Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High end (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum.... (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/869502-gyraf-audio-gyratec-xxi-magneto-dynamic-infundibulum.html)

notmyusername 16th September 2013 05:05 PM

Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum....

Gyraf Audio - Gyratec XXI

http://drupal.soundonsound.com/sites...?itok=QtlX9uR_

Received a very favourable review in this months SOS

Product Review - Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum

"The Ultimate Passive Analogue Clipper: G21 Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum..."

Obviously theres not much user feedback whatsoever yet but has anyone got any experience/views on this thing?

I'm looking for another comp but i have just noticed this and this interests me more than the comps i was looking at so im thinking about getting this to Demo before i commit.

gyraf 17th September 2013 01:15 PM

Hi NotYourUserName,

We have been presenting the G21 in the products alert subforum - http://www.gearslutz.com/board/produ...gyraf-g21.html

It could probably take a while before user comments starts coming in: We're running production at max. capacity, and still only finishing on average one G21 a week.

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio

macc 17th September 2013 10:06 PM

Hi all,

As a new Infundibulum owner, Jakob has asked me to make some comments on the unit. I emailed Jakob yesterday to express how happy I am with the unit, and he got back and pointed me here.

I should note that I don't have any affiliation with Gyraf, blah blah - I've had a G14 for 3-4 years and love it, Gyraf have been great when dealing with them, and that's that. I'm posting here out of a desire to help explain a bit about the unit, and hopefully encourage some sales for Jakob as it's something very special. It sounds f#cking GREAT.

I've had the unit for a week, using it every day. Usually with such a complicated unit I'd spend a good while with it before letting it go 'live' on client's masters. That hasn't been the case here, as it's already proved invaluable in a number of cases.

I've included some thoughts I wrote in an email to Jakob below, they may help a bit. Anyone is welcome to ask anything, though I dunno how useful I'll be...

Quote:

Funnily enough, your email arrived while I was in the middle of a VERY troublesome project today. I have to say that the Infundibulum was a star performer. While I could have done the job without, I don't know if it would have been so straightforward, or sounded so good.

The Sound on Sound review had me a bit worried, as I bought the unit before reading it. It said the unit probably isn't much good for electronic stuff; what a load of bollocks. I almost entirely bought the unit for the purpose of controlling poorly eq'd/compressed kick drums, and it has shone in that role so far.

Perhaps it's because I have wanted something like this for ages, but it just feels really easy to use. Yes, things can poke out in other places when you change things, but being gentle (use with caution!), closing your eyes and using bypass regularly makes things pretty straightforward. There's a definite organic method to its madness :)

I should also note that it has completely opened up a multitude of gain staging options i hadn't had before. I use a Dangerous Liaison to switch things, and the chain order never ever made such a huge difference before. So I kind of now have the old chain without the Infundibulum where switching the order made some small differences, and loads of other chains with the Infundibulum that all sound totally different. Really quite staggering, to be honest, that will take a while to get used to...

macc 18th September 2013 12:58 PM

Actually, while using the unit today it struck me. That is, maybe the simplest way to describe what it does in plain terms.

Forgetting the full band clipper - it's a clipper - for now, the simplest way to describe the band clippers is that they can make things disappear, often inaudibly/invisibly.

I had a poky hi hat up around 13k a minute ago. Tune the band with the cut, set to clip, turn the level down and there goes your Hi hat. Not all the air at 13k, only the hi hat. The thing is it's sometimes so 'invisible' that you have to be very very careful not to overdo it.

Similar with those annoying overcooked kicks in electronic stuff (actually the same track) - big warm gorgeous pad, tubby 190Hz-centric kick. Eq out the kick, pad suffers. Use traditional MB/narrow band compression and you have to sort the time constants to make sure you avoid jumpy stuff and get no distortion. With the infundibulum, you tune it, clip, turn it down and the tubby punch just... disappears.

I should note that there are of course limits. I had to take out a LOT of dynamic low end crap in a tune yesterday, down at 60Hz or so (a really dynamic 808-style kick), and some compromises had to be made, spreading the load a bit between eq, MLA3 low band and the Infundibulum. Doing it all with the unit did cause some distortion. But even then, I was very impressed at how little there really was considering the freq range and amount of work. I'm talking up to 12dB or something here. Really remarkable.

The thing about eq is that you take everything out, even when it's only a transient (in the short term/occasional sense) problem. MB/NB comps are similar, but with the time constants causing their own problems. With this, you can just pull that poky problem crap back into the mix, but only when it needs to.

macc 18th September 2013 01:36 PM

Oh, and the sound.

