Wireless mic for female vocalist
New Reply
Subscribe
Kathryn12
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear interested

Wireless mic for female vocalist

Hi, Im considering investing in a wireless mic system and would love some advice. Im working fulltime in clubs (travelling internationally) that provide the standard SM58 wireless. Im the lead female in a 7 piece band with 2 other lead male singers. We play top 40 pop and rock mostly. Im willing to spend up to US$1000, but from what Ive read on the internet, for a wireless system this is not really enough, so perhaps I should stick with SM58. Can anyone suggest a wireless mic thats good for a female voice in this price range that would be a significantly better sound than the the standard shure??? Or alternatively, I do have an SLX 4 receiver, so could possibly go for just buying the shure beta87a microphone, however Im not sure that this would be much of a step up anyway.
Thanks in advance.
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Which mics have you tried that compliment your voice ?
A condenser mic may capture your voice better...but also everything else on stage.
Maybe a SM 86 or Beta87C transmitter for your SLX..or a sennheiser ew365 G3
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear interested

Ive been using the SM58 for several years as we've always been provided that, and Im not in an area right now where i can test mics, so im just looking for advice right now. I would like to try a condenser mic, but i am a little worried as our stage sound is always very loud! Typical nightclub party band setup.
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Have a look at the Sennheiser ew 135 G3. I was also in the market for wireless lead vocal mics and they work very well, both male and female singers came out of the mix with proper EQ.

To be honest, don't bother with the Shure wireless systems unless you're going for UHF-R. I was about to settle for SLX/ULX until I found out the shortcomings such as spotty RF and cheap plastic construction on top of the line ULX along with using 9v batteries. The Sennheiser units eat the Shure units, even the new BLX and GLX-D units feature-wise.

I can't vouch for the condenser heads, but dynamics come out a-ok!
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Gear maniac

Traveling internationally is the magic word here. You'll likely need different frequencies for different countries and almost all of those wont work in the USA. That is unless you go with 2.4g units (ISM band) which are legal all over the world.
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboomer View Post
Traveling internationally is the magic word here. You'll likely need different frequencies for different countries and almost all of those wont work in the USA. That is unless you go with 2.4g units (ISM band) which are legal all over the world.
This pretty much covers the subject. I would just add that using wireless does require a bit of extra "learning" and experience to make sure that it is going to do the job for you night and and night out.

You can save a bunch of money, get generally better performance and simply get reliability by going with a wired mic. A Neumann 105 would be a great mic for anyone.
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
A Neumann 105 would be a great mic for anyone.
Ooo, that piqued my attention Wyllys...

It's 2.5 times the cost of a Senny E945 - more than twice the mic though do you think..?
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover'd View Post
Ooo, that piqued my attention Wyllys...

It's 2.5 times the cost of a Senny E945 - more than twice the mic though do you think..?
Maybe so, but it's cheaper than a comparable wireless rig. It is definitely a premium vocal mic while the 945 is a very good mid-level microphone.
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

KMS105 a great mic...pattern may be too tight for singers with very loose mic technique
(Barry Gibb or Julio Iglesias for instance) in which case KMS104 may be preferable.
105 a great snare mic too.

You should try the e835...very good alternative to SM58, easy to use & easy to get great sound...a ew135G3 as mentioned above good package with that head...and well priced
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
KMS105 a great mic...pattern may be too tight for singers with very loose mic technique
(Barry Gibb or Julio Iglesias for instance) in which case KMS104 may be preferable.
105 a great snare mic too.

You should try the e835...very good alternative to SM58, easy to use & easy to get great sound...a ew135G3 as mentioned above good package with that head...and well priced
I find the 835 pattern to be very similar to the 105, but it can be a good mic for a lot of people. One would hope that using a tighter patterned mic would help teach folks to sing INTO the microphone.

