Special request to anyone who has Shure PSM900 and Sennheiser G3 IEM
New Reply
Subscribe
sania44
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Head

Special request to anyone who has Shure PSM900 and Sennheiser G3 IEM

Can anyone who has Shure PSM900 and Sennheiser G3 IEM systems do a shout out and record and post the system white noise (hiss) of both units? I am in the market for one and the only thing that pushes me away from G3 is all the reviews that say that the receiver has too much of noticeable white noise (hiss), even if there is no sound going thru the system. I searched around but could not find any recordings that would compare the noise between the the two systems.
Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon.
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Why don't you just rent one of each system and try them for yourself? I would not recommend basing an opinion on random recordings of such a personal piece of gear. There are just too many variables.

What should guide you is first-hand experience. Do you even have custom molds yet?
sania44
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Gear Head

renting means spending more money on what you already decided to purchase, no I do not have custom molds, it will be used with Shure SE universal-fit earphones. The system is for my wife who is a solo/group singer. All I want to hear is if the noise (hiss) is as bad as some say it is.
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Lives for gear

Both systems spec out identically with a signal to noise ratio of >90db.

With the more generic universal-fit earbuds I seriously doubt that one would find a great difference...IF the gain staging is proper. You're just as likely to pick up noise from somewhere else in the signal chain.

Properly fitted custom molds will exclude a very high percentage of outside sound so the IEM system can be run at a lower volume, hence well above the noise floor. Cheaper, generic earbuds, on the other hand, will admit a lot of outside sound and require more gain from the IEM system thereby making the noise floor more obvious.

It's not just the brand and model here.
sania44
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Gear Head

for me it came down to cost, I can get the G3 much cheaper then the PSM900, plus sennheiser is having 75 dollars rebate promotion going on now as well, so the only reason for not going for G3 now is that hiss noise, but I am starting to go with a thought if the noise was that bad I wouldn't think there would be a lot of people recommending it here on gearslutz.
Thanks for replys Wyllys, what kind of iems do you use?
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Gear addict

I haven't really noticed much of a white noise/hiss from the G3, but I will say that the RF performance has not been up to par with the PSM900 in my experience. Poor RF performance can equate to a lot of hissing and pops and general noise
sania44
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear Head

Does anyone know if the "enhanced digital stereo encoder" that is in PSM900 adds any DSP/latency to the sound? I have asked Shure about it, but they seem to not want to answer.
Can anyone explain how exactly does that encoder work?
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear interested

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search