500 series must have modules
New Reply
Subscribe
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Man this CAPI hype has to stop... I understand this is the flavor of the month and due to cost it allows more low-end users to rave about how they are the second coming of Jesus but lets get serious for a moment.
Dear syra, your HYPE statement makes no sense to me.

CAPI has been around for a while now, so not really a flavor of the month as perhaps one for the ages (time will undoubtedly tell!)

CAPI is no hype...they are high quality professional 500 series TOOLS!
www.myspace.com/zythumstudios1
http://www.soundclick.com/zythum

"In the ending result, it is really all about the Guitar Solo!"
SoZo
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Are the ELECTRODYNE 501 and Capi VP28 going for the same thing ?
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Man this CAPI hype has to stop... I understand this is the flavor of the month and due to cost it allows more low-end users to rave about how they are the second coming of Jesus but lets get serious for a moment.
While I certainly understand your disdain for uncontrolled hype and hyperbole by some who are excited to get a chance to finally step up to high end gear, the CAPI line is worthy of the accolades. The best thing out there right now IMO. At least in the API focused genre. And the 28 even veers towards a Neve-ish thickness IMO.

I'm afraid that this "hype" will be here long over a month, or even a year. Maybe a decade. But long before then, Jeff will have released his console, and the crowd noise will swell again. The guy has his finger on the pulse of what people want, and delivers it at unbelievable prices. That's a hard ground swell to put down. Well worth the audition if you get a chance....
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Jeff will have released his console, and the crowd noise will swell again. The guy has his finger on the pulse of what people want, and delivers it at unbelievable prices.
The market is demanding large format analog consoles?
Baz
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post

It can hardly,hardly be considered a LFAC......
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
It can hardly,hardly be considered a LFAC......
Exactly. It's a small format, big sound, extremely configurable 500 based design. The market is clamoring for it. No one other than API with the 1608 has really nailed it yet.... Yet...
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
have you used the vp28?
Quote:
Well worth the audition if you get a chance....
I own 2 VP26 with Red Dots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post
CAPI has been around for a while now, so not really a flavor of the month as perhaps one for the ages (time will undoubtedly tell!)
Quote:
I'm afraid that this "hype" will be here long over a month, or even a year. Maybe a decade.
We've all been around GS long enough to know that a single thread can make a brand very popular overnight. Before that thread (you both know what I'm talking about) CAPI had nowhere near the popularity it has now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post
CAPI is no hype...they are high quality professional 500 series TOOLS!
Never said they weren't. Along with another bucket load of 500-series preamps.

Quote:
While I certainly understand your disdain for uncontrolled hype and hyperbole by some who are excited to get a chance to finally step up to high end gear, the CAPI line is worthy of the accolades. The best thing out there right now IMO. At least in the API focused genre.
I colored in red the sentence that's my main issue with the CAPI hype. They are good preamps. Do they have their use as another color in the toolbox? Absolutely. Are they better than 512Cs? If less low end and more brightness is your thing, sure. But best thing ever? On the top 3 must have units? I'm sorry, it's time to let people know the emperor has no clothes.

I'm not trying to go against the tide here. I really like my VP26s on toms. But I need to offer a balanced view for anyone who doesn't have access to a ton of preamps either due to cost or location. For the record: The CAPI stuff is great. It's as good as other 500 series preamps with its own unique color.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are they better than 512Cs? If less low end and more brightness is your thing, sure.
Either your 26's are broken or mine are. My 512's are much brighter and less beef on the bottom.... Weird...
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Either your 26's are broken or mine are. My 512's are much brighter and less beef on the bottom.... Weird...
Maybe it's the Op amps Bill, are you comparing apples to oranges? Is Syra using the same op amp config?

"Guitar Center....
Even the good news is in the moan zone."
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Is Syra using the same op amp config?
Yup. Red Dots. But in my experience, Opamps don't make THAT big of a difference that he is describing. My vp26's are bigger, rounder, more rolled off and more vintagey sounding than my 512's. The 512's are very brash in comparison. vp's = MORE low end and LESS brightness. Exactly the opposite of what Syra described.

Sometimes the 512's are better than the vp26's, but for me personally, working in digital, generally they are not....
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Maybe it's the Op amps Bill, are you comparing apples to oranges? Is Syra using the same op amp config?
According to my tests, the Red Dots are the brightest. The Gar ones are in between the API ones and the Red Dots. I went with the Red Dots cause I wanted to have the most color difference from the 512Cs.

