Behringer P16I & P16M review......
New Reply
Subscribe
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcritch View Post

I'm looking at personal monitors to use in a house of worship stage where there is no space for front of house mixing and the mix console is at the rear, upstairs. Currently mixing monitors from the rear and it is nearly impossible to make out hand signals regarding mix volumes. Microphone wiring to stage is by individual cable from stage jack to mix console - no snake. So, with no snake end at the stage, it is not convienient to tap into the signals and provide a inputs to a stage based / musician monitor mix solution.

If anyone knows of a good solution to insert between the stage mic and instrument jacks and the wires to the mix console, let me know. Because there may be room behind or underneath the stage for that. Some sort of 'buffer amplifier' or active / passive splitter arrangment to 'tap into' the stage signals, then send one to a personal monitor mixer system and also send to the rear of house for live mix and any remaining traditional stage monitor mixing.
This could be done with the Mamba Mix System from Networksound. There you can have a 16 channel (MMX16) or 32 channel (MMX32) monitor unit with 4 or 8 Stereo Outs for personal monitoring. The monitor mixes can be set with iPad (iPhone and Android as well).

This monitor unit with 1 RU would be at the stage. Via CAT5 cable you can connect a FOH extension unit which is nearby the FOH desk an gives you all the inputs from the stage unit.

Another setup would be the MMX32 DS with 32 channels from the stage to the FOH unit and 16 return channel beack to the stage unit.

For most applications the MMX16 could be enough. If you need more than the 4 stereo outs you can extend them with an extension unit to 8, 12, 16 and far more stereo outs, all controllable via individual iPads. Every stereo mix has intependand 3 Band EQ on each channel. You can see the whole stereo mix with one view on the iPad surface showing all 16 channels.
Home

There is also a review in the Professional Audio Magazin issue December 2012.
Mamba Monitoring System: Professional Audio Magazin

The big difference to the Aviom or Behringer system is the ease of use for the musican. You don´t have to select a channel first for editing volume, pan or EQ. It´s all there on the surface and you can see all Faders in one view and touch or grab 4 Faders at the same time - very fast and easy. No cables for connecting the personal pannels. The iPad communicates with the MMX units via a wireless acces point. Latency is extremly short - one sample on the internal mixer for all processings.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer P16I & P16M review......-mmx32ds-setup.jpg  
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 View Post
Update.

Been using this system for a while now, and I still can't believe how good it is.

Highly recommended.
Any chance the UK is close to DC in the states?

Seriously would love a chance to touch, listen and try these local to Maryland, DC or Virginia.

Anyone close to me? PM me!

Thanks,
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Thanks for the report. I've been happy with the Behringer HA8000 for almost a decade now... and, as noted, it is one of a very few products from this company that seems to last.

I will point out, however, that when we needed 10 mixes for our HOW IEM system, with a $3,000 budget, about 18 months ago, the StudioLive 24.4.2 was our choice for a dedicated ears mixer. The desk cost us $2,800, and we bought a couple of eBay iPads (controllers) for an additional $400. It seems now that about 80% of the players who frequent our rotation have either iPads or iPhones, and have downloaded the control software, so iPad sharing is getting rare.

The Behringer system looks like it might be a good alternative, at about $2,700 total for 10 mixes... but the drop from 24 to 16 input channels and the 10 additional CAT5 wire runs from the switch to the mixers would still be a deal breaker for me. Yes, I'm the guy who spends 10 minutes after Sunday morning rehearsal straightening, coiling and taping any additional loose runs to the deck... so it just might be my inner "Felix" showing... and the 24.4.2's additional (copious) abilities as a 24ch FOH mixer and recording/tracking desk kind of seal the deal. Add to that, even if the iPad/iPhone net goes down, the mixes remain "as set" since they reside in the 24.4.2 itself. If a P16-M dies (or power is lost), doesn't the mix go down as well? In sum... I think it remains the "right" choice for our situation, even had the Behringer gear been available 18 months ago.

Still, in all, as we expand and beef up the stages in Youth and Children's areas, this might be just what the physician specifies...

HB

You can just buy an X32. It has 16 outs that can mix any of 40 inputs, iPad app needs no computer. iPhone app on the way.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear interested

What is purpose of button press on Vol and Pan knobs?

