New Reply
Subscribe
soupking
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear

Good Voiceover Preamp

Hi everybody,

What preamp would be good for or is used in voiceovers? I'd imagine something generally solid state like API would do the trick. But since I'm getting a professional radio jockey to come in for a project of mine, I'd like to be sure to have the proper equipment that radios use for this kind of application. I'd ask him but he's really popular and I don't want to bug him. Does anybody have any feedback or experience with this sort of application?

I already have a Vintech 1272, Demeter VTMP, and a Telefunken v72. However, I am a perfectionist that's willing to get the most suitable tool for the job no matter what.

Any suggestions?
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Gear maniac

What's the application? What is he recording?

Truthfully, any of those pres will work just fine. Typically radio stations use processors like a Symetrix 528...and generally those who use them compress the crap out of signal.

I would use an 87 or a 416 (416 is used almost in every post studio in LA and by many thunderthroats) into anyone of those pres.

If he has the time try each pre on him and pick the one that sounds best.
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear

The application is a mock job of a modern radio jockey on an oldies radio station. So I'm trying to mimic what a modern radio station would do.

I guess it might also depend on his voice?? I just know that radio stations tend to compress the hell out of eveything.
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Gear maniac

ha well I'm not sure about preamps, but you're for sure going to need an electrovoice RE20! Thats what you always see on TV radio studios
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
I will recommend you the Millenia STT1 is a super clean , huge transparent sound.
you can select tube or solid state in the preamp, EQ and Compressor.
The sound is really great.

http://www.mil-media.com/docs/products/origin.shtml

Also I heard that Aphex have a great mic pre. Aphex 230 voice master
http://www.aphex.com/230.htm

as a mic I will use a Charter Oak mic, not only because the sound is amazing but also because u will use that mic so often that the lifetime warranty is just a great plus.

Peace.

Reuven Amiel

"There are no rules, just knowledge, good taste and experimentation"

"Music was designed to escape from reality for a moment, not to magnify our fears and problems"
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Jai guru deva om

The Safe Sound Audio P1 is a great box for singing, speech, screaming, instruments...anything you want a clean preamp with clean expansion / compression / limiting also. Really an amazing box in any vocal application.

War

26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
the millennia HV-3 series is great because it is boring and surgically precision clean..or sterile.. Doesnt add anything or take away..just shows off the voice. thumbsup my millennias live on vocals.

http://www.last.fm/user/TeddyBullard/
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
The application is a mock job of a modern radio jockey on an oldies radio station. So I'm trying to mimic what a modern radio station would do.

I guess it might also depend on his voice?? I just know that radio stations tend to compress the hell out of eveything.
Well, you could go for something as simple as an RE20 or SM7. Those are the most widely used on air mics in radio. I prefer the 7 over the 20, but it doesn't really matter for this application. However...if he's most comfortable with one then by all means use it.

As far as what he hears in his cans...you may have to send him a feed that has a boatload of compression on it...it might be what he's used to hearing. Ask him...I'm sure he'll be more than accomodating.
soupking
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear

Sounds like a healthy round of perspective fellas. Thanks! Man this site kicks ass.
27th October 2006
Old 27th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The Safe Sound Audio P1 is a great box for singing, speech, screaming, instruments...anything you want a clean preamp with clean expansion / compression / limiting also. Really an amazing box in any vocal application.

War
i had a chance to check it out.... thumbs up. Great piece of gear.
Led
27th October 2006
Old 27th October 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Most of the post studios over here that I know are using LDC mics and transformerless class A pres.
27th October 2006
Old 27th October 2006
Lives for gear

The Avalon vt-737 is great for VO work...
28th October 2006
Old 28th October 2006
Gear maniac

Clients are lovin the U87 into an Avalon M5. Real clean.
28th October 2006
Old 28th October 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I do alot of VO recording for a living and have used a TON of gear...For years I have used the Avalon 737 which is standard in alot of Post places here in L.A. But in the past couple years I have tried numerous Mic and Preamp to get that "Magical Sound". Here is what I have found to be the "best" to my ears

Mics.. BLUE Kiwi & Neumann TLM49

Pre's Martech MSS-10, Millennia M3V and my newest (and will be the final choice for V.O. recording for years to come in my studio).. The Manley Slam!

I think the BLUE Kiwi or Neumann TLM49 into the SLAM! with a little elop Compression from the SLAM! is just FABULOUS on V.O. I might have found my "magical" combo..

Rob
28th October 2006
Old 28th October 2006
Lives for gear

This might be a very un-GS thing to say, but I think if you have an RE20 or U87 virtually any pre will prove suitable for VO. It's not a medium as dependent upon or influenced by subtle colorations as, say, pop music. My opinion anyway.
28th October 2006
Old 28th October 2006
Lives for gear

this may sound crazy but....

rode k2 or ntk
chandler tg channel
distressor.

probably the only time i actually like a distressor on vox.

avalon 737 works well to

ej
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search