New Reply
Subscribe
Myopic Void
1st December 2006
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Head

New Lynx Aurora in the Studio..opinions needed

Hello,

I have not posted much but I wanted to get some feedback from others regarding the Lynx Aurora 8 for transfers from tape. We just purchased one with the AES16 card and are getting ready to use it next week for our new studio. We track alot on tape so getting a good conversion is important.

We have been using the Delta 1010 for transfers and are not real happy with the transfer to the DAW, the tape sounds fuller/richer/more complex/better highs etc than the audio once transferred to the DAW. So we decided to try the Lynx Aurora after all of the postive reviews.

We could have gone Apogee 16 or Rosetta 800 but are concerned about colorization. We are getting IMHO enough from the mic-pre's we use and the tape itself. Has anyone here used the Aurora for tape transfers and had good resuslts, better than a Delta 1010 for transfers? Would it be a large improvement to clock from a Big Ben for tape transfers or just use the Aurora clock which according to some is superb? Thanks for your feedback.

Kindest Regards,

Eric

Our current setup as follows:

Recorders
Ampex 440 1" 8trk 15/30ips
Ampex 440C 1/2" 4trk 15/30ips
Ampex 440C 1/4" 2 trk 15/30ips
PC Cubase DAW/ 2 Gig's Ram/3300hz/Sata Seagate Drives
Delta 1010 24/96

Mic Pres,
3 1272 Neve
1 SCA A12
1 SCA C82
1 Ampex 400 Channel Electronics Tube Mic-Pre (circa 1953)
Mackie 1402 XDR

Mic's
Royer 121
EV RE20
2 CAD 400s
Sennheiser ME40
6 Shure 545/57/58 etc
Senn MD 421

Monitors
EVENT 20/20
Realistic Minimus 7
Crest 400 Power Amp
Monster SP1000 speaker cables.

Rooms
25x25 Main Studio room/
16x12 Control room
1st December 2006
Old 1st December 2006
Gear nut

I did not like the sound of the Aurora 8 at all when I heard it. The highs sounded very brittle, especially compared to an ad16x. and if you want a great clock, doesn't the ad16x have the big ben clock in it?
Myopic Void
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
I did not like the sound of the Aurora 8 at all when I heard it. The highs sounded very brittle, especially compared to an ad16x. and if you want a great clock, doesn't the ad16x have the big ben clock in it?
That's too bad about the Lynx Aurora 8 sounding so bad, we had heard some really positive reviews when it was tested against the Apogee 800 & A16, Well we will give it a shot and see how it does. Did you transfer from tape when you tested the Lynx and Apogee? As far as the clock I think Big Ben woiuld be inside of the A16, maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

Best,

Eric
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Everyone has their opinions and their ears, but mine tell me that the Aurora-16 is wonderful!!! I love mine, and can't imagine living without it! I have had mine for over a year, and have never looked back or regretted the purchase for one second.

Mine is internally clocked, and hooked up to a Lynx AES-16 interface.

Best of luck!

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra
Myopic Void
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Everyone has their opinions and their ears, but mine tell me that the Aurora-16 is wonderful!!! I love mine, and can't imagine living without it! I have had mine for over a year, and have never looked back or regretted the purchase for one second.

Mine is internally clocked, and hooked up to a Lynx AES-16 interface.

Best of luck!
Glad to hear some more good feedback on this unit. I just hope it is a noticable difference compared to the Delta 1010 we have been using. As far as I can tell the Delta 1010 may be the weakest link in the chain. I cannot wait to test it out!

Best,

Eric
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

I guess it's all subjective... but I was in a shootout with several other "great ears" and we consistently picked the Auroras over the Apogees. They are FANTASTIC. Actually... a guy posted some samples of a mixes he did through a summing buss... one with Apogee... one with Auroras. Everyone was picking the Auroras as their favorite of the two.... until he posted which was which. Then all of a sudden the Apogees sounded better.... Pshaw!!

I tried em all and picked the Lynx's. If nothing else... they are in the VERY same league quality wise as apogees... it's just totally subjective beyond that.

jmtc...
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Dude, the delta 1010s? You are going to be so stoked with the Auroras, its ridiculous.
I can't stress enough how happy I am with mine. Use it with the Aes 16 and never never never a problem. The 1st trouble free interface I've ever owned, and i've owned a hell of a lot.