Just installed this system yesterday, with 8 P16-Ms. Using the distributor on stage to avoid wall warts. 2 questions:
1. What is the purpose of the "switch" on the Volume and Pan knobs? The knobs can be turned as expected, but by pressing them it appears they are a switch.
2. Anyone have recommendations on alternatives to the mic stand mount?

Didn't seem like there was much in the way of a user guide. For instance, when I create a group, do I store it using one of the 16 position buttons? How do I "ungroup?" Must I select all 16 channels to store the setup?

I'm really looking forward to using this.

(BTW I recommend EZRJ45 cable ends if you are using CAT6 cable instead of CAT5. So much easier to crimp the ends.)
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

Not all of us have expensive apple, androids, etc - democrats ruining our economy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar View Post
This could be done with the Mamba Mix System from Networksound. There you can have a 16 channel (MMX16) or 32 channel (MMX32) monitor unit with 4 or 8 Stereo Outs for personal monitoring. The monitor mixes can be set with iPad (iPhone and Android as well).

This monitor unit with 1 RU would be at the stage. Via CAT5 cable you can connect a FOH extension unit which is nearby the FOH desk an gives you all the inputs from the stage unit.

Another setup would be the MMX32 DS with 32 channels from the stage to the FOH unit and 16 return channel beack to the stage unit.

For most applications the MMX16 could be enough. If you need more than the 4 stereo outs you can extend them with an extension unit to 8, 12, 16 and far more stereo outs, all controllable via individual iPads. Every stereo mix has intependand 3 Band EQ on each channel. You can see the whole stereo mix with one view on the iPad surface showing all 16 channels.
Home

There is also a review in the Professional Audio Magazin issue December 2012.
Mamba Monitoring System: Professional Audio Magazin

The big difference to the Aviom or Behringer system is the ease of use for the musican. You don´t have to select a channel first for editing volume, pan or EQ. It´s all there on the surface and you can see all Faders in one view and touch or grab 4 Faders at the same time - very fast and easy. No cables for connecting the personal pannels. The iPad communicates with the MMX units via a wireless acces point. Latency is extremly short - one sample on the internal mixer for all processings.
Thank you for your input. This is a system I was not aware of. I'll look at it.

Problem 1: No distance limitations, cable limitations were discussed with the product you mentioned. There was no discussion about use of any signal repeaters to increase system distance. That was one of my key areas of concern. I'll need to visit the company web site to determine this.

Problem 2: You assume everyone has an overly high priced apple device or an equally over-priced android device. That is simply not the case in the United States! democrats are ruining the economy so much we are all hanging onto our democrat deflated dollars in case our jobs are next! And a church should not be buying small, easily portable devices for musician mixing that can easily be dropped and broken, not returned or stolen. Better to have an inexpensive special purpose unit and remove them from the stage each week to a locker. I'll have to visit the product site to determine if a separate personal monitor mix control is available.

Problem 3: Not every church has the space or budget or staff to have a separate mixer at the stage for monitors. Churshes often have one mixer and we are luck if it is on the venue floor. We typically have the one mixer shoved in a corner of the balcony, where we can barely see the stage and the acoustics of the 'mixer perch' mean we have to go down & up the stairs to hear the actual mix on the floor. A church is typically not a rock concert type of venue and not typically configured that way. Would not need personal monitor mixers if it were.

Problem 4: Most church mixes and monitor systems are mono, not stereo. So you did not describe how the system could be used in a mono environment. I'll look at the company site to determine this.

Problem 5: To see the article you provided a link to, one needs a subscription to the site or magazine.

Yet another cable on stage is not a problem. Stages are full of cables. Yet another democrat is a problem. We already have too many of those foolish folks. They're kind of like the children in the old Pied Piper tale or lemmings.

With either system, one has to take the hands away from the instrument to adjust them. So swiping a tiny touch sensitive screen that does not register well for different sized fingers is not a better alternative than using controls that have a more positive feedback of the control movement.

Well, that's my two cents.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindjoni View Post
You can just buy an X32. It has 16 outs that can mix any of 40 inputs, iPad app needs no computer. iPhone app on the way.
I have not seen where the Behringer X-32 can be controlled by multiple ipads at the same time. So we would like to see if the x-32 could have separate controls - one for drums, one for worship leader, one for choir, etc.

