Daisey-Chaining computer speakers for live chiptunes
monkeymonkey35
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear interested

Daisey-Chaining computer speakers for live chiptunes

Hi All,

I'm going to be combining chiptunes sounds with an acoustic ensemble, and I'd like to get some suggestions as to how I could set up speakers.
I do not need 5.1, but I will require 3 channels. Essentially, I would like to run a lot of smallish speakers through my Scarlett 8i6, perhaps in a daisy-chain fashion.

I picked up a pair of these guys for cheap: Amazon.com: Altec Lansing BXR1220 2.0 Speaker System: Electronics
and they actually sound great for this purpose.
Also, being as this is an esthetic that is compatible with distortions, I can turn them up all the way and it doesn't bother me. The one thing, however that might be useful in other sets is longer cabling.

What products might you guys suggest? Is this a potentially problematic approach to setting up speakers? Ultimately, I will already have a pair of nice mains, but I would like probably 3-4 extra sets of subordinate speakers.

Thanks!
monkeymonkey35
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear interested

I'm going to bump this with some added insanity.

Thoughts on splitting a stereo output connection to as many as 3 duplicate stereo outputs (to powered computer speakers), perhaps via a box of some sort?

S21
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
S21
Lives for gear

Well, this is a wild-west town for gear-obsessed people. If you come into the saloon asking about 8-bit music played through $20 speakers people will think you are joking. "Surely you mean 24-bit/96kHz played through $20,000 speakers?"

As it slowly dawns on the rough crowd in this saloon that you do want 8-bit sound, the bar goes quiet. A cowboy with more guns than teeth quietly says, "Mister, there is none of that around here. You should leave."

As the boys from the Real Men's Big Audio Ranch make sure you are really leaving town one of them hears you say about your $20 speakers "I can turn them up all the way and it doesn't bother me." Things get out of hand and a lynching is afoot. They plan on hanging you from the nearest tree with speaker wire. During the five-day-long 200-post argument about which brand of speaker wire sounds best for lynchings, you somehow manage to slip away with your life...

If you just want to run lots of these speakers I'd just join them together with consumer-grade headphone splitters. They come as 2-way y-cables or 8-way star-shaped plastic things. Good enough for LoFi sounds.

Now the lynchmob is coming for both of us, but I feel safe in the knowledge that they will never agree on the cable to hang us with.
monkeymonkey35
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear interested

LOL.

I am more of a musician than an audio expert (not an expert in the slightest, actually), but for my purpose, these crappy little speakers sound perfect! Thanks for the tip!!

Be safe cowboy!!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search