Are there any REAL pro magazines?
New Reply
Subscribe
anseo
27th August 2006
Old 27th August 2006
Gear nut

Are there any REAL pro magazines?

I was wondering if anyone could point me to an audiomagazine (online or in the shop) that has realistic reviews of hi-end gear, sophisticated articles about technique, you get the picture.

The magazines that I see in the shops and used to read are worthwhile when you're starting out but I dont' find them very interesting anymore.

Are there only magazines for beginners then?

Puh-leez?
GPl
27th August 2006
Old 27th August 2006
GPl
Lives for gear

This is where you'll find that info. Think of it as an internot magazine

"Two degrees in bebop, a PHD in swing, he's the master of rhythm, he's a rock and roll king" -Lowell George-

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates"
27th August 2006
Old 27th August 2006
Gear nut

yes sir the internet has taken the place of many mags. i'm a hip hop head and allhiphop.com pretty much cancelled all of my subscriptions to those. on the fly info kills the need for a printed mag
27th August 2006
Old 27th August 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
This is where you'll find that info. Think of it as an internot magazine
Understood sir. But, I'm new to this forum. Could you please name the members of this forum that don't know what they're talking about? That would help. just kiddin'
27th August 2006
Old 27th August 2006
Lives for gear

Alirght, now that we've proven that the internet is the next sliced bread, here are some mags that should work great for you:

TapeOp - www.tapeop.com (and guess what, it's free!)

Sound On Sound - www.soundonsound.com (The mag and the website are awesome. Lots of interviews with big names and techniques every months specific for every recording software and platform).

Mix Magzine - www.mixonline.com (As the names says it is a 'mix'ed bag. Some months it's brilliant and other months it seems like a place for those at the top of the industry to blab about fluff and nothing. The gear reviews in here seem all sugar coated too.)

Recording Magazine - www.recordingmag.com (There's some cool stuff in here a lot of times, but it also seems geared to the smaller project or home studio. At least in the past. Lately it's been moving more mainstream.)

So there's a few. Then there's others that straddle across genres, like Electronic Musician www.emusician.com and then there's EQ Magazine www.eqmag.com which I remember used to be pretty beefy, but seems really thin now, literally, the page count is very low, and I often wonder if EQ will still be around for a while...

Anyone else have others too add please do so, I'm always on the lookout for cool page-flippers to have handy while I'm taking a crap.
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

call up mercenary and get some gear to try out in your own studio, and make your own opinions about them. a lot of, if not all magazine reviews have a lot to do with who is a paid advertiser and who isn't.
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Gear maniac

Mags

Hi,

Resolution is a British pro audio magazine that is the real deal.
Articles and reviews aimed squarely at the pro market in post, studio and record production. Great interviews with such luminaries as Rupert Neve etc.

Check it out at http://www.resolutionmag.com/ and apply for a subscription.

Ronan.
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anseo View Post
Understood sir. But, I'm new to this forum. Could you please name the members of this forum that don't know what they're talking about? That would help. just kiddin'
A very perceptive question. I salute you. Read everything you can get your hands on ( I used to go to the university library and read all the back issues of the AES journal....only understood about 10%, but some did eventually soak in) and you'll start to get an overview of the gear and techniques. Couple your reading with as much hands on as you can and you'll be a veritable treasure trove of arcane information before you know it. If you can find a soulmate that will play "name that microphone" while looking at TV shows and magazine photos then you've really crossed over into full time gear mania.
Good luck, Rick (oh, I agree with the mags listed earlier and check out the other sites listed at "other sites" forum at the bottom of Gear Slutz.)
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Gear nut

Those who have been at this for a while may remember a publication called "Recording Engineer and Producer". This was without a doubt the best publication I've ever seen in this industry. Unfortunatly, it is no more. I think I still have a few issues tucked away somewhere.
I remember in one issue they ran an article called "Keeping the tanks rolling" a multi page spread about Randy Blevins in Nashville. Most will know Randy is the last word when it comes to MCI's. I first saw that article nearly 20 years ago. Now Randy is a good friend. Who'd a thunk?
It would be nice to see something whit the kind of quality found in "Recording Engineer and Producer" again, but the market that wouldn't support such a high quality mag back then, is less likely to support it now. Sign of the times. But we still have GS!

John

http://www.SkywaySound.net
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

If only one, TapeOp by a wide margin.
anseo
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Gear nut

Thanks for the links and good advice everyone.

As far as gear is concerned, I am aware that no reviewer can replace my own ears.

Every now and then I rent some hi-end stuff.
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
member no 666

Resolution is the only magazine I have found that I read cover to cover without getting pissed off at some inane/incorrect bullshit that has been written.

Tape Op is cool, but for a different reason. Tape Op, at least for me, is a tool I use to find out about music I have never heard [until they started to get the "big name" interview crap happening... I know all I need to know about Daniel Lanois and George Massenburg].

EQ has changed yet again... so we'll see what happens with that change. I used to like Eugene Robinson's take on things... he wasn't afraid to call out a product/manufacturer [while a lot of the articles were indeed bullshit there was often a gem hidden in the styrofoam from time to time]... we'll see how the new regime settles out.

Resolution is [in my opinion] the absolute best trade journal in the industry... as always, YMMV.

Peace.

