Sub groups quieter that stereo assign
grant2b
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear interested

Sub groups quieter that stereo assign

I'm after a bit of advice on a problem i'm having.

I'm sub-grouping drums, bass, vocals etc and then assigning the group to the master bus but the signal is A LOT quieter than if i assign the channel directly to the stereo bus.

Can anyone tell me why this is? The groups are at 0db. I can rectify this with the group compressor but there is only a tiny bit of gain reduction and i seem to have to make up 15-20db!

Does this have something to do with pan law?

I'm using a Midas Verona.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by grant2b; 19th July 2013 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: edit
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant2b View Post
I'm sub-grouping drums, bass, vocals etc and then assigning the group to the master bus but the signal is A LOT quieter than if i assign the channel directly to the stereo bus.

Can anyone tell me why this is? The groups are at 0db. I can rectify this with the group compressor but there is only a tiny bit of gain reduction and i seem to have to make up 15-20db!
Probably the first thing to do is to get rid of any processing on the Group so that you can look at just the Group. Make sure to physically remove any connections from the Group inserts. Does the problem still exist?

When you are comparing levels are you assigning them to the main stereo bus or the Group bus and making sure that when you assign them to the stereo bus they are not assigned to both that and the Group(s)?

What mixer are you using?
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

have you panned the group left and right?
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

pull the insert leads out from the group. assign the channel to group 1. what does it meter? use a signal generator. now assign the same channel to the master. it should be exactly the same.

IRC, the buss meters are post fader, so set your sub groups and master at 0 before you measure
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Just One More Mic...

Hahaha, I saw the title of the thread in the main area and said to myself, "I bet he is using a Midas analog, I had this problem recently with a Verona."

My problem had to do with the ribbon connectors, and have had similar bussing problems with other Midas consoles as well. Go into the console and pull and reseat the ribbons. Do this by taking a ball point pen, getting one side under the connector, push down with your thumb and slowly lift it off by applying more pressure up with the pin than down with the thumb.

Before my GS friends start to hate on the pen method, this is how they do it in the Midas shop according to Tech Support haha.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search