best way to eliminate room tone from VO
vudoo
22nd November 2003
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

best way to eliminate room tone from VO

Hi all,

I'm mixing a voice over recording that has too much room tone. What's the best way to eliminate as much room tone as possible so i'm basically left with direct mic sound only. Thanks
22nd November 2003
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

First off, most of my experience with this type of thing is with interludes on records, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Rolling off unnecessary low end will help. There are several plug in's that can fix this better than any hardware unit can (post low end roll off). Dehum and BNR come to mind and are very effective tools. When you use these plug in's, pay a lot of attention to your top end on the VO track. They get mp3-sounding when you go overboard. Try to check the room tone in several different sections when you do the 'learn' functions (when you tell BNR to analyze the hum or tone you are trying to get rid of). If there are a lot of overdubs and punches (with meal breaks, etc) sometimes this will change for several reasons such as, a/c kicking in at different times of the day, someone moving a gobo to move around them, etc. Best of luck.
22nd November 2003
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Try an expander. Mess with the settings as to find that threshold between room reverberations and VO. I rarely ever find reasons to use expanders (gates not withstanding). Although the transient designer is one of the coolest pieces of gear I've ever seen. Same principle goin' on........
23rd November 2003
Old 23rd November 2003
Gear nut

I've found the waves C1 in split mode can be great for this...you can really hone in on a offending frequency and suck it out in between the dialog...also for AC noise try the waves restoration XHUM...

if there are fluctuations in room tone between edits or drop outs I find it helps to sample a stable piece of room tone and lay it underneath everything... keep in mind that some room noise is natural and without it things tend to sound very sterile...When I get ADR for film projects, I end up adding room noise all over the place because otherwise it sounds completely fake... room noise foley...
23rd November 2003
Old 23rd November 2003
Gear Guru

One box, TC DB MAX.
23rd November 2003
Old 23rd November 2003
Gear Head

Wave Restoration X-Noise. Quite efficient and transparent when not overly used.
24th November 2003
Old 24th November 2003
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

First you need to excplain what you mean with roomtone.
If it is the reverb of the room you are talking about, or sctusl camera/ac noise.

How bad is it. If it's narration/voice-over, you're kinnda screwed if it's roomnoise/ac. If it's location sound, at least you can mask it.

We use the TCsystem6000 backdrop plug-in which is amazing. Oneof the other faculities I work at use a cat 43, combined with various types of EQ and the expander on the Euphonics system5 console.
25th November 2003
Old 25th November 2003
Lives for gear

I've had great results using an SPL Transient Designer for this purpose.
25th November 2003
Old 25th November 2003
Lives for gear

on drums too !!
26th November 2003
Old 26th November 2003
Gear nut

there is a vst plugin called dominion that probably would do nicely. it _sort of_ works like the spl transient designer.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search