APOGEE AD16X VS. AURORA 16 VS. MYTEK 8X96
New Reply
Subscribe
univox1
8th October 2006
Old 8th October 2006
Gear interested

APOGEE AD16X VS. AURORA 16 VS. MYTEK 8X96

Im putting together a new hd rig and im looking for the best chioce in convertors. any thoughts about the apogee ad16x vs. the aurora 16. i have a mytek 8x96 now. but theres no dirrect connection to protools hd.

thanx mp
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006

The Apogee AD16X has a better clock (the Big Ben) over Aurora. This is a fact. In regards to sound, they are both very good. The Apogee has a soft limiter which is nice and USB port to go into your computer. Lynx is suppose to have that by the end of the year as well. Aurora is a little more neutral and Apogee has a nice even sound on bass, mid's and high's.
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by univox1 View Post
Im putting together a new hd rig and im looking for the best chioce in convertors. any thoughts about the apogee ad16x vs. the aurora 16. i have a mytek 8x96 now. but theres no dirrect connection to protools hd.

thanx mp
Just an FYI, our new 8x192 converter has a direct connection to PTHD. Thanks.
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
The Apogee AD16X has a better clock (the Big Ben) over Aurora.
I have never compared them side by side but on a purely technical note, Lynx Syncrolock is supposed to have a better jitter rating than Big Ben.

If you are stepping outside the Digidesign realm of convertors I really like the fact that the Aurora's come with ADC built in. All of the other third party convertors require manually adjusted ADC.

When you start getting into sound differences between Digital convertors you are talking about very obscure and subjective subtelties that very few people can consistently pick out. Each of the convertors you mentioned would allow you to do a great job. It is really just a matter of features after that (IMHO).

Good Luck!

"I do use compressors/limiters but not for controlling dynamics, I use EQ for that!" Jp22 (damn I miss him)

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -- Will Durant, historian (1885-1981)

"I try to get a boom out of the bass drum, in one of my albums, my CD, boom, I try to get that big boom, I could not get a big boom, I paid bucks, and could not get the boom" - Recording Expert, Tad Donley
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
Lives for gear

At that level... they are all excellent, and it is very subjective. For what it's worth... I tried all 3 (and a few others) and my very favorite was the UA 2192, and after that... the Lynx Auroras. The 2192 was not a suprise... but the Auroras were!

I do mostly rock and pop stuff. I have been a happy owner of a 2192 and 32 channels of the Auroras for quite a while now.
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

I have the Aurora synced to a isochrone. I like it better for tracking than my Lavry Blue which I use at mixdown.
Says a lot about the Aurora.
But I bet all three that were mentioned in the original thread are great.
Probably mic placement and other issues are more critical!
univox1
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus View Post
Just an FYI, our new 8x192 converter has a direct connection to PTHD. Thanks.
i kinda mad at mytek. i bought a 8x96 a few years. i was told it would soon have a direct connection to mix plus and hd. and now im told they dropped it to build a whole new unit. i wouldnt have bought it if i new it wasnt going to be supported.

mp
univox1
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
The Apogee AD16X has a better clock (the Big Ben) over Aurora. This is a fact. In regards to sound, they are both very good. The Apogee has a soft limiter which is nice and USB port to go into your computer. Lynx is suppose to have that by the end of the year as well. Aurora is a little more neutral and Apogee has a nice even sound on bass, mid's and high's.
i have heard the apogee sounds more like analog tape.??? that might be nice to hear these days.

mp
AB3
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

I do not want to put down Mytek because it is hard to be a boutique company. BUT I will say this about Lynx, I have been buying from them since 1999 and I have called them quite often with questions, etc. and have always had the very best service of any company. Sometimes purchases is like "voting" and I like to buy from good people like the Lynx folks, A Designs, etc.

Quote:
i kinda mad at mytek. i bought a 8x96 a few years. i was told it would soon have a direct connection to mix plus and hd. and now im told they dropped it to build a whole new unit. i wouldnt have bought it if i new it wasnt going to be supported.

mp
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
i have heard the apogee sounds more like analog tape.??? that might be nice to hear these days.

mp

I wouldn´t say that about the apo´s maybe my old PSX which I use for bass and vocal trackin but not the actual stuff. When I read your words I direct think in Prism.

rock producer

www.myspace.com/inakillarena
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

mp
I feel your pain. I was in a similar situation a few years ago - a synth I bought was supposed to have a digital I/O option, but it never materialized. It can be pretty annoying when it happens. It's often very tempting to buy equipment based on features that are not currently implemented, but which are promised sometime in the near future. I wish it was something I could avoid, although I'm currently keeping my fingers crossed that nothing gets in the way of release of the FireWire option for the Aurora. I wouldn't have bought my Aurora if had not been for the proposed FireWire option.
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
member no 666

Quote:
...and I've heard more varied sounds/textures from tape than I've heard from converters and clocks so while I'm sure that statement stands true for someone my question would be "which forumulation? on what machine? at what EQ curve?, what bias?, what level? from what batch"?

