/B'd it against. The KW181 was second, but didn't have near the punch of the XLF. The DSR118 was simply very weak compared to the XLF which was nearly 2x as loud.

I ended up going with the DSR112's over the PRX618S-XLF. This doesn't look as nice on stage as matched pairs would, but it sounds silly great.

The woofer in the DSR112 is simply much more potent than either the PRX or KW tops can equal. Combine this with the tight thump of the XLF subs and it is IMHO the best semi-pro level rig you can buy anywhere near this price range.

I have a neighbor that has the KW153's over KW181's. This is also a fantastic sounding system, but I really didn't want to transport 3-way 15" speakers. They are just too heavy and big for my purposes (but they do sound fantastic).

The built in cross-over in the XLF subs passes 90Hz and greater out to the tops. This works out very nicely with the design of the DSR112 which (unlike other speakers in its class) has a much bigger amp (850W) and more powerful woofer than it does the HF (500W) amp.

I have ran the DSR112 at limit all night without any issues (one side on accident .... this is not how I normally treat my gear). The backs don't even get hot to the touch, and there is no indication from the quality of the sound that the limit has been reached.

Good luck with your decision. I would recommend that you go listen to these speakers first hand.
Quote
1
#5
22nd February 2014
Old 22nd February 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 4,316

dickiefunk is online now
I would love to hear the DSR112/618XLF vs the RCF HD32/905as or RCF 722a/905as setup. These two rigs appear to be the most popular rigs under £4000. I have a pair of DXR15's and EV ELX118p which cost £2000 and have really surprised me with how good they sound!
#6
22nd February 2014
Old 22nd February 2014
  #6
Gear addict
 
czoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: W. of San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 340

czoli is offline
For weekly acoustic gigs I go out with a single Yamaha DXR15. I chose this over the QSC K12 due to wider high end dispersion and more bottom end. When playing CD or DVD tracks there is zero dB loss down to 50Hz. For gigs without subs it's nice. Another cool thing I like about the DXR15 is that it takes 3 diff inputs, Mic or line XLR, 1/4 inch and RCA with separate volume knobs on all 3. It's great at home to plug a E-Kit, keyboard, etc into and rock out since it has a relatively decent freq response across the curve. I generally switch it to "monitor" mode to flatten it out.
#7
22nd February 2014
Old 22nd February 2014
  #7
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 218

OneEng is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I would love to hear the DSR112/618XLF vs the RCF HD32/905as or RCF 722a/905as setup. These two rigs appear to be the most popular rigs under £4000. I have a pair of DXR15's and EV ELX118p which cost £2000 and have really surprised me with how good they sound!
I would love to hear these other rigs as well

I have heard the RCF522a's and was quite pleased with their sound. I know of another forum member who has A/B'd them against a DSR112 and said that the DSR had noticeably more output. For most applications, I think this would be a wash.

I haven't even seen a forum post comparing the XLF and the 905as.... and only one comparing the 905a against the KW181. In that comparison, the posters conclusion was that the KW had more output.

I have compared a KW181 directly to an XLF (I have a neighbor with a KW rig). Volume was too close to call. The XLF was cleaner/punchier. Picking between these two would be a personal taste thing since they are both quite good and offer about the same output.

I would love to hear these side by side some day
#8
23rd February 2014
Old 23rd February 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 
mixer mixer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 742

mixer mixer is offline
No to 15's, Hell no to 2x15's.

Refer to this post regarding why no 15's as mains. Complete thread. Instead, go for 12's, better mid projection.

IMO there are better solutions than the StudioLive for the same money.
__________________
- Tom
dutar76
Thread Starter
#9
4th April 2014
Old 4th April 2014
  #9
Gear interested
 
dutar76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 5

Thread Starter
dutar76 is offline
Decided to go with the QSC KW181's and KW153's (15x6.5x1.75)

We fired them up in the bandroom using pre-recorded music, then with drums, vocal mic, keyboard, and acoustic guitar (variax). The punch is unreal and the clarity was out of this world. I guess you get what you pay for. I was able to wheedle the distributor down to 5k even including shipping.

