MJ memorial show sound
New Reply
Subscribe
LX3
7th July 2009
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Talking MJ memorial show sound

I hope it's not inappropriate, but I just wanted to say how good the broadcast mix is (watching it now) from the Michael Jackson memorial event at the Staples Center. Strangely, the best sound I've heard from a big US event for a long long time. Great job.
7th July 2009
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post
I hope it's not inappropriate, but I just wanted to say how good the broadcast mix is (watching it now) from the Michael Jackson memorial event at the Staples Center. Strangely, the best sound I've heard from a big US event for a long long time. Great job.
I was just thinking that too!

Really bang up job!

Perfect amount of ambience mics!
7th July 2009
Old 7th July 2009
Gear nut

Man, I hate seeing people grieve. Guess this is a bad choice to watch then. Who wants to watch little kids sit next to their father's casket as people talk about him? To see a mother and father live to see their youngest son die?
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

This was truly a class act in more ways than one. Not quite the "circus" I was expecting. Sound was good too, although the piano was a little dull.....
9th July 2009
Old 9th July 2009
Gear addict

Red face I disagree

What was the deal with John Mayer's guitar sound? I couldn't hear half of what he played, and when the full band came in they didn't adjust his volume and he was lost until he went up the octave.......On "I'll Be There" the second singer"s mic wasn't even on when he started singing....I am sick of seeing broadcasts where they screw up the mics being turned on. I know there can be "other factors" involved, but it happens on almost EVERY large broadcast.

I also found the backup singers' mix to be out of balance with themselves. I would have expected better considering they have been rehearsing in that venue for quite some time. "The last song they did was part of the MJ show they were rehearsing @ the Staples Center..."

I do agree with the comment that it was a classy event, and could have very easily gone south...does anyone think that Usher putting his hand on the casket was tacky? I know he was grieving, and am sorry he lost a friend.

Just an opinion.......

Rob
*Now On iTunes

Last edited by RMJAZZ; 9th July 2009 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: "clarification of statement"
9th July 2009
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJAZZ View Post
What was the deal with John Mayer's guitar sound? I couldn't hear half of what he played
A great drum sound but that should be behind the guitar not louder than it and what you could hear of the guitar sounded crappy anyway.

just a comment about one part of it anyway.
9th July 2009
Old 9th July 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post

the sound changes from Tv station and cable company.

im my cable, there was like 4 or 5 channels transmitting.

some had good sound, some were insane bad... the CNN i had had cable hummmmmmmmmm like crazy.
LX3
10th July 2009
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
the sound changes from Tv station and cable company..
Yeah, the skill with which a TV station/broadcaster can trash a straightforward stereo feed never ceases to amaze me. Everyone seems to think that their own compression/EQ/whatever is essential - even if they're piling it on top of the compression/EQ/whatever that's already on it.

Half way 'round the world in the UK, I was watching live on BBC2, and the sound was fantastic. Apart from the occasional little dropouts in the feed.

Considering the thrown-together nature of the show, technically and performance-wise, I thought it was superbly produced. If you've ever mixed a show for live broadcast, as it happens, you'll understand what a challenge it is. Yet I've heard far worse Grammy shows, Superbowls, etc where there's presumably a lot more rehearsal and resources thrown at it.

Maybe this was an example "Less cooks make the broth taste great" .

If John Mayer played with a bit too much "sensitivity" for some, or Mariah fluffed a couple of notes... that's not really the point.

Well done to everyone involved, whoever you were.
11th July 2009
Old 11th July 2009
Gear maniac

missed the event is there a rebroadcast or on-demand event of this mj show?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search