Thing about removing annoying, cluttering, space-occupying rubbish is that when you take the unit out of bypass (when you have it set right!), it sounds like everything just has that much more room, but without just sucking stuff out. This allows everything in a mix that much more room to breathe, and it all just feels easier as a result.

That would be my summation of the sound of the process (at least, the 3 band clippers). When it comes to the sound of the unit itself (as per the usual Gearslutz protocol), well I'd say that it has a rich, classy sound. Smooth, not at all when you might be expecting from a device labelled as a clipper. Obviously the sound of the process and the unit are sort of indivisible, but I thought making a false distinction might be useful.

Sorry being a bit brief but I'm typing on my phone as the thoughts strike me :)

notmyusername 18th September 2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc (Post 9433212)

Sorry being a bit brief but I'm typing on my phone as the thoughts strike me :)

that wasn't brief, thanks for the in depth review.kfhkh

Im still interested in this. I had to commit already to 2 cheaper but more versatile comps, but i would love to give this a try. Dont think i could fit it in here now as im "full-up", but if it proved a must-have then i could easily make room for it.

I too was put off abit by the SOS review part that stated it wasnt very suited to electronic. The rest of the review was great though. Ease/quickness of use is important but i aslo like the idea of a more experimental unit. Also i liked the audio demos i heard, and i didnt understand why this wouldnt be useful with electronic music. You verifying that has made me much interested in taking this thing for a test drive.

Technically im at the end of my buget so i hope i hate it gooof

Looks great btw Jakob and good to see something a little different on the market!

scorpix74 20th September 2013 09:44 PM

Who buy me one?

notmyusername 21st September 2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpix74 (Post 9439894)
Who buy me one?

I've decided i dont want one now

But I will buy one for you instead

scorpix74 21st September 2013 09:16 AM

That's so kind, I can pay for shiping to France if you want :)

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk

airmate 21st September 2013 10:07 AM

Guys, it's great that the word seems to spread – this is a beautiful piece of gear!

I though I'd chime in here... I'm the author of the SOS review. I find it interesting that different people come to different results with the G21. But probably that's totally normal, as with any piece of gear. Over the course of my review I have talked to a few other people with good experience with the G21, and some of them liked the unit for electronic music as well. So ultimately it comes down to this: It really depends on your tastes and working methods (and your alternatives) if you can make something work in a given environment. I stand by everything I said in the review, but even though I try to be as objective as possible when reviewing equipment it's no surprise at all that other people may come to different conclusions.

I have to say though that I have a lot of experience mixing EDM (I think the reference list on my website really speaks for itself...), and I really tried to make the G21 work for me for that part of my daily work, as I am really fond of what it can do for me working on other genres.

But that being said, my working methods might be considered a bit unusual at times. I rarely ever use mix buss processing when mixing EDM, I don't like multiband compressors all that much, I always (re-)tune the drums before I even start to touch EQs and I have never, ever been using sidechain compression as a tool to make room for bass drum and bass (because I am employing other, less obtrusive and – for me – better means instead).

What I am trying to say is that my statement about the G21 and EDM doesn't come out of nowhere at all, but to me it's totally obvious that other engineers may come to different conclusions – that's the very nature of our work.

So please take my statements with a grain of salt and try the G21 out for yourself. And if you like it for EDM work – fine, I'm happy for you! heh

Ben F 21st September 2013 11:27 AM

Air mate, I bought the review, it was very informative, and I was happy to see some inside pictures. It gave a better understanding about the technical aspects of how it works. Such an excellent magazine, really the only one I trust in terms of opinion.

airmate 21st September 2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben F (Post 9441075)
Air mate, I bought the review, it was very informative, and I was happy to see some inside pictures. It gave a better understanding about the technical aspects of how it works. Such an excellent magazine, really the only one I trust in terms of opinion.

Ben F, thanks for the kind words!

I forgot to say that I am happy to dicuss the review (and all other aspects of the G21) here. So feel free to ask if you have any questions...

William Bowden 25th September 2013 02:28 PM

What sort of insertion loss are we talking with the G21.

I like the concept, a lot.

King Willy

gyraf 25th September 2013 02:46 PM

G21 insertion loss depends a bit on the output impedance of the previous (driving) unit - but on average I see losses between 1.5dB and 3dB (unit IN, no clipping). Not really problematic in most setups.