But again, not everyone has ipads, the money for them - every three years, or an organization that should or would be buying them, etc . . .
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

Good questions! I'm curious to see how you solve these problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed View Post
Just installed this system yesterday, with 8 P16-Ms. Using the distributor on stage to avoid wall warts. 2 questions:
1. What is the purpose of the "switch" on the Volume and Pan knobs? The knobs can be turned as expected, but by pressing them it appears they are a switch.
2. Anyone have recommendations on alternatives to the mic stand mount?

Didn't seem like there was much in the way of a user guide. For instance, when I create a group, do I store it using one of the 16 position buttons? How do I "ungroup?" Must I select all 16 channels to store the setup?

I'm really looking forward to using this.

(BTW I recommend EZRJ45 cable ends if you are using CAT6 cable instead of CAT5. So much easier to crimp the ends.)
Good questions! I'm curious to see how you solve these problems.
ScoobyDoo555
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Grouping is done how you describe. Ungrouping is simply repeating the process. Really easy.

The switching simply resets the setting to factory. Ie press the pan, and the position is set to centre.
Same with the volume.
ScoobyDoo555
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Mic stand alternatives. Imho the behringer one is poor (guess they had to cut corners somewhere!) we've machined some replacements.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear interested

Smile Do you have a pattern you are willing to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 View Post
Mic stand alternatives. Imho the behringer one is poor (guess they had to cut corners somewhere!) we've machined some replacements.
Do you have a pattern you are willing to share?
ScoobyDoo555
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Will try to dig out the plans - might have to see if there's an issue, as they were designed during work time at work (possible contractual issue)

But FWIW, all you need is metal plate. the screw-hole measurements from the underneath of the P16m, and some type of fixing/clamp/mic clip to join it to the mic stand
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear interested

Need for the P16i or P16d

Hey guys, thanks for all the info on the P16. I have just purchased the system for our church as well as an X32 and 2 S16's Stage boxes.

My question is this: Do I need to purchase a P16i or a P16d to make the system work? The way I looked at it, I should be able to come out of the ultranet port on the S16 to provide control for my P16m's...Am I correct there, or do I have to put a P16i or a P16d in between? Thanks so much for the assistance!

26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcritch View Post
Thank you for your input. This is a system I was not aware of. I'll look at it.

Problem 1: No distance limitations, cable limitations were discussed with the product you mentioned. There was no discussion about use of any signal repeaters to increase system distance. That was one of my key areas of concern. I'll need to visit the company web site to determine this.
If your IEM is wireless you don´t have any cables for personal monitoring on the stage.

The Mamba Mix is often used in churches because of its ease of use and fast set up,

Quote:
Problem 2: You assume everyone has an overly high priced apple device or an equally over-priced android device.
And a church should not be buying small, easily portable devices for musician mixing that can easily be dropped and broken, not returned or stolen. Better to have an inexpensive special purpose unit and remove them from the stage each week to a locker. I'll have to visit the product site to determine if a separate personal monitor mix control is available.
If you want you can control all mix outputs by one device. Although every musican could control his own mix by a seperate device one iPad would be enough. The smallest iPad 2 works fine. I often control it with my 3 years old iPhone 3 which you get for nothing in these days.

Quote:
Problem 3: Not every church has the space or budget or staff to have a separate mixer at the stage for monitors. Churshes often have one mixer and we are luck if it is on the venue floor. We typically have the one mixer shoved in a corner of the balcony, where we can barely see the stage and the acoustics of the 'mixer perch' mean we have to go down & up the stairs to hear the actual mix on the floor. A church is typically not a rock concert type of venue and not typically configured that way. Would not need personal monitor mixers if it were.
Point taken. The big thing with Mamba Mix is that you can combine it with EVERY existing mixer which is already in use. Just connect the Mix, Group or Direct Outs of the mixer under the balcony with the Mamba Mix (leave that under the balcony as well). Then take the iPhone/iPad and adjust all mixes and levels wireless standing next by the musicans.

All together this could be less expensive and more powerful than getting a complete new system for monitoring and mixing - and long cables.