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Yeah, those were the days... I loved that mag. I ended up writing for them the last few years they were around. I got to do some stinging reviews. One I did on the AMEK Mozart RN and found some disturbing test results with the Audio Precision. The editor printed it accuractly and it really pissed AMEK off. They threatend not to advertise, sue, etc. until I offered to modem over the AP test results so they could run them on the factory floor. Even Rupert the Neve called and said it wasn't "my fault". AMEK wouldn't talk to me for several years after that.

Do we need a mag like that today! Imagine how a Pro Stools review would go...

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
ha ha... great story Jim. If only the world around us (or to be more specific, the ridiculously fragile human ego) could 'handle the truth' on a daily basis. Society might be in a whole lot better shape than what passes for business as usual on planet Earth.

Back to this thread topic, dB used to be a pretty good in it's day. I'd snap up any old copies of that you come across as well as those of R-E-P.

~8^)

The enemy isn't liberalism or conservatism, the enemy is bullshit --
Lars-Erik Nelson

Now, when there's no longer surface noise and you actually have the ability to have the most extraordinary dynamic range, people aren't using it -- T-Bone Burnett
The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them -- Albert Einstein
I'm not black, but there's a whole lot of times I wish I could say I'm not white -- Frank Zappa

28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Gear maniac

[QUOTE=anseo;854961]I was wondering if anyone could point me to an audiomagazine (online or in the shop) that has realistic reviews of hi-end gear, sophisticated articles about technique, you get the picture.

Resolution - the best of all of them...
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

Does Resolution do comp subscriptions (for studios) like the other mags do?
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Does Resolution do comp subscriptions (for studios) like the other mags do?
I don't know about Resolution, but free subscriptions are available from Mix, EQ, Pro Audio Review, and Electronic Musician. They are all mags I'll read but wouldn't pay for.
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Gear nut

28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

AudioMedia was good, but i don't get free copy anymore so i don't know what's happening
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

cover price, editorial integrity, regional perspective?

Running a magazine is tough business. Everything costs and everyone wants to be paid. I don't know how Larry Crane makes it happen, but the complementary subscription, good letters section, and the occasional GREAT interview make it a must read. I've got every issue back to #18, and a few below that (even some xerox zine TapeOp's from around Portland). Get the first ten issues in the TapeOp book.

Resolution is worth every penny of a first class subscrption (expensive for us Yanks, since the US Dollar has plummeted vs. UK Pound). Go to the web site and read the articles under "Content": good stuff. The actual magazine is oversize and printed on creamy-smooth stock. Nice. It might be less expensive to buy from a specialty news dealer in your town than subscribe, but that's time, travel, impulse purchases, espresso, etc.

I subscribe to DV for the 6 or so audio articles by Jay Rose every year.

Karl Keefer
Portland Oregon
28th August 2006
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

Resolution by a HUGE margin. Have been a subscriber for I think two years ?

Honest, real world reviews by good and passionate writers, axcellent articles, and always very positively forward thinking about the industry.

And lets face it, we need to be if there is still going to be one in ten years.

Nathan

Elliott Smith

29th August 2006
Old 29th August 2006
Lives for gear

NOT Sound on Sound- bless em they try but 90% of that mag is for hobbyists not pros.
Maybe there is something interesting in every other one.
Even the interviews people give them seem to have been dumbed down compared to actually talking to some of the guys I know who have been featured!

I'm not saying they do a bad job cos a lot of people find what they have to say fascinating and they have to please their subscribers... I just don't think many of those subscribers are pros.
29th August 2006
Old 29th August 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Yeah, those were the days... I loved that mag. I ended up writing for them the last few years they were around. I got to do some stinging reviews. One I did on the AMEK Mozart RN and found some disturbing test results with the Audio Precision. The editor printed it accuractly and it really pissed AMEK off. They threatend not to advertise, sue, etc. until I offered to modem over the AP test results so they could run them on the factory floor. Even Rupert the Neve called and said it wasn't "my fault". AMEK wouldn't talk to me for several years after that.

Do we need a mag like that today! Imagine how a Pro Stools review would go...

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Glad to hear someone else besides me is old enough to remember. Your story is just one of the reasons I thought it was such a great publication. They told it as they saw it even if it stepped on toes. Must not have been any share holders to answer to.

John
29th August 2006
Old 29th August 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
a lot of, if not all magazine reviews have a lot to do with who is a paid advertiser and who isn't.
I'm not saying this is not true to a certain extent but...we've had our Safe Sound Audio P1 reviewed by Recording Magazine and Tape Op and I've never sent either of them a dime before and after...and they pretty much nailed the box for its attributes (and pointed out anything that annoyed them) and neither ever asked me to advertise with them at any point.

If there's some kind of unwritten system in place where big companies are just paying and paying and paying and nobody's willing to write anything negative about them at that point...that may be a different story. I can only speak from the point of view of our business which would be considered small compared to most manufacturers etc.

Overall I feel like Gearslutz and other sites that discuss real experiences on a daily basis give a better overall feel for how a product will perform. The search button should be everybody's new best friend.

War

30th August 2006
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Overall I feel like Gearslutz and other sites that discuss real experiences on a daily basis give a better overall feel for how a product will perform. The search button should be everybody's new best friend.

War
There's a lot of truth in that comment!

The only thing you have to be careful of, is that you don't digress into a few dozen other discussions when you only started out looking for one topic. Next thing you know, the bills aren't paid, you haven't run the errands, and the bank account is a lot emptier than you can recall.

Man, this place is addictive!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search