The real test will come tonight and tomorrow night. Tonight we're in one of the smallest clubs we play and tomorrow night we'll be at one of the largest venues. There's already zero doubt in my mind that this was a very good deal and a very good buy for our needs.

Can't wait to hear this rig and see how it compares to the sound companies we've used at thses clubs. They've used (Yorkville Ls801p's and EV-ETX tops).
#10
4th April 2014
Old 4th April 2014
  #10
Gear addict
 
czoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: W. of San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 340

czoli is offline
What did you buy for stands for the KW153s? I have Ultimate Support TS-90B which go up to 150lbs. Since the KW153s are pretty heavy at 87 lbs you'll need something rugged and a couple people to put them up on them.
KEL
#11
4th April 2014
Old 4th April 2014
  #11
KEL
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 842

KEL is online now
KW is a good, quality rig. The tops are a little scary on tripods yet without some extra height, often the tops are a bit too low. Depends on the stage
KEL
#12
4th April 2014
Old 4th April 2014
  #12
KEL
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 842

KEL is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer mixer View Post
No to 15's, Hell no to 2x15's.

Refer to this post regarding why no 15's as mains. Complete thread. Instead, go for 12's, better mid projection.
exaggerated, blanket statements condemning 15" tops is simplistic at best and i suspect a lot of internet posters just repeat misinformed posts. I can appreciate that maybe you've not been able to get the mix you want but 15" mains have not stopped countless positive experiences elsewhere. Sure, the 15s have different performance and often a 12 box might have the midrange and speed you prefer. but, "muddy" "not good for vocals", etc.. no, sorry.

I love my 6 EV QRx115 tops/monitors. Smooth, silky, it's like mixing on big studio monitors. I've done plenty of shows on them including platinum, grammy award winners on down. I also love my SRX 725 over 728 rig. Done dozens of shows on them. A couple other soundCo's in this area have the same rig.
I've had some experience with other 15 tops:
nexo pf 15
RCF NX or 7 series
JBL Vertec

no problems with mud or vocals on those. I've heard good mixes and bad on all kinds of systems.
Quote
2
#13
5th April 2014
Old 5th April 2014
  #13
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 218

OneEng is offline
Love the KW 153 over 181 combo. As i said, my neighbor has this setup ...... Just fantastic.

In the future you may want to double up on the 181's since IMHO your tops have more output than your subs.

Great rig. I can't fathom you not being elated at the sound and output.
#14
5th April 2014
Old 5th April 2014
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 692

museAV is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer mixer View Post
No to 15's, Hell no to 2x15's.

Refer to this post regarding why no 15's as mains. Complete thread. Instead, go for 12's, better mid projection.
The Fulcrum Acoustic CX15XX and GX15XX series, especially with the associated TQ processing, are probably good examples of two-way boxes with a 15" woofer that I seriously doubt many would describe as being poor for vocals, having a horrendous midband, being muddy, etc., yet I've heard plenty of boxes with 12", 10" and even smaller woofers that could be described that way.

While I agree that if you have subs you may be better off with smaller mains for a number of reasons, however none related to the arguments presented in the referenced post as what is presented seems to quite simply be untrue. They appear to suggest that only speakers with 15" woofers have crossovers in the middle of the vocal range and that 15" woofers are always associated with 2" throat compression drivers when the reality is that both 15" woofer and 12" woofer versions of the same basic speaker often use the same high frequency components and crossover at around the same frequency. Look at the Community iHP1296 and iHP1596 as an example, according to the specifications both models use exactly the same HF horn and driver with a 1.4" throat and have the same 1.5kHz crossover frequency. There are plenty of similar examples where the HF components are identical and the crossover frequencies similar for both the 12" woofer version and the 15" woofer version of a speaker, in fact it's probably more difficult to find examples where that is not the case. And what about a three-way box with a 15" woofer, they don't seem to limit their arguments to two-way boxes so would that still have the same issues just because it uses a 15" woofer? Trying to ascribe details about a speaker's design and performance solely to the woofer size as is done in that post seems to display an ignorance of how complex speaker design can be.
Quote
1
#15
5th April 2014
Old 5th April 2014
  #15
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 218

OneEng is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by museAV View Post
The Fulcrum Acoustic CX15XX and GX15XX series, especially with the associated TQ processing, are probably good examples of two-way boxes with a 15" woofer that I seriously doubt many would describe as being poor for vocals, having a horrendous midband, being muddy, etc., yet I've heard plenty of boxes with 12", 10" and even smaller woofers that could be described that way.