Also another thing people seem to love about the CAPI is the ability to attenuate the output level. I use the little labs attenuator pack after all my 512Cs and it does make a difference since I never pad my 512Cs.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
I never pad my 512Cs.
Nor do it. Completely sucks the life out of that pre. So just to clarify, your vp26's are brighter and have less bottom than your 512's?
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
According to my tests, the Red Dots are the brightest. The Gar ones are in between the API ones and the Red Dots. I went with the Red Dots cause I wanted to have the most color difference from the 512Cs.

Also another thing people seem to love about the CAPI is the ability to attenuate the output level. I use the little labs attenuator pack after all my 512Cs and it does make a difference since I never pad my 512Cs.
I think the CAPI design is superior to external API's because it has a second gain stage.

My problem with the 512c is that it either gets cranked to distortion, or you have to run it cold. You can't attenuate.

BUT...I'm going with x8 A12s from 7th Circle Audio myself. Less money than either and has a trim pot to gain-stage properly...they do the job just as well as either brand with the degree of control I want...so...that's what I'm getting for the new digs.

I love that sound, and if I only needed a pair, or if I needed DI's the CAPI VP28 would the one I'd look at...but API's in a console with a fader sound just as good as either brand to me, so really that ability to gain-stage is the primary motivating factor on a mechanical level to me with my choice.

Hype aside, it's not that big a deal which one you use...I just prefer not to clip when I run a pre hot. The Missing Link CAPI makes is interesting, but it's starts getting expensive with pres and missing links, etc.

Also bear in mind the 200 series sounded different than the 500 series a bit...the vintage 312s sound a bit different to. But we're talking minute differences even the most discerning pro shouldn't care about. You could make a record with 8 to 16 of any of them, or any combination of them.

If you don't need the DI's...the 7th Circle is just more cost effective for essentially the same thing. The Capi might have a more nuanced sound since it's trying to emulate an actual VCA fader path...but whatever, I can EQ in whatever it's trying to do. The API's lose me with distorting though. Can't mimic not clipping with anything.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I think the CAPI design is superior to external API's because it has a second gain stage.

My problem with the 512c is that it either gets cranked to distortion, or you have to run it cold. You can't attenuate.

BUT...I'm going with x8 A12s from 7th Circle Audio myself. Less money than either and has a trim pot to gain-stage properly...they do the job just as well as either brand with the degree of control I want...so...that's what I'm getting for the new digs.

I love that sound, and if I only needed a pair, or if I needed DI's the CAPI VP28 would the one I'd look at...but API's in a console with a fader sound just as good as either brand to me, so really that ability to gain-stage is the primary motivating factor on a mechanical level to me with my choice.

Hype aside, it's not that big a deal which one you use...I just prefer not to clip when I run a pre hot. The Missing Link CAPI makes is interesting, but it's starts getting expensive with pres and missing links, etc.
My 512's almost always hit a compressor before hitting A/D, thereby solving "the problem". So that's a non issue for me. Even so, I'd still take a vp26 over 512 w/ attenuation almost every time. Unless I want brash...

Just so you've got your facts straight, currently, there is only ONE CAPI pre with a second gain stage - the vp28. The 26's in discussion here have only one gain stage. Secondly, the vp28 does NOT have a DI. The 312's do. Details.....

As for expensive? LIFE is expensive, and this is high end bro... Live large!

PS - the filters in the missing link are worth more than the price of admission IMO....
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

the 312 preamps don't sound anything like my vp28's, from what I've heard of typical api circuits they just don't heave enough bottom end for what i like. the vp28 has the bottom end. plus it has the filters, twin gain stages and everything else it comes with. the myriad of sounds you can get with it if you choose to is excellent.

still it's not the only pre i use. i still love the daking and the lola on vox and guitars the vp28 for me is a dead cert on snare, bass and on mixdown i love it! if i had more than 2 i'd use it more on drums. someday i will have more than 2 at my disposal.

does it deserve to be on the must have list. absolutely. it is a top shelf preamp.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Banned

Quote:

I colored in red the sentence that's my main issue with the CAPI hype. They are good preamps. Do they have their use as another color in the toolbox? Absolutely. Are they better than 512Cs? If less low end and more brightness is your thing, sure. But best thing ever? On the top 3 must have units? I'm sorry, it's time to let people know the emperor has no clothes.

I'm not trying to go against the tide here. I really like my VP26s on toms. But I need to offer a balanced view for anyone who doesn't have access to a ton of preamps either due to cost or location. For the record: The CAPI stuff is great. It's as good as other 500 series preamps with its own unique color.
I have a VP28, Heider 312 and VP312...along with two VC528's. So - I don't have any experience with the VP26's. The VP26 is a single stage pre, right? It's the dual stage pres that have blown me away.
I have to say though, it's kind of annoying that you would post a total diss on CAPI when you've only used one flavor. And - I assume you're referring to my thread up above...insinuating that I'm not smart enough to disseminate hype from telling the TRUTH.