All analog tape doesn't sound the same and all black folks don't dig chicken... if you catch my drift.

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
AB3
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
AB3
Lives for gear

I wonder what the wow and flutter spec is?

Quote:

mp
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

mp
I compared the AD16x to the Mytek converting program material from 1/2" tape. The Mytek preserved much more of the punch and depth of field of the original tape signal. It wasn't subtle.

I would suggest you will be taking a step down in quality by giving up those Myteks.

Majestic Music Factory: Studio / Label
Majestic Music Mastering
Twitter: @MajesticMusicNY
9th October 2006
Old 9th October 2006
Gear interested

Noisey Units?

Here's am interesting question I'd never thought to ask:

Does the unitl itself make any noise?

I just got Mytek 8x192 ADDA and when I plugged it in I was suprised to hear a high pitched sound eminating from it. I saw that there was a fan in there when I added my ADAT card. It is by far the loudest thing in the studio and I can not stand it (it sounds a bit like an old hard drive, before the quiet ones came out).

Do other brands (Aurora/ Apogee) make noise??
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Gear nut

I recently compared the Mytek to the Apogee ad16x and I found the Apogees to be very colored, if you enjoy eq-ing things to death to get them to cut get the Apogee 16, although the Myteks won out in a big way they do have a very slight coldness clinical sound to them but more times than not I would describe them as truthfull. For cutting rock drums the Apogees would be awesome but that's probably all I would use them for. Look forward to hearing the Aurora 16 I'm hoping it's a kind of in between sound, plus great price.
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by llarena View Post
...... When I read your words I direct think in Prism.
As such, we aim to reproduce as acurately as possible the original sound without any 'coloration'. Then you have a clean slate to use and abuse, color, distort and mess with the sound to your heart's content, always being able to go back to the original and natural sound.

Some people like our Over-Killers on the ADA-8XR (and available separately) as they say it creates a sound 'similar' to tape saturation. (The real purpose is for higher level recording with a safety net)

Thank you
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
The Apogee AD16X has a better clock (the Big Ben) over Aurora. This is a fact.
I don't believe that this is true. I have done a bunch of tests on the clocks of the Big Ben and the Aurora internal clock as well as a Nanosyncs. I concluded from my null tests that there was no measureable difference between the Aurora and the Big Ben. The Nanosyncs was a small step down from the others. I could not hear a difference (blind listening) between the three.
Also the Syncrolock clock in the Aurora has lower jitter ratings.
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
mytek 8x192 thumbsup
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

THE conclusion: NO CONCLUSION

If I get what I've read above, no one can really say one is particualrly beter than the other.

Hmmm...

-a
10th October 2006
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard View Post
mytek 8x192 thumbsup

mytek 8x192
11th October 2006
Old 11th October 2006
Gear addict

I love the AD and DA16X, closest converters to source I have ever heard. The Myteks are good too, but the Apogees have better low mids and do a better job replicating the source....Try blind listening tests to make any determinations.
11th October 2006
Old 11th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Apogee AD16X has a better clock (the Big Ben) over Aurora. This is a fact.

This comes from Fletcher's initial mini-review of the Aurora. Revelation is just passing on information he has heard about on the internet rather than from any real-life experience.

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra
11th October 2006
Old 11th October 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix View Post
This comes from Fletcher's initial mini-review of the Aurora. Revelation is just passing on information he has heard about on the internet rather than from any real-life experience.
Thanks DH

Yeah a industry standard $1,200 clock is not going to be better than a $1,800 8 channel Aurora A/D D/A with a clock thrown in. (SMILE) Hence I am not saying the Lynx clock is bad mind you.

" Any system that has to extract and regenerate a clock signal relies on some form of Phase Locked Loop (PLL). However, extracting a precise clock requires a rather inflexible PLL, unable to track widely varying source clock rates, while a more flexible PLL cannot exclude jitter artefacts very well.
Some systems try to overcome these inherent difficulties by using multiple stages of progressively more precise PLLs, but Apogee have taken a different approach with their latest clock technology, code-named C777. This is an entirely digital process (instead of the analogue or hybrid analogue/digital approaches more usually employed) which uses Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS) technology to generate the required clock frequency — allegedly with immeasurable jitter. When synchronised to an external reference clock, DSP-based adaptive digital filtering is used to condition the source clock, and the combination is claimed to provide the most effective jitter reduction available. In theory, even poor sources with excessive jitter can be used as a master clock, and the de-jittered signal can even be passed on to other equipment."(Sound on Sound Aug. 2005 review of the Big Ben.)

Big Ben also has a lock narrow and lock wide which aid in different situations, as well as a variable speed overide option.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search