While I agree that if you have subs you may be better off with smaller mains for a number of reasons, however none related to the arguments presented in the referenced post as what is presented seems to quite simply be untrue. They appear to suggest that only speakers with 15" woofers have crossovers in the middle of the vocal range and that 15" woofers are always associated with 2" throat compression drivers when the reality is that both 15" woofer and 12" woofer versions of the same basic speaker often use the same high frequency components and crossover at around the same frequency. Look at the Community iHP1296 and iHP1596 as an example, according to the specifications both models use exactly the same HF horn and driver with a 1.4" throat and have the same 1.5kHz crossover frequency. There are plenty of similar examples where the HF components are identical and the crossover frequencies similar for both the 12" woofer version and the 15" woofer version of a speaker, in fact it's probably more difficult to find examples where that is not the case. And what about a three-way box with a 15" woofer, they don't seem to limit their arguments to two-way boxes so would that still have the same issues just because it uses a 15" woofer? Trying to ascribe details about a speaker's design and performance solely to the woofer size as is done in that post seems to display an ignorance of how complex speaker design can be.
In general, I agree that 12's over subs is preferable; however, it is undeniable that this is not always the case.

Many people fail to realize how much mid low punch comes from the woofer in your tops. Also the fact that the limiting factor to the output of your tops is almost always the woofer, so using 15" tops will also result in an overall higher output capability.

As is the case with so many issues brought up in forums, "it depends" is the answer. You must state specific speakers under specific uses in order to get a more definitive answer.

In the case of the OP, those 153's are not only very punchy, but also being 3 way speakers are quite articulate for vocals as well. Their only downfall with respect to 12's (and what kept this exact rig from being my very own) is the weight and size of the 153's over 2 way 12" tops.
#16
5th April 2014
Old 5th April 2014
  #16
Gear addict
 
czoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: W. of San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 340

czoli is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
exaggerated, blanket statements condemning 15" tops is simplistic at best and i suspect a lot of internet posters just repeat misinformed posts. I can appreciate that maybe you've not been able to get the mix you want but 15" mains have not stopped countless positive experiences elsewhere. Sure, the 15s have different performance and often a 12 box might have the midrange and speed you prefer. but, "muddy" "not good for vocals", etc.. no, sorry.

I love my 6 EV QRx115 tops/monitors. Smooth, silky, it's like mixing on big studio monitors. I've done plenty of shows on them including platinum, grammy award winners on down. I also love my SRX 725 over 728 rig. Done dozens of shows on them. A couple other soundCo's in this area have the same rig.
I've had some experience with other 15 tops:
nexo pf 15
RCF NX or 7 series
JBL Vertec

no problems with mud or vocals on those. I've heard good mixes and bad on all kinds of systems.
I agree with KEL here. When I purchased Yamaha DXR15 I did an A/B between DXR12, and QSC K12 as well. I preferred the far wider sound distribution of the 15 as opposed to the smaller horn size of the 12. It was dramatically different. The bass response out of a single 15 was a factor compared to a 12. When operating without subs this matters. They have zero dB loss down to 50Hz. I have compared them (in Monitor mode not Front of House mode) to Event 20/20 and remarkably there is plenty of midrange there. This is probably due to active design with DSP. Doing small venues with subs perhaps I would gone with 12. From someone who is a DJ this is a real choice they would have to make. For live bands/acoustic music I prefer the 15. If I want more midrange I can always dial it in.
#17
5th April 2014
Old 5th April 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 
mixer mixer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 742

mixer mixer is offline
dutar76
Thread Starter
#18
6th April 2014
Old 6th April 2014
  #18
Gear interested
 
dutar76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 5

Thread Starter
dutar76 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by czoli View Post
What did you buy for stands for the KW153s? I have Ultimate Support TS-90B which go up to 150lbs. Since the KW153s are pretty heavy at 87 lbs you'll need something rugged and a couple people to put them up on them.
I built 2 20"x20"x18" boxes out of 3/4" birch plywood. I cut simple hand-holds in the sides of the boxes and a removable lid. I painted them black. I sit the box on the subs and the tops on the boxes and secure everything with ratchet straps. This puts the tops at about 7'.

