MOGAMI MIC CABLE QUESTION!!!
Old 24th September 2006
Gear addict

MOGAMI MIC CABLE QUESTION!!!

Slutz, which model of MOGAMI Microphone cables would you consider the best one!? I need approx. 300 meters for our studio! The price is not a problem, I'm asking which exact model is THE BEST!!! I don't need money/quality proportion...

Thanks. I'm in the rush... Please help quickly! Cheeeeerrrsssss...
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Just going from memory, but I believe it's called "studio quad"

ERic
Old 25th September 2006
Motown legend

Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know if there is any one cable that is always the best for every situation. Quad style cable is supposed to have better noise rejection but standard cable is supposed to have better high frequency responce. And I've read that many people prefer the Mogami's W3080 AES/EBU cable for everything, digital and analog.

From Mogami's site :

Quad W2534

Mogami Neglex quad cable is perfect cable for home studios suffering from wiring and grounding problems. Mogami 2534 should also be used where intense RFI interference is a problem. Mogami 2534 provides an improvement in signal to noise of 10-20db over equivalent twisted pair cables. Double conductors quad cables are more effective in canceling noise that can get past even the best of shields and is critical in an environment of high RF and EM interference.

Standard W2549:
W2549 has been designed using our famous Neglex OFC to provide the highest quality audio reproduction in any recording application. It features #22AWG conductors and extremely low capacitance. The 100% coverage served shield and twisted pair construction is excellent at preventing noise caused by electromagnetic interference. This cable is recommended when extended high frequencies are important or where long cable runs may be needed.

And I've read only positive reviews of Gotham cable so if you have the money, I'd follow Bob's advice.

My studio is wired with W2549 and I love it.
Old 25th September 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
...http://www.gotham.ch/gac/datsheet/gac_3.htm

This was the standard high-end mike cable for years and I'm really not sure anything is better...
Bob, can that be right about Gotham GAC-3? That cable's diagram shows PVC insulation right at the conductors, yet capacitance looks good...is it a typo on their diagram? Thanks
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Who really has interference problems in short cable runs anyway? I think he said he needs 300 metres "of" cable, not a run of that?

hokay, I started using Nagamimi quadflex-core-tripod-duo-nex for all long runs, and tigimimi ford-cord-triflex- chevy-sinquinto-wrap-x33 for interconnects under 4 feet.. They work fine!

Or maybe it was something else, man I cant remember...
Old 25th September 2006
Gear addict

[QUOTE=ImJohn;892983]And I've read that many people prefer the Mogami's W3080 AES/EBU cable for everything, digital and analog.

Where? i have over 50 meters left. I was told that it is not suitable for microphone levels because of different impendance and shielding!?
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=gregor z;893433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
And I've read that many people prefer the Mogami's W3080 AES/EBU cable for everything, digital and analog.

Where? i have over 50 meters left. I was told that it is not suitable for microphone levels because of different impendance and shielding!?

Here's one thread (look for squeezybug's post):
http://gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ighlight=W3080

If you search around there are more.
Old 25th September 2006
I wired everything in my studio (outboard to patchbay/mic cables/active monitors/etc) with Mogami 2549 and Neutrik connectors and it works great.
The 8 and 16ch snakes and TT cables are Mogami too.

One more thing NOT to worry about!

I don't see any reason to go for Quad cable unless you run VERY long cable lines.
Old 25th September 2006
Gear nut

model 2549 is the top of the line neglex mic cable.
however, i do think gotham cable is better overall.
Old 25th September 2006
Gear addict

Ok, guys. Thanks. But look. I don't need MOGAMI or whatever for wiring the whole studio. We have original multicores with SSL, Mosses patchbays etc. I need 300 meters in total, but only for MIC wiring- from vocal booth/studio to control room, for all the mics. blah, blah...

So, again! The question was- WHICH MODEL OF MOGAMI MIC CABLE IS THE BEST ONE! Thanks for Gotham info, I heard vovox ARE GREAT CABLES, TOO......

CHEERS!
Old 25th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by perun View Post
So, again! The question was- WHICH MODEL OF MOGAMI MIC CABLE IS THE BEST ONE! Thanks for Gotham info, I heard vovox ARE GREAT CABLES, TOO......

GET THE FRIGGIN' 2549 FOR YOUR MIC LINES AND BE DONE WITH IT!
Old 25th September 2006
Gear nut

model 2549 is the straightforward answer. this is the regular 2 conductor plus ground model.

if you have possible noise and interferrence issues with your room, try the quad version, forget the model name, 4 digits.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Gotham Cable! Big sound for smaller pocket.

Or Vovox is a good manufacturer for mic-cables!
Old 25th September 2006
Motown legend

I've done remotes where Monster, Canare and Mogami cables all picked up severe dimmer buzz but the GAC-3 I had rented didn't. It was quite a lesson.

Three conductors has also been known to improve phantom power performance.
Old 25th September 2006
Gear maniac

Re: "...Gotham GAC-3? That cable's diagram shows PVC insulation right at the conductors, yet capacitance looks good..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I've done remotes where Monster, Canare and Mogami cables all picked up severe dimmer buzz but the GAC-3 I had rented didn't. It was quite a lesson.

Three conductors has also been known to improve phantom power performance.
Thanks Bob, I'll dig around to see what's really happening with the insulation. Sam
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search