Quote:
Problem 4: Most church mixes and monitor systems are mono, not stereo. So you did not describe how the system could be used in a mono environment. I'll look at the company site to determine this.
Every stereo mixer can also be used in mono.

Quote:
Yet another cable on stage is not a problem. Stages are full of cables.

With either system, one has to take the hands away from the instrument to adjust them. So swiping a tiny touch sensitive screen that does not register well for different sized fingers is not a better alternative than using controls that have a more positive feedback of the control movement.
Try to adjust any input channel on an iPad, say channel 1, 2 and 4. You can do it at once, directly. Easy and fast with one move. Works really great. Try it. With the large faders even tiny moves can be done fast and safe.
With controlers like the Aviom or Behringer you first have to select the channel and then you edit the volume. In that time your fingers are already off of the iPad and playing again while you would still busy with selecting channels on the other controls.
ScoobyDoo555
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane2477 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the info on the P16. I have just purchased the system for our church as well as an X32 and 2 S16's Stage boxes.

My question is this: Do I need to purchase a P16i or a P16d to make the system work? The way I looked at it, I should be able to come out of the ultranet port on the S16 to provide control for my P16m's...Am I correct there, or do I have to put a P16i or a P16d in between? Thanks so much for the assistance!

Sorry buddy, can't help with the interfacing between x32 setups. Although i was led to believe what your saying about the S16 is correct.
the p16 is just a glorified a/d converter.

Currently looking at it myself though...... Will keep watching on here.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane2477 View Post

Just plug a Cat 5 from the Ultranet port on the back of the X32 or the S16 to the In port of the P16M, then chain from the out port of the P16M to the next one.

John
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for teh feedback / comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar View Post
If your IEM is wireless you don´t have any cables for personal monitoring on the stage.

The Mamba Mix is often used in churches because of its ease of use and fast set up,

If you want you can control all mix outputs by one device. Although every musican could control his own mix by a seperate device one iPad would be enough. The smallest iPad 2 works fine. I often control it with my 3 years old iPhone 3 which you get for nothing in these days.

Point taken. The big thing with Mamba Mix is that you can combine it with EVERY existing mixer which is already in use. Just connect the Mix, Group or Direct Outs of the mixer under the balcony with the Mamba Mix (leave that under the balcony as well). Then take the iPhone/iPad and adjust all mixes and levels wireless standing next by the musicans.

All together this could be less expensive and more powerful than getting a complete new system for monitoring and mixing - and long cables.

Every stereo mixer can also be used in mono.

Try to adjust any input channel on an iPad, say channel 1, 2 and 4. You can do it at once, directly. Easy and fast with one move. Works really great. Try it. With the large faders even tiny moves can be done fast and safe.
With controlers like the Aviom or Behringer you first have to select the channel and then you edit the volume. In that time your fingers are already off of the iPad and playing again while you would still busy with selecting channels on the other controls.
Thanks for teh feedback / comments!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

X32's have the P16M's Ultranet built-in, so there's no need for a P16I or associated cabling, but what's really cool is the S16 stage box does as well, so if you've got an X32 out front the AES50 connection to the S16 on stage carries the 16 monitor channels as well. IMO the S16 is the most attractive piece of the X32 group of products. I'll be getting the first X32 Producer available in my area and an S16 for sure.

What's missing is a wireless IEM transmitter built into the P16M. On its own it's nice and tidy, but adding wireless IEM is messy without a cu$tom ca$e.
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear interested

Just bought an X32 and S16 and A P16m, works great however i cant get the P16 to work without a wall wart.
I guess you need a distributor to power the P16, bit disappointing that.

Has anyone got a p16 working through an x32 or s16 without separate PSU?
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to PMoshay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicknack View Post
Just bought an X32 and S16 and A P16m, works great however i cant get the P16 to work without a wall wart.
I guess you need a distributor to power the P16, bit disappointing that.

Has anyone got a p16 working through an x32 or s16 without separate PSU?