I use the boxes for power cords, mic cables, etc. It was great having storage containers that I don't have to find an out-of-the-way spot to keep them during the small shows that don't have much storage space. Guitar cases, amp covers, cymbal bags are hard enough to hide. 2 boxes and one small bag for extras during the show carry all of my loose gear.
dutar76
Thread Starter
#19
6th April 2014
Old 6th April 2014
  #19
Gear interested
 
dutar76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 5

Thread Starter
dutar76 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer mixer View Post
I'll admit the thread I posted earlier was a bad example, and that a 3 way would be a better option ala KW153 or PRX735 given the situation, BUT I still stand by my statement on Nope to double 15's.

Post #9 in this link on PSW is an interesting read. P.A speakers -12" or 15"?? - ProSoundWeb LAB Lounge FUD Forum Archive

I'm sure you already know this, but the KW 153's do not have 2-15's. It has a 6.5" midrange driver.

What we noticed this weekend, is that using the 153's with the 181's, it was like having 4 subs. After soundcheck, we turned off the 181's and played through a few songs with just the tops. We could have played the show with the tops alone and been adequate. With the subs, and the 15's in the tops kicking together, the low end and puch was incredible. I don't see any reason to add subs in the future.

Yes the tops outrun the subs a little, but they seem to work together. What I would love to hear is 2 more of each.. ehe my wife read that while I typed and punched me in the shoulder.
dutar76
Thread Starter
#20
6th April 2014
Old 6th April 2014
  #20
Gear interested
 
dutar76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 5

Thread Starter
dutar76 is offline
One last thing, if anyone can explain this to me.

During my show, I leave the stage a few times while my band does their own thing. During this, I get to hear the mix. This weekend I noticed that though we were much much louder than when we played the same clubs before, that the the sound wasn't irritating or (how to put this) painful? We were way louder and somehow... smoother?

My old rig was low line Peavey tops/subs with QSC amps. Using the same board, same mics, same band, same everything. With the Peavey's we were told, now and then, that we were too loud. This weekend, we were much louder and asking around, owner, crowd, bandwives, etc... Everyone thought the volume was perfect. I understand the difference between noise and sound, but the volume was so much louder this weekend that I'm a little stunned that it was still... pleasing?
#21
7th April 2014
Old 7th April 2014
  #21
Gear addict
 
czoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: W. of San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 340

czoli is offline
Off topic first but importantly watch and measure your dB sound levels. With these ultra high powered active systems it’s really easy to crank it to the moon not even knowing it. imho I believe it can be a few different possibilities. First and rarely if the system puts out any distortion, definitely underpowered setups or going over digital 0dB on a digital board, that can be noticeable. Second, I assume the old setup was passive so there could be certain frequencies that weren’t as flat as you may have thought. These annoying frequencies as Dave Pensado mentions in his videos are the ones to kill in a mix. Unless you do a comparison you wouldn’t know. The QSC KW153 are DSP tuned crossovers as well Thirdly you may have been pushing the bottom end more than normal, and this makes people feel the mix, making them believe it sounds better. Lastly and most important, a well balanced mix across the frequency spectrum can be cranked up and enjoyed more easily. If there are unbalanced frequency ranges, when music is turned up we normally view this as a poor mix that is annoying and not enjoyable. To me personally, 85dB is that magic level where it’s either annoying or it sounds good.
Quote
1
#22
7th April 2014
Old 7th April 2014
  #22
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 218

OneEng is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by czoli View Post
I agree with KEL here. When I purchased Yamaha DXR15 I did an A/B between DXR12, and QSC K12 as well. I preferred the far wider sound distribution of the 15 as opposed to the smaller horn size of the 12. It was dramatically different. The bass response out of a single 15 was a factor compared to a 12. When operating without subs this matters. They have zero dB loss down to 50Hz. I have compared them (in Monitor mode not Front of House mode) to Event 20/20 and remarkably there is plenty of midrange there. This is probably due to active design with DSP. Doing small venues with subs perhaps I would gone with 12. From someone who is a DJ this is a real choice they would have to make. For live bands/acoustic music I prefer the 15. If I want more midrange I can always dial it in.
I agree. The DXR15 is a very good sounding speaker. It still doesn't hold up to the clarity and punch of the KW153 though. Those are some seriously fine sounding speakers.

