Yamaha DXR15/EV ELX118p combo vs RCF HD12a/RCF 905AS?
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Yamaha DXR15/EV ELX118p combo vs RCF HD12a/RCF 905AS?

As some of you are aware I'm continuously looking to find a smaller and easier to manage rig to my current Yamaha DXR15 + EV ELX118p rig. I don't want a step down in audio quality and performance and would prefer something that will be a step up in both audio quality and output.
I'm frustratingly unable to hear these for myself as the nearest store that has some of these is a few hundred miles away!!

After doing a lot of research I've come across the RCF HD12a and RCF 905AS rig.

Has anyone had any experience with this setup? Any ideas how it would compare to my current Yamaha DXR15/EV ELX118p rig?
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

I have not heard those set up's together, but have heard on individual occasions those components. The RCF "D" series seems to me to be in a similar category to the Yamaha DSR, QSC "K" et.al series of class "D" powered plastic box speakers. They all do a very good job for the money. I cannot say that I prefer one over the other as they each have a quality that I like although slightly different.

Is it weight you are trying to reduce or physical size or as much of both as possible?

For a small size system I would look at the KV2 Audio EX10 and EX2.2 system. I run some of these in my smaller rigs and they are very small, but seriously powerful and sound incredible. The weight would be similar to what you have now, but that is because the amps have real transformers in them, which is one of the reasons why they deliver on the power front. However, you will greatly reduce the box sizes. You could fit this rig into a hatchback.

Anyway, I thought I would throw something different at you. Good luck.
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. I know those KV2 Audio EX rigs really well. Used the EX10, EX12 and EX2.2 quite a few times and also use their KX range at our church every week. They are indeed incredible speakers but the EX2.2 sub weighs 49kg vs 31kg of the EV ELX118p!

I am aiming to find something lighter and possibly smaller without sacrificing output and audio quality without spending serious money!

When it comes to the tops, I would like something as full range as possible as I don't always use subs. The DXR15's are excellent for this and I have very successfully done small gigs putting V/Drums and Bass through them with a very full and deep sound.
As for the subs it would be nice to have something a little smaller but and possibly even more output.

I spoke to a couple of dealers and they both recommended the RCF HD12a and 905AS subs and said this setup would have more output than my current setup whilst being smaller and lighter!??

Can anyone confirm if this would be the case?

However, my current setup cost me £2000 for the DXR15's and ELX118p's. The RCF rig would cost £3300. By the time I've sold my current rig for the average secondhand price I could be looking at forking out £1500-£1700 extra. I'm not sure this would be reflected in the possible increase in sound performance??
Old 4th January 2014
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Thanks for the reply. I know those KV2 Audio EX rigs really well. Used the EX10, EX12 and EX2.2 quite a few times and also use their KX range at our church every week. They are indeed incredible speakers but the EX2.2 sub weighs 49kg vs 31kg of the EV ELX118p!

I am aiming to find something lighter and possibly smaller without sacrificing output and audio quality without spending serious money!

When it comes to the tops, I would like something as full range as possible as I don't always use subs. The DXR15's are excellent for this and I have very successfully done small gigs putting V/Drums and Bass through them with a very full and deep sound.
As for the subs it would be nice to have something a little smaller but and possibly even more output.

I spoke to a couple of dealers and they both recommended the RCF HD12a and 905AS subs and said this setup would have more output than my current setup whilst being smaller and lighter!??

Can anyone confirm if this would be the case?

However, my current setup cost me £2000 for the DXR15's and ELX118p's. The RCF rig would cost £3300. By the time I've sold my current rig for the average secondhand price I could be looking at forking out £1500-£1700 extra. I'm not sure this would be reflected in the possible increase in sound performance??
1. Yes you are correct, the KV2 EX subs would be better, smaller and have more output, but would weigh a little more. Although sometimes the smaller size of something that is heavier is still easier to lift. You only need to lift it out of your vehicle and then wheel it on it's dolly board.

You would lack a little of the full range of the DXR15's as opposed to the EX10 if use on their own.

2. I am not sure that you would find much of a performance increase with the RCF. It would most likely be more of a subjective difference. Although the RCF cabinets would be smaller and lighter.

The trifecta of smaller, lighter and more powerful comes with a hefty price tag.
Happy hunting. †
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
As some of you are aware I'm continuously looking to find a smaller and easier to manage rig to my current Yamaha DXR15 + EV ELX118p rig. I don't want a step down in audio quality and performance and would prefer something that will be a step up in both audio quality and output.
I'm frustratingly unable to hear these for myself as the nearest store that has some of these is a few hundred miles away!!

After doing a lot of research I've come across the RCF HD12a and RCF 905AS rig.

Has anyone had any experience with this setup? Any ideas how it would compare to my current Yamaha DXR15/EV ELX118p rig?
I have 4 HD12A's ..they blow away the dxr, elx and qsc .. people say all the time "wow what are those tops they sound awesome!"
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

I am pretty curious about RCF HD32a.

RCF - HD 32-A

This version has a 2" compression driver with a 3" voice coil compared to the 1" with 1.7" voice coil in the HD12a. Apparently these go noticeably louder than the HD12a aswell due to having 700w RMS/1400w peak amps compared to the 600w RMS/1200w peak amps in the HD12a.

Also, the FBT Promaxx 14a's look like a good option.

I'd be very greatful to hear from anyone who has had a chance to compare any of the DXR15's, RCF HD32a or FBT Promaxx 14a!?
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am pretty curious about RCF HD32a.

RCF - HD 32-A

This version has a 2" compression driver with a 3" voice coil compared to the 1" with 1.7" voice coil in the HD12a. Apparently these go noticeably louder than the HD12a aswell due to having 700w RMS/1400w peak amps compared to the 600w RMS/1200w peak amps in the HD12a.

Also, the FBT Promaxx 14a's look like a good option.

I'd be very greatful to hear from anyone who has had a chance to compare any of the DXR15's, RCF HD32a or FBT Promaxx 14a!?
wow i havent seen that thanks for the heads up .. i can do very large crowds now ..im sure the extra umph will help to not get into the limiters .. the only thing i noticed is 131dbspl vs 130(hd12a) thats not very much advantage but i bet the throw outdoors is a little better
Old 7th January 2014
Gear maniac

I have found RCF / DB Tech bandpass designs to sound good in small rooms and not extreme volumes, but when pushed they lose the leading edge on transients such as kick drum.

For recorded music as opposed to live, they sound ok until the volume is pushed. Also the higher crossover point option (120 Hz) is not really practical, they are much happier crossed at 80.

However I've heard big bass reflex RCF double18s which were as good as those from other top tier manufacturers.

To match the tops you mention I suggest looking at the 4PRO 8001, 8003 or 8004 powered bass reflex single 18" boxes - for just a bit more money I think you would really appreciate the upgrade.

Unfortunately I can't recall hearing that particular top so cannot comment, but others in that range sound good and RCF seem to make a much bigger range of powered speakers moving up the food chain, where other big manufacturers drop off fast once you pass the top end of their MI range - which is a shame for folks wanting to upgrade powered speaker rigs.
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo filters View Post

To match the tops you mention I suggest looking at the 4PRO 8001, 8003 or 8004 powered bass reflex single 18" boxes - for just a bit more money I think you would really appreciate the upgrade.
Those subs look great but unfortunately they are too heavy!! I'm looking for something as light as what I already or even lighter.
My current subs weigh around 32kg and the tops 22kg.

I starting to think that there isn't a lighter speaker that can produce the same amount of output with such full range deep bass as the DXR15??
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search