Login / Register

So what is the best cloned 1073 out there that gives the original a real run?
New Reply
Subscribe
Dizzy
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

So what is the best cloned 1073 out there that gives the original a real run?

Long time Avalon 737 owner and am looking to acquire that more musically coloured sound with an additional preamp, especially since that's what current hip hop records seem to all be running through as well and I track a lot of hip hop artists.

I should mention that the primary mic for running vocals through is the U87.

I was pretty set with the BAE 1073mp, but after a little more searching around it seems like there's tons of options.

X73i by Vintech
7602 by Chameleon (fully modded by Zen Pro)
Neve's 1073lb
Neve's 1073dpa (is this worth the extra 2 grand over the LB version?)

Another option I've seen is the Avedis MA5, but I'm a little worried that the combination of a U87 through it might be too 'bright'.

I'm sure there are others worth mentioning as well, so I'm hoping you guys can shed some light and experience with all of these and can come to some verdicts of which one really stands up true to an original 1073.

Thanks in advance guys.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

I'm gonna say the BAE stuff. (If you're trying to get as close as possible)

They use silver soldier like the originals...it's all original parts aside from a couple things that the EPA made illegal in the 70's. It's as close to the real thing as you can get.

The AML_EZ 1073 is my next choice, they're designed by the guy who supplies parts for companies like BAE anyway, and budget conscious, all the main guts are there at least.

My pick would be a pair of AML_EZ 1073's since they have EQ, or a Great River MP-2NV though (which is not a clone, but related in ways.), the GR and the EQ are invaluable to me and I own original vintage Neves.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Very much appreciate your feedback.

So my original gut seems to be the best bet if I'm looking for as close to the original 1073 sound as can get.

I guess to curveball it a bit, do any of the others 'better' the 1073 sound in any ways?

I used to own a Great River ME-1NV, I liked it at the time but at that time I didn't own the U87 - was working that through a KSM44.

Really looking for that 1073 sound with the added fattening/thickening of a sound but silky smooth at the same time if you catch my drift.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
www.circlestudios.co.uk

Love the AML EZ1073. The Heritage unit is also getting great feedback though I haven't personally heard it yet.

Machiavelli's Guide To the Music Industry: http://www.supajam.com/blog/l/Machia...Music-Industry
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Very much appreciate your feedback.

So my original gut seems to be the best bet if I'm looking for as close to the original 1073 sound as can get.

I guess to curveball it a bit, do any of the others 'better' the 1073 sound in any ways?

I used to own a Great River ME-1NV, I liked it at the time but at that time I didn't own the U87 - was working that through a KSM44.

Really looking for that 1073 sound with the added fattening/thickening of a sound but silky smooth at the same time if you catch my drift.
GR is fantastic, but it's not a Neve, it's it's own thing. On some sources it's better on others it's different but maybe I'd choose my Neves over the GR on some sources, but it all depends.

I like owning both...but I'd pick the GR first because I own an EQ-2NV...and that EQ is stellar.

Also for tracking bands I like having four of both, but eight of one or the other would do the same job about right.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

The Slate Pro Audio FOX has a Neve 1073 clone in one of it's circuits. Seemed to do well when we did a shootout at Blackbird in Nashville. Hope you can check it out. The others you mentioned are all great preamps.

Cheers,
Steven

www.slatedigital.com
www.stevenslatedrums.com
www.slateproaudio.com
SLATE SUPPORT:
www.slatedigital.com/support

I DO NOT CHECK PM's! Please EMAIL ME instead NON TECH SUPPORT Questions to slate@stevenslate.com

Follow us @ www.twitter.com/slateproaudio
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

I own a pair of AMS 1084s and a pair of 1073s. I'm about to build a pair of EZ1073s for fun, I can't comment on how they sound since I've never heard the EZ1073 until I build it! I've read great things about the Vintech73i until I watched it shootout with a vintage 1073 on the soundpure video on YouTube. The difference was so massive I'm completely turned off the Vintechs. I used to own a avalon737 and sold it, it just sounds extremely sterile to me especially paired with a u87 so you're gonna hear a huge difference once you get a 1073 in there for sure
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
The Slate Pro Audio FOX has a Neve 1073 clone in one of it's circuits. Seemed to do well when we did a shootout at Blackbird in Nashville. Hope you can check it out. The others you mentioned are all great preamps.

