In ear for stage tech
Old 19th May 2004
Lives for gear

In ear for stage tech

I just returned from a festival that, for a reason I can't understand, has no com between FOH, monitors and recording. I have my own com for me and my stage tech, but I decided to try something different this year in addition to my usual com.

We used an IEM for my stage tech, Steve Fisher. I fed the control room output plus a mic to the IEM. It worked very well. I could solo a problem channel and Steve could hear the signal while solving the problems that came up (wind noise, grounding issues, bad snake lines).

Has anyone else tried this?

Bill Plummer
TinderArts
Old 20th May 2004
Gear maniac

Re: In ear for stage tech

Hello Bill P,

Wired IEM of wireless? If wireless, any dropouts?

Hypothetically speaking>>>>>>>>>>>>

iirc, there was 1000+ ft of cat5e and 1000+ ft of cat3 in the hallway.

I did not have a chance to discuss my role with the principals this year. I came in with a little of everything.

Clear com x 4 (a step or three above EONS and 57's) for house, production, remote and monitors
three laptops
two printers
one multi function scanner/printer/copier
gigabit ethernet
video cameras with remote motion control
802.11b/a/g wireless + (2) repeaters/boosters
soldering station / cable testers
six of every type of battery!
and on and on....

If it's the same festival I was at (highly unlikely: did I bump into you? ), I did little or no interaction with the local sound crew/company, and boy o boy, you missed a flow of poetry on Sunday night over at Rodney's place.

NYC Drew
Old 20th May 2004
Lives for gear

Wireless. It was located on stage and fed down the A/R mic snake. No dropouts that I know of.
Old 22nd May 2004
urumita

Neat Idea!! I would add a tech talkback and camera too, like a combat com system, everything on a set of eye glasses or in a headband. Camera over one ear, mic on a gooseneckand the in ear thing. 3 body packs, receiving-transmitting station at the stage box.
How did you mix in the mic or was it just the normal TB or slate?
If you've only got 1 guy to talk to it sounds great, can you get more audio on one band?
I've been thinking about running 2way radio from the stage box to a fixed station at the control room but haven't started looking yet. I'll be working at one place that is radio silent between the different spaces I have to work in and record. The radio mic and IEM are already set up for pro audio levels and connections. How simply could a complicated com network be made with these devices? The solo is especially nice.
Old 23rd May 2004
Super Moderator

We have sent program to our standard comm system plenty of times. But, I like the solo idea a lot. I cannot wait to try it out. I will use my Studio Comm's dub out feature to send program or the (solo) monitor out of the console. Switching back and forth will be no sweat. Very cool idea -- Thanks!

We have added a bunch of wireless comms to our inventory. That's two 2 channel wireless comms per system making it a total of 8 drops available. It's enough to run each truck with a couple of extra drops as backup.

I met this film sound guy that had a pair of video eyeglasses. I've also seen a video tape operator using a similar system. He was able to view his router or any of the decks and their menus via this setup. Very cool system. I always wanted to try it out, especially on a portable gig.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search