There are quite a few instances of 2-way 15" tops having a hole in the high mids and therefore being less articulate with vocals. This is where the thinking outlined in this thread comes from. While this is possibly the majority, it is not a hard and fast rule by any means. One of my favorite tops is the SRX715's. They have a great sounding horn and tons of punch in the low mids. They don't have anything really low, but when they are over subs, they are awesome.
#23
7th April 2014
Old 7th April 2014
  #23
Gear addict
 
czoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: W. of San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 340

czoli is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
I agree. The DXR15 is a very good sounding speaker. It still doesn't hold up to the clarity and punch of the KW153 though. Those are some seriously fine sounding speakers.

There are quite a few instances of 2-way 15" tops having a hole in the high mids and therefore being less articulate with vocals. This is where the thinking outlined in this thread comes from. While this is possibly the majority, it is not a hard and fast rule by any means. One of my favorite tops is the SRX715's. They have a great sounding horn and tons of punch in the low mids. They don't have anything really low, but when they are over subs, they are awesome.
I agree. The apparent mistake in this thread comes down to missing midrange response in 15 inch designs vs 12 inch designs. But with real DSP present in most active designs this thinking is seriously flawed. If you look at the frequency response specs of the DXR12 vs DX15 they are extremely similar. When placed at 7 or 8 feet high in "monitor mode" the speakers actually flatten out even more on the low end. The 12 inch ever so slightly different. One could argue using 10 inch would be far superior. But high end projection/dispersion over 2KHz is a totally different problem, trumped easily in the Yamaha 15 inch design. Nexo apparently did a fine job in their design. This isn't to say the KW153 weighing in at 88lbs may sound superior at twice the weight and twice price of a $700 Yamaha DXR15. At twice the price one can only hope and wish it sounds twice as good. I haven't done an A/B test on both. I wish QSC would publish the frequency response charts of this series. They do on the K8, K10 and K12.
#24
7th April 2014
Old 7th April 2014
  #24
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 218

OneEng is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by czoli View Post
I agree. The apparent mistake in this thread comes down to missing midrange response in 15 inch designs vs 12 inch designs. But with real DSP present in most active designs this thinking is seriously flawed. If you look at the frequency response specs of the DXR12 vs DX15 they are extremely similar. When placed at 7 or 8 feet high in "monitor mode" the speakers actually flatten out even more on the low end. The 12 inch ever so slightly different. One could argue using 10 inch would be far superior. But high end projection/dispersion over 2KHz is a totally different problem, trumped easily in the Yamaha 15 inch design. Nexo apparently did a fine job in their design. This isn't to say the KW153 weighing in at 88lbs may sound superior at twice the weight and twice price of a $700 Yamaha DXR15. At twice the price one can only hope and wish it sounds twice as good. I haven't done an A/B test on both. I wish QSC would publish the frequency response charts of this series. They do on the K8, K10 and K12.
Yep! The wonder of modern DSP.

... And yes, one would hope that a box 2 times the price would sound better and go louder ( which they do)

It is too much for me to lug around though. I have been on a load lightening crusade over the last 5 years. 88 lb 3 way huge tops would be going back in time for me...... I may as we'll go out and get my folded horns back too
#25
7th April 2014
Old 7th April 2014
  #25
Gear addict
 
czoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: W. of San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 340

czoli is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
Yep! The wonder of modern DSP.