The 1st unit will work without wall wart only, unit 2 and on need a wall wart power supply. The AES50 spec does not carry much power, the spec is designed for data as ethernet is not really designed to distribute power.
24th August 2013
Old 24th August 2013
Gear interested

Hi pete,
Thanks for taking time to respond I've read the spec of both manuals. The ultranet ports don't carry power on the X32 and S16 . You mention aes50. Can you plug the personal monitoring p16m into a aes50 port instead?
Many thanks
24th August 2013
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to PMoshay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicknack View Post
Hi pete,
Thanks for taking time to respond I've read the spec of both manuals. The ultranet ports don't carry power on the X32 and S16 . You mention aes50. Can you plug the personal monitoring p16m into a aes50 port instead?
Many thanks
Not sure about that, I know that in my studio setup I have a maxed out Behringer headphone system with the extra Ethernet hub and its always 1 box with no power wart, all following boxes need power.
I'm not sure if the ultranet software can do it or not..... My guess is that ultranet is a modified version of the aes50 that Behringer uses....... I'll ask the rep when I speak to him next.
24th August 2013
Old 24th August 2013
Gear interested

Yeah I checked it this morning, No power until i use a Wall wart :( AES50 or Ultranet from an X32 or S16

Big Let down for me that,
Now i have to plug a stupid short lead PSU into the powerplay that sits on a mic stand in the middle a room. Or Drop another £350 on a distribution unit

The PSU just reaches the floor, very ugly!
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear nut

Dear Snicknack,
Just confirming that in order to get power over the Ethernet cable to a P16-M, you need a direct connection to either a P16-I or P16-D. Since your are using the system with the X32 you only need a P16-D, which connects to the ULTRANET port on the X32 or S16 and provides 8 powered outputs. The P16-D can be had for €173, £148.66 on at Thomann in the UK. The street price in the US is $199.
Let me know if I can help in anyway with your P16 system.

Best,
John DiNicola
Senior Specialist, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

Hi John,
Thanks for helping
After my X32 purchase, which is great btw.
Ive just spent £800 on an S16 and a further £ 220 for P16m + bracket to use in a small studio.
A £150 power supply seems like a complete waste of money for a single p16m and the psu has a very small cable length, and needs either an extension or be mounted within a meter of a socket (its a trip hazard).

It's not a big deal but, I can't help but feel a little disappointed after such a big outlay.
Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9300
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

Just in case anyone is interested:

We use our P16i/P16M system in a slightly different way, probably not how it was intended to be used!

We are a 5 piece tribute band and we work mainly in venues where PA is provided. We have our own engineer but have to work with the house engineer as well. More often than not the FOH is great but the monitoring is nearly always woeful.

We decided to buy a Powerplay system but run it "pre" anything the house might do. In other words everything except for drums comes first to our rack then on via a passive XLR splitter to FOH stage boxes etc. The only exception being the drums where we ask for a feed back from FOH via one of their auxes.

In order to achieve this we had to think creatively as the P16i is a line level device, no mic pre-amps.

So, in our rack we have a Yamaha MG166CX which we use to convert mic inputs to line level and also add reverb on the vocals where its required. We use the L&R outputs and subgroups and the Insert Jacks as direct outs, to feed the P16 with line level signals from the mics.

In the rack with the P16i and the Yamaha is a Behringer 4 way 1U DI and a 8 way passive XLR splitter from Orchid.

We then come straight out of the P16i's ethernet switch ports to each band member's P16M.

All in all it works really well. Everything in the rack is pre-wired so when we arrive its a relatively simple job to just plug mics and keys etc into our rack and give our 15 outs (on 2 x 8 way Sssnakes) to FOH.

Audio quality is excellent and the units have a nice "built well" feel to them.

Regarding that dodgy stand adapter; I got rid of the screws and attached velcro pads to mine which is fine as a temporary fix. More permanently I think an idea to make it a neater set up is to drill-out and file the holes to a keyhole and Locktite the screws in the P16M. The unit could then just clip into place on the stand adapter. I agree with people that the adapter is pretty crap tbh.

Very happy with it though. Well done Behringer as far as I'm concerned.
1st September 2013
Old 1st September 2013
Gear Head

Send a message via MSN to Miramar_sessions
Have you ever tried the M-48 roland system? its a very diferent beast! of course its not for this amount of money, but its a serious winner. 40 inputs, 16 stereo groups. Eq available for every group, and for the master. Reverb available for every group. You can control the personal mixers from the FOH if needed to help the musicians. The mixers has an ambient mic to have some air on the IEM. You can send dieferent groups for each personal mixer etc... i dont know the Avion stuff, but maibe this its more on that way...

