New Reply
Subscribe
Musicmacd
26th May 2013
Old 26th May 2013
Gear maniac

Cartec thc

Hi Guys
I have put a deposit on this insane looking piece of hardware, Theres no way I can demo the unit so im wondering if anyone has used this piece, and if so what was your impression???
Many thanks Paul
26th May 2013
Old 26th May 2013
Gear interested

I am incredibly interested in this piece to
29th May 2013
Old 29th May 2013
Gear interested

I had a chance to play with it a few months ago now on some mixes I did. I absolutely loved the parallel on it. Every time I tried to dial in something new, I ended up using the parallel, just amazing. Really easy to dial in some 'oomph' with it.

Comp was subtle when I wanted it to be, Only thing I remember not liking was the release (I think) went way too long, after about 60% I just couldn't think i'd ever want it that long, but I remember Liam saying that he knew about that and has fixed it on the production models, not the prototype. So now its all groovy I think.

The clipping circuit was really nice too. Though at first I found myself dialing it in a little much, easy to get carried away. Though I did run a drum stem through it and smashed the hell out of it and it sounded fantastic with clipping and the low boost. Really cool.

One of the heaviest rack units I've ever picked up as well!

I'm in no position to buy one for my personal gear list at the moment (far from it!) but I do remember leaving the studio thinking "one day I WILL own a pair of those (Cartec) Pultecs and a THC. Might be 10 years away but damnit I will eventually get one!"
Musicmacd
29th May 2013
Old 29th May 2013
Gear maniac

Thanks for your report, Salivating at the thought of running my mixes through it.......6 weeks to go!!!
29th May 2013
Old 29th May 2013
Gear interested

You won't be disappointed! I'm very jealous!
Musicmacd
7th June 2013
Old 7th June 2013
Gear maniac

Arrival of unit #17

Picked up the THC today supplied by Audio Choclate (great service).
At first I wasn't sure if I liked it, 4 hours later - LOVE it
Im able to get smooth Mids and great bass. The paralell output is where the beauty is, im able to dial some really nice warmth and some clean treble.
When I bypass the unit (matched levels) its like the mix folds back it to the speaker if that makes sense??

Will report after a few more days trailing.

Also one of the finest looking pieces i've ever seen!!
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Gear interested

Awesome

Glad you're having fun with it!
Musicmacd
11th June 2013
Old 11th June 2013
Gear maniac

Sad to say that the unit had a fault where buzzing could be heard in the right channel also the paper with the reduction levels came away from the plate??? Sent it back to my supplier and swapped it for the Pheonix mastering plus. Was impressed with the sound but felt these issue's let it down.
11th June 2013
Old 11th June 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reports, guys! Like all of us, I am always interested in new tools to use at this "trade".

Not to be a downer but I have to ask:
Just curious...how much of this "magic" from all these tools gets lost in this day and age of loudness wars and heavy mastering compression where most all dynamics is flattened?
12th June 2013
Old 12th June 2013
Gear interested

Sorry to hear that mate. It's a real shame. I know Liam builds everything himself, and everything I saw was built to a very high standard.

How do you like the Phoenix?
12th June 2013
Old 12th June 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Thanks for the reports, guys! Like all of us, I am always interested in new tools to use at this "trade".

Not to be a downer but I have to ask:
Just curious...how much of this "magic" from all these tools gets lost in this day and age of loudness wars and heavy mastering compression where most all dynamics is flattened?
From my experience, quite a bit, but it's still better than no magic
One could off course just refuse to go for the highest RMS possible.
Take the new Daft Punk album, that's a fine balance. Hope it will set an example.
12th June 2013
Old 12th June 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmacd View Post
Sad to say that the unit had a fault where buzzing could be heard in the right channel also the paper with the reduction levels came away from the plate??? Sent it back to my supplier and swapped it for the Pheonix mastering plus. Was impressed with the sound but felt these issue's let it down.
But if you liked it, if it it was just the tool you've ben waiting for, you could have a new one or getting it fixed by the supplier?
How does the Pheonix compare? Do you prefer that now?
Musicmacd
13th June 2013
Old 13th June 2013
Gear maniac

I did like it, and when funds allow will purchase it again. Its more of a tone box - with a compressor, Have found out that Liam new about a fault and has since rectified all new boxes. Unit doesnt really compare to the phoenix as they are very different.
13th June 2013
Old 13th June 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmacd View Post
I did like it, and when funds allow will purchase it again. Its more of a tone box - with a compressor, Have found out that Liam new about a fault and has since rectified all new boxes. Unit doesnt really compare to the phoenix as they are very different.
Thanks for the reply. There is also no way to demo the unit in copenhagen. Not yet anyway. The THC has great features and seems to be the tube box I've been looking for, but I have never bought anything at that price I didn't know already.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search