They're all just tools to get us where we want to go, so I really don't care what people use. You can lead a horse to water...
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Bobby Baird
Best 500 series modules

+1 for the Capi Vp28. The must have modern classic 500 series mic pre. The functionality you get, and sound is second to none. Then get a API 550a. Press record.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Off the topic of CAPIs for a sec, are there any la-2a style opto comps for 500 series that are link-able? Jon make a single slot one but it doesn't look like you can link two..

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Off the topic of CAPIs for a sec, are there any la-2a style opto comps for 500 series that are link-able? Jon make a single slot one but it doesn't look like you can link two..
Jlm audio la500 - stereo link able - just joe know you plan on a second at some stage and he will match cells. $880 for 2 for us Aussies. Sound wise you won't find any better
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to asagaai
Buzz Essence

Quote:
A Buzz Essence has a LA2A style opto sound, not tube, but gives a smooth thickening nevertheless. Is also linkable- a modern classic imv.

GJ
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
FALCON
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear interested

-another lucky low level VP 28 user here . 2 stereo pairs, actual one with reddots>app992fet , the other stereo pair with gar2520>gar1731.
cannot decide which one i love more, the first combo is more defined and openes up some space in the mids, the second gives some well known
creamy feeling ..

for opto the jlm LA500 is just a bargain if you diy them. took me 4 hours for the first one, 2 and a half for the second one.

if the VU would not show me there is some huge gain reduction happening i would not believe...you can dial in 10 db and more GR (just checked on drumbuss) and it won´t distort.and if you hear the compression it sounds always nice and thick.
i would say the LA500 (pair) is on par with my 33609 for buss duty..stereo tracking is very good if you buy a pair of them.

CAPI LC53.... not cheap and, if you going to diy , lot of work.
But it has a clean , fast sound with little phase shift, you can boost every
freq. all the way without fatigue, solid and tight bass. i loaded them with double gar1731 to get some warmth, with reddots i felt them beeing to hard ( for digital sources )
greets
axel
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear maniac

:-)

Great!
Now we have the whole CAPI-Party crew in this thread with all those RedDot versus Gar discussions!
Syra, yes it will never end! And it will not be the last thread which ends like that. Maybe we should open a thread in the Moan zone....
But i recommend the Ventura for the requirements of the thread opener.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Banned

Sigh. Then go buy whatever you want. People are expressing what they genuinely like. Try not to let it get to you.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post

Also bear in mind the 200 series sounded different than the 500 series a bit...the vintage 312s sound a bit different to. But we're talking minute differences even the most discerning pro shouldn't care about. You could make a record with 8 to 16 of any of them, or any combination of them.

If you don't need the DI's...the 7th Circle is just more cost effective for essentially the same thing. The Capi might have a more nuanced sound since it's trying to emulate an actual VCA fader path...but whatever, I can EQ in whatever it's trying to do. The API's lose me with distorting though. Can't mimic not clipping with anything.
I had the 7th circle A12's, they were great, and they really got me into the api thing, i got the vp28's, and they gave me gobs of versatility i could not even come close to with the A12's, i sold my SCA rig, no comparison to me.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 View Post
That looks VERY sweet.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
Capi vp28

Quote:
Yes, I really want to hear a good Clip where a mix going thru the VP28 sounds really better than without it..at least a magic touch as everybody says it adds.... maybe is great..but I did not hear any great clip yet taht confirms that.

anybody?

Peace.

Reuven Amiel

"There are no rules, just knowledge, good taste and experimentation"

"Music was designed to escape from reality for a moment, not to magnify our fears and problems"
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
anybody?
I put several up months ago. But I think the mods whacked that thread. They may still be floating around somewhere - combined into another thread, but I'm not going to hunt them down. Going out my 2 buss into line in thru the vp28 makes more of an "analog" difference than summing 32 wide thru my D&R OrionX. Draw your own conclusions....
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
That looks VERY sweet.
The Crane Song Falcon 500 compressor is an extremely complex "opto-like" analog compressor utilizing a tube gain section. I have to admit it just hit our rack and clips will be forthcoming, but it's one of the smoothest and most impressive compressors to ever hit our door.

It isn't a true optical design, it does not utilize a cell. The good news is it absolutely acts like one but in theory its action should not change over the years.

The linking is done digitally (signal path is 100% analog so no worries there) which again just adds to the WOW design that Dave Hill has on his hands here.

More info soon.

War

19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear addict

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search