Login / Register

Personal work box/road kit. What's in yours?
New Reply
Subscribe
Allaboutrhythm
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear nut

Personal work box/road kit. What's in yours?

Hi All,

Thought this was the best place for this versus "Remote Possibilities" and such. So, lately I have been traveling doing some corporate Audio and I see lots of guys with rolling Pelicans that have mesh pouches in the lid. These seems pretty standard as an operators/techs personal work box. I already have a pretty decent bundle of gear that I tote along with me in a backpack style bag that has compartments, but am looking to upgrade and fill out my "tools of the trade."

So far I carry my laptop, 2ch interface, iPad, headphones, various connectors, tools, cable tester, ipod shuffle (walk in/out music), water bottle/snack, sharpies, and gum.

I'm curious to see what everyone who uses these types of cases keep in them. They are usually about the size of a carry-on and get checked with luggage.

I'm looking for a complete list. Of the many gadgets out there, which ones are the best/favs used. Including those rare nifty gadgets or bits that you may have picked up along the way to really help your ergonomics, workflow, comfort, and of course things that help ensure quality gigs. The "must haves." This can extend to any programs or apps that are helpful too.

I'm looking to get:
Qbox
Pink noise stick
Rta mic
VOG mic with switch (or push to talk)
SMAART (been "getting by" with RTA audio tools by StudioSixDigital)
Aria-with interface.

One program I just started using for instant playback is QLab by Figure53. I know InstaCue is used a lot. Anyone have any input on what works best for Mac? I also use shure's wireless workbench6, and PT9 for any VOG records or audio edits. At the moment I'm using an Mboxmini3 but wouldn't mind a FW800/TB option with higher sample rates. Even if only 2ch of I/O. I've seen guys use RME 1/2 rack pieces and babyfaces. Those are great since they have rock solid drivers and digital I/O as well.

I know there has just been a huge release of tech for iOS at Namm too. Anything that looked promising to you? This will help determine what size case I get and how it's organized. Ideally I would keep the laptop, iPad, and similar stuff on me in a backpack or messenger bag, but I'd like to fill out a well equipped pelican dedicated to gigs.

I do work with a partner on actual remote/location recording gigs regularly too; and we have a "Stanley FatMax" (homedepot) that has proved invaluable for our larger gig/work box. Is like a tackle box in an upright rolling design. This however, is too large and heavy as we keep custom snakes and cable looms as well as tools, batteries, gaffe tape, and other gig necessities. Just need something for more personal use as I am only on these traveling gigs alone. It's also not sturdy enough for travel and baggage throwers.

Any help is immensely appreciated! I just want to be as prepared as possible. (old boyscout thing)

Thanks to everyone in advance for your tips and suggestions!
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear nut

Allaboutrhythm
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear nut

Oops!!! Thanks elharley! I always use the search feature, and didn't today because I was on a gig while posting. Totally my bad. Thanks for directing me to that thread.

Now, can I delete this, or does mod have to?
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear nut

No worries.
Just thought you would enjoy the existing thread.
S21
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
S21
Lives for gear

Gear

I don't have a list of tools and torches and gaffer tape. I just bring enough.

I do have the attached illustrated list of sound system parts which may be of interest. It does show that there are plenty of places for money to be spent other than just mixers and amps.

I also have a couple of laptops (nominally one for sound, one for lights) a couple of iPads and a few iPods (shuffles and touches.) A zoom for mix board tapes. None of the lighting made it to this list either, and there are probably a few things I haven't drawn up yet too.

I do really really low end stuff. I let kids get on stage and give it a go. The gear has been built up around having enough parts for the job at hand rather than buying the best bits available.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sound Gear.pdf (277.7 KB, 55 views)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search