My previous high end a/d was a Jim Williams modded lucid a/d. He said with his mod, it had pretty much the same vibe as a mytek 96 a/d. The Lynx KILLS the modded lucid I had.

Also, I think the internal clock is great, but their may be something to be gained from an external clock. I need to experiment more myself. I did a little inconclusive testing with a Big Ben.
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Myopic Void
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Dude, the delta 1010s? You are going to be so stoked with the Auroras, its ridiculous.
I can't stress enough how happy I am with mine. Use it with the Aes 16 and never never never a problem. The 1st trouble free interface I've ever owned, and i've owned a hell of a lot.

thermos...This is good news! Thank you for the insight. I was hoping for a discernable jump in quality. I do not expect night and day I just want there to be an improvement.

When I transfer from the Ampex 1" 8 trk deck to the 1010's I loose something in bottom end and in the top. And since I monitor through the Delta's I wonder what it is doing there too to the sound?

Quote:
Before you think a Big Ben is essential you might want to read this thread, especially the bit about measured jitter levels.

Thanks Dave..I will check it out...

Eric
Myopic Void
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
I guess it's all subjective... but I was in a shootout with several other "great ears" and we consistently picked the Auroras over the Apogees. They are FANTASTIC. Actually... a guy posted some samples of a mixes he did through a summing buss... one with Apogee... one with Auroras. Everyone was picking the Auroras as their favorite of the two.... until he posted which was which. Then all of a sudden the Apogees sounded better.... Pshaw
More good news!! Sounds good. I am curious how the lynx will sound for cutting tracks on it and not using tape. The Delta 1010 is thinner sounding with edgier highs when we just cut direct to the hard drive. The Royer 121 has helped soften up the highs but so far we get better results cutting to tape. I want to try the Royer 121 through the Neve 1272' or SCA A12 straight to the lynx and onto the DAW. If it is a real improvement we may get to save on tape cost for some projects.

Best,

Eric
AB3
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

I like my Aurora with the Isochrone. Make sure you turn off the synchrolok functions on the Aurora and AES 16 (if that is what you are using).

I do not care about jitter specs, all I know is that is sounds tighter and I like it better.
Myopic Void
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Make sure you turn off the synchrolok functions on the Aurora and AES 16 (if that is what you are using).
Yes I am using the AES 16 card. Does the synchrolok funtion create problem? Should I turn it off when I am using a external clock or all the time in any configuration?

Thanks,

Eric
AB3
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

Yes, whenever you have an external clock. Otherwise, from what I am hearing, the synchrolok supercedes the external clock, and there is no benefit from the external clock!
And turn if off on the Aurora AND the Lynx AES 16. And put them both in external mode.
DO NOT turn off the the synchrolok when not using the external clock.

External clock - i.e. Big Ben - Isochrone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic Void View Post
Yes I am using the AES 16 card. Does the synchrolok funtion create problem? Should I turn it off when I am using a external clock or all the time in any configuration?

Thanks,

Eric
Myopic Void
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Head

What are most of you setting your sample rate at on the Lynx Aurora? What do you find at 44.1k or 96k? I plan on transferring tape at 24/96. I have never tried 192 and have no idea wether that would be just major overkill with the Lynx Aurora.

For some reason??the Delta 1010 sounds a little better at 44.1k than 96. I have nod idea why but the top end is more shrill at 96k.

Best,

Eric

if you go to the soundclick link below and click on "Mecury Vapor Stain" that was just done (vocal not included) on the Ampex 1" at 15ips and then transferred on the Delta1010 at 44.1. Listen to the mid-section breakdown and solo section. MP3's blow but you can get an idea of the Delta tape transfer ability. I can't wait to try the Aurora out on this one.
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

I run my Aurora at 24/88.2 all the time.
Myopic Void
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
I run my Aurora at 24/88.2 all the time.
How does it sound at 96k to your ears? I am going to try all of them and then go from there....192 will be to much most likely but we'll see..