Cheers,
Steven
Hey Steven, I mentioned you in the Lexicon PCM42 thread...dunno if you saw, but if you have a minute, the post I made was sincere, I think someone like you could model the "sound" of that sort of thing and really pull it off.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

Dizzy
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rash View Post
I own a pair of AMS 1084s and a pair of 1073s. I'm about to build a pair of EZ1073s for fun, I can't comment on how they sound since I've never heard the EZ1073 until I build it! I've read great things about the Vintech73i until I watched it shootout with a vintage 1073 on the soundpure video on YouTube. The difference was so massive I'm completely turned off the Vintechs. I used to own a avalon737 and sold it, it just sounds extremely sterile to me especially paired with a u87 so you're gonna hear a huge difference once you get a 1073 in there for sure
Glad I'm looking in the right direction as far as pairing this mic with then, excited to hear the difference.

I was actually just watching this shootout and to my ear they were fairly close, maybe I'll have to DL/request the WAV files for that shootout.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Glad I'm looking in the right direction as far as pairing this mic with then, excited to hear the difference.

I was actually just watching this shootout and to my ear they were fairly close, maybe I'll have to DL/request the WAV files for that shootout.
I think that video pretty much speaks for itself.

Sent from my LG-E970
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to GeneHall
Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Just auditioned this box alongside the 1073n, Wunder peq2(?), Vintech x73, daking ( which we already 1 channel of), the millenia ( zzzz..) The FOX by Slate was incredibly flexible, full sounding, unique signatory pallete of possibilities and if memory serves me, 2 channels of serious front end tools for less than the price of one channel of well branded pre's. I went in looking for a go to channel and stumbled across this box, excellent build, great price..the front panel has more options than you can shake a stick at but the tonal and sonic opportunities seemed endless. The Daking is still a favourite of mine and a channel of proper Neve 1073 is a must have, the Vintech and others fell off the radar after running the Slate Fox . The price point is amazing considering what ally gets you.
The Fox box led me to the compressor room.....I'm getting me a Dragon!...lovely kit Steve mate, what a remarkable splendid experience acquainting ourselves with your gear. Delicious. My only discernment is no pull lock/unlock switch for the +48v function...., when I plugged the patch bay to run the Fox, someone had engaged both phantoms ..., thanks for building this unit, those who have not heard it, go listen and do yourself a favour hey:D !! Be well
Sent from my XT925
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear nut

The revive audio M73 is very nice! I will be posting up clips soon
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
I'm planning on demoing the Fox back to back with an AMS Neve 1073 from Audio Chocolate over here....also have a pair of GAP73s to compare....should be interesting!

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

get the heritage, pop some vintage transformers into it and there ya go
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear Guru

Send a message via AIM to Kenny Gioia
The Brent Averill stuff is spot on IMHO.

I'm sure that there's a ton of stuff that is great as well but you won't go wrong with the BAE stuff. Top notch.

The Chandler stuff is great as well.

And it will be night and day compared to your Avalon.

I had an Avalon and it was great for certain things (R&B) but awful for others. Rock guitars for one.

Good luck.

25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear nut

None of them are in the ballpark. Neither are the originals. ;-) Every shootout picks a new favorite and I'll be damned if the mislabeled 1073 in a shootout that was really a chameleon labs didn't "blow the others away", according to popular vote.

Having owned a real 1073 and a lot of the others, I'd say they're all really pretty good. Buy vintage if you want it to sound vintage. If I wanted a two channel pre right now I'd probably try the Fox too, to be perfectly honest.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRec View Post
None of them are in the ballpark. Neither are the originals. ;-) Every shootout picks a new favorite and I'll be damned if the mislabeled 1073 in a shootout that was really a chameleon labs didn't "blow the others away", according to popular vote.

Having owned a real 1073 and a lot of the others, I'd say they're all really pretty good. Buy vintage if you want it to sound vintage. If I wanted a two channel pre right now I'd probably try the Fox too, to be perfectly honest.
I did my own little shootout this weekend with JJ audio greyhound, revive audio M73 and CL 7602 zenpro modded, had the eq cut out. To my ears the CL sounded harsh and cheap by comparison. I still think the CL is a great piece but the M73 is much closer to neve sound I heard in clip. If someone could loan me a 1073 I can do a proper shootout e.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I'm gonna say the BAE stuff. (If you're trying to get as close as possible)

They use silver soldier like the originals...it's all original parts aside from a couple things that the EPA made illegal in the 70's. It's as close to the real thing as you can get.
Hi

This is my second try to correct an untruth....

Neve did not use silver solder during the 14+ years I worked there.

They used bog standard 60/40 Lead/Tin Multicore brand solder.

Mark makes great gear but let's not go over the top with false information!

