Soundcraft expression question
New Reply
Subscribe
wixom79
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Soundcraft expression question

Looking for a 32 channel board and obviously the soundcraft expression is on my short list. I currently use a studio live 16.4.2, and the 32 channel is the other board on my list (don't personally like the behringer). My question is...

How difficult is it to set up a multitrack live recording with the expression if I get the right option card? That is a deal breaker for me since I often sell back the raw tracks to bands to make a couple extra bucks. With the presonus and capture it is ridiculously simple. I've heard that with the other boards it takes a little more work.

Second question:
Is there software available that allows me to create scenes and save them, either to the board or computer, like you can with presonus' virtual studiolive. This is extremely helpful when I can get bands to send me their rider or stage plot a couple says in advance.

Any other help is appreciated. Not worried as much about the $500 difference (although that is a nice thing too). I just really like my 16.4.2 and don't want to be dissapointed if I change brands with my new board. I will be keeping the 16.4.2 for smaller gigs and a second small pa.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear interested

Why not a StudioLive 32.4.2?
wixom79
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

The studio live 32.4.2 is my favorite right now. But I didn't know the soundcraft was priced in that range until yesterday... Just want to make sure that I don't buy the SL and then regret it later.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear interested

I guess it's a matter of wether or not you need recallable mic preamps, digital stage box, configurable busses and motorized faders. Never recorded off the Expression, but I know how great the user interface for the StudioLive is. As far as the 32.4.2, 4 subgroups isn't ideal for 32 inputs, but it should be adequate.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

Another Option would be to get a second Studio-Live 16.4.2 and link them.
wixom79
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

I did consider a second 16.4.2, but only 6 auxes is a major problem for me.

I think for me right now the biggest issues are the lack of flying faders on the SL and as far as I can tell there is a lack of ability to multi track record with out buying an expensive option card for the Si.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear nut

Maybe take a second look at the Behringer?
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixom79 View Post
Looking for a 32 channel board and obviously the soundcraft expression is on my short list. I currently use a studio live 16.4.2, and the 32 channel is the other board on my list (don't personally like the behringer).
How quickly do you need it? Seems like the StudioLive 32.4.2 AI release has been pushed back and PreSonus has become rather noncommital on dates after missing the initially announced Q1 or April dates for the new StudioLive AI mixer and speakers. While many retailers are taking pre-orders for the SL 32.4.2 AI, someone posted elsewhere that a PreSonus rep recently told them Q3 for the mixer availability and the dates on some retailer sites also reflect that.

The Si Expression seems to have had a surprising number of initial bugs and problems reported. Soundcraft appears to be addressing them quickly with firmware updates and apparently fixed one common issue but some people seem to be waiting until things are a bit more settled.

There have also been some teasers on a new Allen & Heath mixer to be launched tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what it is since I know they have been watching and learning from the X32, Si Compact/Expression, Roland M series, StudioLives and Pro 1.
wixom79
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

Now why did you have to go and tell me that?! I love Allen and Heath analog boards, if they make a competitive product in this price range then I am gonna have real issues!

How positive are you on that release of the studiolive? Their forum moderators seem to still be hinting at a release in the next month of so.

Are the issues with the Expression boards "deal breakers" or are they simple tweaks and just updates that can be done by hooking it up online?
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
How positive are you on that release of the studiolive? Their forum moderators seem to still be hinting at a release in the next month of so.
Not at all sure, just passing on what I heard. The dates some online retailers show for availability seem to range from May to June/July to October, but those are all 'estimated' dates. Someone that pre-ordered some of the AI speakers recently posted on the PreSonus forums that they were just told they would ship in August. So apparently it is likely to be some time between May and October (maybe). Now that the originally announced availability seems to have been or will likely be missed PreSonus seems hesitant to identify any specific updated availability for the AI products and that may stay that way until they are confident they can support what they say.

Quote:
Are the issues with the Expression boards "deal breakers" or are they simple tweaks and just updates that can be done by hooking it up online?
Some of the issues were apparently pretty significant but I recently read someone posting that the latest firmware seemed to fix the problems they and some others had apparently experienced.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Banned

I don't know about the Expression but I love my SI Compact. Although, if I were in your circumstance the X32 would be a no brainer. What is it that you don't like about it? I plan on buying a Rack and Producer before the summer season starts
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search