... And yes, one would hope that a box 2 times the price would sound better and go louder ( which they do)

It is too much for me to lug around though. I have been on a load lightening crusade over the last 5 years. 88 lb 3 way huge tops would be going back in time for me...... I may as we'll go out and get my folded horns back too
Like you I'm trying to "lighten up" as well. If weight/price is no issue I'm with you At this price point when a KW153 is close to $1400 and you price out subs, it's an option to consider other potentially better sounding boxes like
L-ACOUSTICS
I've the heard lacoustic and they sound great. It would be interesting if anybody has any comparisons between the two...
#26
8th April 2014
Old 8th April 2014
  #26
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 218

OneEng is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by czoli View Post
Like you I'm trying to "lighten up" as well. If weight/price is no issue I'm with you At this price point when a KW153 is close to $1400 and you price out subs, it's an option to consider other potentially better sounding boxes like
L-ACOUSTICS
I've the heard lacoustic and they sound great. It would be interesting if anybody has any comparisons between the two...
I have heard good things about those as well. I have never gotten the chance to hear them out in the wild though. I agree that it would be nice to hear a comparison .... but I think I will be sticking with 12" tops over subs to save my knees and back.

Oh how I miss lugging my 150lb CV folded horns up stairs along with my old Klipsch KP301's and that rack-O-amps
#27
8th April 2014
Old 8th April 2014
  #27
Gear addict
 
czoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: W. of San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 340

czoli is offline
I've heard a set of L-Acoustics a few times at a church in the valley that rents them for bigger events. They rent a set that costs like $2K per side that are full range that are a a little narrower than a 50 in flat screen. They sound amazing. I've only heard the KW153 once in a store and they sounded great. I couldn't deal with the weight either. Nexo has subs that weigh in under 50lbs but they require separate amps which they sell if you are looking to lighten up. Haven't heard those yet.
#28
9th April 2014
Old 9th April 2014
  #28
Gear Head
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 41

Simoniz is offline
The Yamaha DSR Series will never go wrong. I've experience using them(DSR112, DSR115, DSR118). All this are pretty close to the NEXO PS Series. Yamaha bought over NEXO and that's why the DSR sounded like the small brother of the NEXO PS15. I used them for an international fashion which was followed by a after show DJ party. The speakers were hung up on the truss, angled to cover the entire area of loosely packed 800 pax. I mixed them on a band and it has enough headroom to push with your Presonus. The highs on the DSR is pretty smooth and easy to work with transients and attacks.

The L-acoustics are good as well but they are pricey. The 115HiQ is really good and easy to mix on. The ARCs are great! Then the V-DOSC, K!, etc... The Kudos not so good. I don't wanna elaborate on this since this is not what you wanna know.

Yup! The Yamaha DSR series is a good investment. Used it in conference, corporate events, live band performance... bottom-line, it is just like the NEXO PS series, a workhorse. Well, it never fail me at least. ROI is quic
#29
9th April 2014
Old 9th April 2014
  #29
Gear Head
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 41

Simoniz is offline
Oh yah, I totally agree with MIKEHARRIS for the setup. DSR115 Tops, DSR118 Sub with a single Speaker Pole stand to alleviate the height. Play around with the D-Contour and you can expect good result with the overall tonal quality.

The QSC K10, K12 might be a good buy, but somehow when I drive them, they tend to be 'disoriented'(the mix got crumpled). Probably, the amplifier is limiting or something like that. I can achieve better SPL without losing the mix with DSR.

ROI is quick as well.
#30
9th April 2014
Old 9th April 2014
  #30
Gear addict
 
czoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: W. of San Fernando Valley, CA
Posts: 340

czoli is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoniz View Post
Oh yah, I totally agree with MIKEHARRIS for the setup. DSR115 Tops, DSR118 Sub with a single Speaker Pole stand to alleviate the height. Play around with the D-Contour and you can expect good result with the overall tonal quality.

The QSC K10, K12 might be a good buy, but somehow when I drive them, they tend to be 'disoriented'(the mix got crumpled). Probably, the amplifier is limiting or something like that. I can achieve better SPL without losing the mix with DSR.

ROI is quick as well.
I wonder whether this is actually some sort of mult-band compression but only on the low end of the K12? There may also be a bass boost mode on the K12? The reason I say this is when auditioning the K12, the salespeople's comment was "Oh the bass is tighter on the K12". Well that's compression to me Where the DXR15 were just wide open on the low end with zero dB loss at 50Hz. Some people view this as "sloppier bass response" but it's actually lower frequency response which is supposed to be sloppy. 35-40Hz isn't always "tight". My feeling is you can always add compression at the mixing board. Maybe it's just limiting on the bass. Maybe you can comment.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.