Eric
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

I just read somewhere that the aurora specs better at 96k, and that the high end response actually extends further than when its operating at 192. I've never tried either.
Myopic Void
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Head

I just read somewhere that the aurora specs better at 96k, and that the high end response actually extends further than when its operating at 192. I've never tried either.That's interesting! 96k on my Delta 1010's sounds worse than 44.1?????????
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear maniac

I just did an xfer from 2" and couldn't tell the difference between the tape feed and the signal passing AD then DA using an Aurora 16. I also did some tests with the Big Ben Clock on the Aurora 16 and this is what I found.

converter tests
Myopic Void
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
I just did an xfer from 2" and couldn't tell the difference between the tape feed and the signal passing AD then DA using an Aurora 16. I also did some tests with the Big Ben Clock on the Aurora 16 and this is what I found.
Thats GREAT news Rickard! That's what I am hoping for, tape transfers with no colorization. I checked your link..Thank You, that was very helpful. From what I am hearing, the Aurora is no doubt a pro-piece that is top shelf, and is in the same class as the apogee line. I cannot wait to try this baby out!

Best,

Eric
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Lives for gear

GREAT converters i love the Aurora 16
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear nut

I recently did a shootout with the aurora's and apogee rosetta800. I felt that the aurora's were in the same general class.

I liked the rosetta better on some material and the aurora on others.

Im about to updgrade and I plan on 2 aurora 16's and 2 channels of mytek shortly thereafter.

It's certainly a lot of converter for the money !

joel
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pace View Post

If you clock the Aurora to a Big Ben with the syncrolock OFF, it sounds better then the AD16X to my ears. I owned both.
SSD Drum Suite now Available for DOWNLOAD!!
40 WORLD CLASS DRUMKITS FOR RTAS/VST/AU
www.slatedigital.com
DOWNLOAD NEW TRIGGER DEMO!
www.slateproaudio.com
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Gear addict

Stupid to ask maybe, but how to connect the Aurora to PC if you dont have the AES16 ? Or in other words, is the AES16 an absolute necessity ?
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by androne View Post
Stupid to ask maybe, but how to connect the Aurora to PC if you dont have the AES16 ? Or in other words, is the AES16 an absolute necessity ?
Well you can connect it to another soundcard, the rms aes32 for ex, the aes16 is not an absolute necessity.
Firewire for the Aurora is supposed to come out anytime soon, that might be something else to check out, the ADAT extension card exist also.
To the original poster, I've had the Aurora16/aes16 for a while and it works just great, the sound is very clean, It sounds better than Apogee to my ears. The only thing I don't like that much is the aes16, I don't think the quality of the soundcard is on par with the quality of their converters, the routing is not the greatest but really nothing critical.
Myopic Void
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
I've had the Aurora16/aes16 for a while and it works just great, the sound is very clean, It sounds better than Apogee to my ears. The only thing I don't like that much is the aes16, I don't think the quality of the soundcard is on par with the quality of their converters, the routing is not the greatest but really nothing critical.
Today 06:58 AM
Sounds good. I got the AES16 card for the Lynx, the 1010 card is nothing to write home about so even if the Lynx is not perfect I am sure is better than the 1010.

Best,

Eric
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic Void View Post
Sounds good. I got the AES16 card for the Lynx, the 1010 card is nothing to write home about so even if the Lynx is not perfect I am sure is better than the 1010.

Best,

Eric
I moved from 1010s to the Aurora 8/AES 16 combo (w/ isochrone), and yes, it's better than the 1010. By very very much. Very very very much.
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Gear maniac

More good news!! Sounds good. I am curious how the lynx will sound for cutting tracks

I replaced my Digi 192 with the Aurora 16 with the LT-HD card two weeks ago and I got to tell ya....it rocks for live tracking.
You won't be disappointed......A significant upgrade from my 192 sonically and having 16 i/o analog without having to buy those silly digi cards certainly does not suck!
Danny Shaffer

http://www.dannyshaffer.com
Myopic Void
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Gear Head

Danny...Thanks for another vote of confidence for Lynx..

I plan on transferring some tracks tracked on tape this week through the Lynx and posting them here on the site.

Eric
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search