I'm making the life of the bands that i work, much easier, and the guys dont want to do it in any other way from now on!

Have a look!

www.boomstudios.pt
18th September 2013
Old 18th September 2013
Gear interested

I'm sold on IEM now tbh I wouldn't want to go back to floor monitors. I've only had a decent monitor mix a few times in the 35 or so years I've been in bands and the loud noise has given me tinnitus so its IEMs for ever
19th September 2013
Old 19th September 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYinUk View Post
Just in case anyone is interested:

We use our P16i/P16M system in a slightly different way, probably not how it was intended to be used!

We are a 5 piece tribute band and we work mainly in venues where PA is provided. We have our own engineer but have to work with the house engineer as well. More often than not the FOH is great but the monitoring is nearly always woeful.

We decided to buy a Powerplay system but run it "pre" anything the house might do. In other words everything except for drums comes first to our rack then on via a passive XLR splitter to FOH stage boxes etc. The only exception being the drums where we ask for a feed back from FOH via one of their auxes.

In order to achieve this we had to think creatively as the P16i is a line level device, no mic pre-amps.

So, in our rack we have a Yamaha MG166CX which we use to convert mic inputs to line level and also add reverb on the vocals where its required. We use the L&R outputs and subgroups and the Insert Jacks as direct outs, to feed the P16 with line level signals from the mics.

In the rack with the P16i and the Yamaha is a Behringer 4 way 1U DI and a 8 way passive XLR splitter from Orchid.

We then come straight out of the P16i's ethernet switch ports to each band member's P16M.

All in all it works really well. Everything in the rack is pre-wired so when we arrive its a relatively simple job to just plug mics and keys etc into our rack and give our 15 outs (on 2 x 8 way Sssnakes) to FOH.

Audio quality is excellent and the units have a nice "built well" feel to them.

Regarding that dodgy stand adapter; I got rid of the screws and attached velcro pads to mine which is fine as a temporary fix. More permanently I think an idea to make it a neater set up is to drill-out and file the holes to a keyhole and Locktite the screws in the P16M. The unit could then just clip into place on the stand adapter. I agree with people that the adapter is pretty crap tbh.

Very happy with it though. Well done Behringer as far as I'm concerned.
I'm curious why you decided to run to run everything with basically a Y connector for every mic on stage, as opposed to just putting the P-16i off the direct outs of FOH. ?? I guess some places might not have direct outs there and you'd have that covered for that case, but I can't think of another reason.

I have seen a lot of bands run their stage mix (mainly for wedges) this way, but they will typically use a full mixer for the stage and either use the direct outs from that to send to FOH or Y every mic like you did. But at least they have a full mixer to handle all the mics as needed and basically make a completely usable stage mix from stage that sounds totally great. Seems like an X32 Rack on stage with mic Y's instead of P-16i and could accomplish the same thing...and then don't have to worry whether FOH has direct outs, nor the long cat5. Just thinking out loud, I have to make a decision soon about P-16i.

Were there any other compelling reasons?
19th September 2013
Old 19th September 2013
Gear nut

Does anyone know if a single P16-M can be controlled with an Ipad over midi somehow?
19th September 2013
Old 19th September 2013
Gear interested

The main reasons we chose to do it this way are:

1. The venues we have played have mostly NOT had desks with Direct Outs neither have they had ethernet runs from FOH to the stage.

2. We have had very mixed experiences with the FOH engineers we've worked with.

3. We play a huge variety of venues and never know quite what we are going to encounter kit wise. That's despite always sending out a tech rider and requesting a kit list from the venue / promoter.

4. Cost.

So we decided we needed a system where we are totally independent from whatever FOH have equipment and personel wise.

Basically we arrive, set up the P16 and present FOH with 15 ends to connect to their stagebox(es).

They can then get their gain structures etc setup without affecting us in any way. If they have an engineer who thinks its OK to fiddle with channel gains during the show then it doesn't f**k up our monitor mix.

BTW as far as I know there isn't yet an app to control the P16m mix from an iPad etc, only from a Behringer controller.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search