Right...
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Maybe so, but it's cheaper than a comparable wireless rig. It is definitely a premium vocal mic while the 945 is a very good mid-level microphone.
Well Wyllys, I'm now £399 poorer thanks to you

Have been pondering an upgrade from my Beta 58 for a while... ummed and ahhed about a E945, but it never quite provoked me into a purchase. However, the Neumann 105 'spoke to me' instantly - you kinda know when something feels right even without a first-hand test. Perhaps not the best way to make a significant purchase, but your recommendation, reading the spec and other reviews sold me

Sorry for the thread hijack Kathryn, hope you find what you're after too
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

The Neumanns are excellent mics, but IMHO best for singers with "trained" voices (or very good technique), in moderate volume situations. Not the mic for those with lesser voices or technique, nor for high volume stages. In those cases, Shure KSM 9 can be a better choice on the high $ end, or something like Beyer 69 on the low $ end.
To the OP, don't skimp on wireless if you do go that route, get something that will perform well and last a while. My preference is Lectrosonics, but the higher end Sennheiser and Shure is also good. I'm not a fan of the 58 capsule, but if you like it, there you go.
IMHO wireless is something that singers like, but the audience couldn't care less. As an engineer, I always prefer a good wired mic on talent, and they are indeed less expensive and less problematic.
"Factory farming" is the worst and most horrible abuse of Animals on a massive scale ever devised by greedy humans. Please do what you can to help end it, and "laboratory testing" also. No living being should have to suffer like this. Thank you.
http://www.soundclick.com/edbilleaud
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Good comments edva

I don't claim to be a truly exceptional singer, but have masses of experience and can certainly hold a decent tune

Part of what pushed me into the 105 was to consciously focus my vocal chops - a genuine reason to 'up one's game' if you will

I have a fantastic MusicMan guitar which I love playing and arguably the best guitar processor in the world with the Fractal Audio Axe II, so with the lead vocal being the most important element in the type of live music we do, it's only right that similar levels of (if not more, actually) attention is paid towards that. I'm genuinely looking forward to the 'art of singing' with it

Oh and yes, our stage levels are relatively silent with deadened, triggered drums, no backline whatsoever and in-ear monitoring all round
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well Wyllys, I'm now £399 poorer thanks to you

Have been pondering an upgrade from my Beta 58 for a while... ummed and ahhed about a E945, but it never quite provoked me into a purchase. However, the Neumann 105 'spoke to me' instantly - you kinda know when something feels right even without a first-hand test. Perhaps not the best way to make a significant purchase, but your recommendation, reading the spec and other reviews sold me

Sorry for the thread hijack Kathryn, hope you find what you're after too
Good luck. A mic like that will hold its value a lot better than your average mic-locker filler, so I think the larger part of your investment is safe.
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Part of what pushed me into the 105 was to consciously focus my vocal chops - a genuine reason to 'up one's game' if you will

I'm genuinely looking forward to the 'art of singing' with it

Oh and yes, our stage levels are relatively silent with deadened, triggered drums, no backline whatsoever and in-ear monitoring all round
10th August 2013
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quick update to this after first gig with the Neumann KMS 105...

In summary - wow

To get the sound I want with a Beta 58 took some very extensive EQ carving and even then, it was just a 'representation' of what I was after... but the 105 hit that sound straight out of the box. Instant hook up and immediate love. Applied some additional EQ tweaking just to sweeten things to taste, but absolutely nothing like the same extent as with a Beta 58

Sound-checking tonight in an awful room (all hard surfaces and not a scrap of carpet or curtain in sight) was challenging. Set at gig levels, the feedback took some taming (although the feedback wasn't hugely peaky in any particular frequency), but I managed to sort it through some slight lifting of comp threshold and lowering of ratio. I did brace myself for a problematic night - and even considered swapping back to the Beta 58 for this one as it was a slightly unfair baptism - but I retained a hope that bodies in the place might at least tame some of the rooms excessive reflections... and that's how it turned out come showtime - not a hint of feedback all night and singing with it was an absolute joy from start to finish

It really made the performance even more of a pleasure and turned out to be everything I hoped for and then some - thanks again for the heads-up Wyllys
11th August 2013
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

I'm glad it is working for you. I can appreciate the "and then some..."!

W
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search