See us on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/auroraaudio
http://www.auroraaudio.net/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...off-tanner.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Window-Past-Ge...8737082&sr=1-9
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com

For quicker responses, please use my email (Geoff at auroraaudio.net) in preference to pm's and visitor messages!
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

This is my second try to correct an untruth....

Neve did not use silver solder during the 14+ years I worked there.

They used bog standard 60/40 Lead/Resin Multicore brand solder.

Mark makes great gear but let's not go over the top with false information!

Really?!?!

Huh...so the silver soldier bit is just marketing hype on the part of BAE?
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really?!?!

Huh...so the silver soldier bit is just marketing hype on the part of BAE?
Hi

I have no idea...

I am just putting the record straight.

25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

I can't tell you which of the 1073 clones is the closest... I'm sure the BAE stuff is good as I've heard material recorded through them, and I've heard several original 1073's and 1066's, and even those sounded a bit different to my ears.

What I can tell you is that none of these slight variations change one's ability to make great music.

And I'll tell you that while I've enjoyed hearing/using the originals, the MA5's, the 1073LB, several Vintech units, and especially my Aurora GTQ-2 MK3 work just fine. Not to plug it, but to make a point: the GTQ is probably the closest to a true "Neve" variety that I own, due to Geoff's Neve OCD, and personally, I never feel like I'm missing anything.

Not missing anything due to a preamp, anyway! =)
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

I have no idea...

Yeah, but Geoff, at what altitude, temperature, and relative humidity were the solderings performed on the original 1073's? And were the technicians left or right-handed? And did any of the technicians eat guacamole within 24 hours before their shift?

You're just not being specific enough! =)
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Hi

I have no idea...

I'm considering picking up the GTQ2! Is the preamp the exact same as the 1073 with 3 gain stages? Also what are the EQ differences besides less frequencies?
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear Guru

Send a message via AIM to Kenny Gioia
While I haven't personally tried the Aurora stuff, I wouldn't think twice about it.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

I have no idea...

I have seen more than one video on youtube talking about this as if it's an assembly component. It's just interesting, anyway, if you're wondering where this misinformation came from....was there every any silver wiring?
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to GeneHall
Quote:
Hi

I have no idea...

All that aside.....the shop I was auditioning pre's in carries your gear Mr. Tanner..., when I initially called to make a an appointment to demo all these pre's, I was of the understanding your GTQC would be in the rack but ,it had sold before I managed to leave the farm and get into the city..., my hope is, when I go in Tuesday to pick up our purchases, I will have another chance at auditioning your gear..., my gut tells me it is UN Neve box that I want to pair with the 249B >??>Langevin OP >ITB for female singers that truly sing, as an option to the 1073 box..quite excited hear an Aurora roar!!. I did get to hold in my hands the Aurora summing box......, oh yeah!!:D

Sent from my XT925
Dizzy
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

I appreciate all of the responses guys, definitely shaping things up pretty well for me - although I'm still un-decisive, and will probably be for a bit of time. Just got done reading a 10 page MA5 vs X73i thread, 5 of it was two members arguing their butts off

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK View Post
And I'll tell you that while I've enjoyed hearing/using the originals, the MA5's, the 1073LB, several Vintech units, and especially my Aurora GTQ-2 MK3 work just fine.
After reading through that thread stated above, I'm really considering the MA5 as well now too - it's also very budget friendly an opens up opportunity for more budget towards other gear, which is nice. Since you've gotten the chance to use these pieces, how would you rate the MA5? Maybe not as a direct comparison to the 1073, but if it atleast has the hefty characteristic of one but with it's own flavor that can be nice - as any of these clones. Would you say the MA5 has a "silkier" sound to it when running a vocal through it? At the same time making things big (I'm sure any of these will be night and day difference when it comes to being "big" and "thick" in comparison with my Avalon, correct?). If not, would the 1073lb or X73i have more of this type of sound that I'm kind of looking for?
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have seen more than one video on youtube talking about this as if it's an assembly component. It's just interesting, anyway, if you're wondering where this misinformation came from....was there every any silver wiring?
Hi

I never understand this top grade component deal associated with Neve.

They didn't buy components because they were top grade - they bought them because they were cheap and suffered sometimes as a consequence - particularly leaky electrolytic capacitors.

I don't think de-oxygenated copper wire was used until the 8078 predecessor made for Sony in Japan that also had extra thick gold plating on the switches.

This was not the norm.

Posted from my iPhone
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

14 Heritage Audio Modules here, after years and years with all clones possible.
We are sure we will not change them for anything else.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search