Jakob E.

William Bowden 25th September 2013 04:12 PM

Is the unit transformer isolated as well? oops just downloaded the manual - sorry.

Nothing to see, move along!

Though I am curious about the Tube biasing extension, if you care to give us any crumbs...

notmyusername 25th September 2013 06:37 PM

good to see some update on this. Still intrigued by it...

macc 27th September 2013 11:28 AM

I just came in here to post again after another week or so with the unit, to express how much I am enjoying it.

The period since my last post here has been the most intense of my (comparatively short) career, and the GXXI has made coping with the workload easier than it might have been. Such a wonderful box. I'll write more when I have some time, but I am totally in love with it.

Insertion loss: I have the G14 before it in most cases, and I see about 2.5dB or so.

I also really want to apologise to airmate - my language was crass (see above about work pressure) but I meant no disrespect. The review was great, perhaps I was just keen to show support for the unit in an electronic music mastering context. My apologies. FWIW I share your views on drums, sidechaining and the like 100%!

Back to work...

airmate 27th September 2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc (Post 9457852)
I just came in here to post again after another week or so with the unit, to express how much I am enjoying it.

The period since my last post here has been the most intense of my (comparatively short) career, and the GXXI has made coping with the workload easier than it might have been. Such a wonderful box. I'll write more when I have some time, but I am totally in love with it.

Insertion loss: I have the G14 before it in most cases, and I see about 2.5dB or so.

I also really want to apologise to airmate - my language was crass (see above about work pressure) but I meant no disrespect. The review was great, perhaps I was just keen to show support for the unit in an electronic music mastering context. My apologies. FWIW I share your views on drums, sidechaining and the like 100%!

Back to work...

Thanks, much appreciated! I'm glad you enjoy working with the G21 so much...

kafka 28th September 2013 12:18 AM

Sound clips or it didn't happen ...

gyraf 30th September 2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kafka (Post 9459589)
Sound clips or it didn't happen ...

Sound on Sound mag example files:Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum | Media

Emil Thomsen's post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emil Thomsen (Post 8943931)

(..)
Here is an example (peak level matched) on a drumloop where I have used the mid frequency-selective clipper only (in parametric mode), removing some low mid resonance (overall clipper is out).

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...muchlowmid.wav
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...eq-clipped.wav

And:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emil Thomsen (Post 9006914)
The G21 can be 'pushed' in so many different ways, that is the very nature of the design.

Here is an example of the G21 working with a hot input level using all three clipping bands (mid band on shelving mode) and the overall clipper.

Only processing is G21 and dBFS level matching.

The sample switches between original and G21 every six seconds beginning with the original.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...rig-hotg21.wav

And:
Quote:

Originally Posted by gyraf (Post 8905283)
(...)

An example of a song that got varying amounts of G21 on every single track and the mix is Marybell Katastrophy's version of Libertine's "The Boy Looked At Johnny":

The Boy Looked At Johnny (The Libertines covered by Marybell Katastrophy), NME Magazine tribute - YouTube

Yes, it's kinda rough, but NME only gave them 24hours total for arranging, recording, mixing and mastering..

kafka 30th September 2013 11:25 PM

Cool. Thanks.

Herc 19th February 2014 11:14 PM

Bump - more comments from users?

polybonk 4th March 2014 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc (Post 9457852)

Just wondering how the love affair is going after a few months now Macc?

gyraf 17th March 2014 03:02 PM

Full SOS review now publicly available: Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum

Jakob E.

Babaluma 17th March 2014 05:24 PM

macc, any more to add, after having it for a longer period? it has definitely piqued my interest!

kafka 1st April 2014 01:13 AM

Definitely an interesting box. I guess you have to get your hands on it to really get a feel for what it is. It sounds fascinating, though.

Babaluma 1st April 2014 08:20 AM

I'm saving up for one, next on list...

priko 1st April 2014 08:40 AM

I'm actually experimenting the G21.
It's a complete innovative box which demands a lot care and practice. Learning the levels at which you should works with, the curves, the different functions.
It's unique. Very easy to mistake and overload but once you have found your spot, it's absolutely incredible how it can bring clarity, warmth, punch, loudness... no other machine in my experience can manage that. Of course, it's not for all kind of music...
I will write more when I have more praticed.

William Bowden 6th April 2014 05:47 AM

Any other users care to comment. Looks like Polybonk is thinking about one...