Cardioid Subwoofer Configurations
New Reply
Subscribe
John R Truman
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Gear interested

Cardioid Subwoofer Configurations

I am interested in any additional information regarding how touring engineers configure their subwoofers to achieve a directional "cardiod" pattern, I am hearing many accolades on how it fills the sound better for the audience, and reduces stage rumble and backstage noise, but other opinions and any insight would be helpful.
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
mymixisbetterthanyours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R Truman View Post
I am interested in any additional information regarding how touring engineers configure their subwoofers to achieve a directional "cardiod" pattern, I am hearing many accolades on how it fills the sound better for the audience, and reduces stage rumble and backstage noise, but other opinions and any insight would be helpful.
Sometimes works, sometimes not, is my experience.

D&B J-series tends to work in my experience. As backline tech I'm often directly behind the subs.
30th September 2012
Old 30th September 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R Truman View Post
1st October 2012
Old 1st October 2012
Gear addict

search for dave rat's videos on you tube. cardioid sub array.
1st October 2012
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

Here's a bit of technical white paper on the basics...

(The link is broken for posting... but Google "electro-voice subwoofer array paper" or save the following attachment.

We run a small d+b rig, T-10 L/R main array, with three C-subs flown in the center in a cardioid array, and a pair of B2 subs on the floor for some deep extension (kick and keys pads, mostly). Sweet sounding drug, in a converted warehouse. Bass bleed is minimal all over a short (19' deep) stage.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Subwoofer Arrays v03 .pdf (2.35 MB, 326 views)
John R Truman
1st October 2012
Old 1st October 2012
Gear interested

Thanks blackfish... I really enjoy Dave Rat, down to earth guy, great instructional videos on YouTube. He's touring with the Chili Peppers currently, and conducting seminars at the venues.

Thanks Harry Butler for posting the pdf. and kosmokrater for the experience tip.

[(:-)
7th October 2012
Old 7th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Sometimes works, sometimes not, is my experience.

D&B J-series tends to work in my experience. As backline tech I'm often directly behind the subs.
brands and type have absolutely nothing to do with it. you can array any type or brand.
all it takes is skill and knowledge.

there are several different options when directing sub.

whenever you use more then one sub at the same time, they will interact, and in some way get directional.

for example: putting 10 subs next to each other in one line in front of the stage, without doing anything, automatically creates a very small beam in the center, both front and back.
commonly used solution for this is "Arcing" the subs, by pair by pair, delaying the subs, starting in the center, increasing delay going outside..
this creates a more cardioid form, spreading sub in front, and decreasing sub in the back (exept for the cardioid tail in the middle)

another way of directing subs is as mentioned above: take 3 subs in line, and phase-reverse the middle one, also creating a Cardioid field..

Third commonly used technique is "END FIRE", putting 2 lines of subs fysically behind each other, delaying the first line, to time-align to the second line, increasing power forward and decreasing power backward..

something to keep in mind:
EVERY way of making subs directional consumes overall power.
you will always need MORE subs to achieve the same amount of power.
You will also need more amplifying channels and processing/delay-channels to configure the setup.

sub-arrays are NOT plug and play!
every venue needs new calculation and new decisions. there is no "best" solution!
adapt to the circumstances !
7th October 2012
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Head

Just thought i'd throw my 2p in here..

As part of my portfolio in my last year of university (The Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts), myself and a friend headed up the sound team for LIPA's annual music festival. This involved us designing, configuring and commissioning the best system we could for the space.

We did a sub configuration 'shootout' of sorts, including L/R, spaced and end-fire. We also did some simulations using Meyer's MAPP software (due to d&b's ArrayCalc not featuring C Series boxes!):

L/R Config

Spaced Config

We didn't have the real estate for end fire and L/R had too many dead spots across the audience area so we opted to create our own.

One key element we wanted was maximum cancellation of LF onstage so we experimented with a cardioid sub array, using a number of d&b C7 SUBS in a unique setup.

A combination of a spaced sub array, inverted-phase cabinets, physical splay and delay gave us a really even response across the play area with reduced SPL onstage.

Here is a PDF version of the CAD document to give you some perspective.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1430589/The...ker%20Plot.pdf

Hope this is useful!

Lee
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Here is another link that may be useful:

http://www.bennettprescott.com/downl...erArraying.pdf

I think some of the larger Clair tours are using a large endfire array. It requires several points over center stage, so it's not something the you can do in smaller venues.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Nice job Lee :-)
Looks very good

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Vision met Tapatalk
John R Truman
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear interested

Thanks Lee and Jason, those are the things I can share with the students here.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search