What does the API 2500 do to the sound/mix?
stevetgn
24th August 2006
Old 24th August 2006
Lives for gear

What does the API 2500 do to the sound/mix?

Before I go wasting someone's time borrowing an API 2500 to try before I buy, how would you guys describe its sound. I produce mainly rock/pop based music with real guitars, bass & drums. I'm after a mix buss comp that will keep things tight, punchy and together with that "pro" finish (what ever that is?). I particularly like big deep clear bottom ends to my mix that isn't boomy, just punchy & clear (like Stings "Brand New Day Album")

I realise that one stereo mix comp won't do all this for me and the recording/mix has to be right first, but I'm I looking at the right product or should I opt for something like the T.C. Phoenix?

Cheers dudes

Steve
24th August 2006
Old 24th August 2006
Gear maniac

I've had one for about a year. I do emo/punky/hardcore stuff. I LOVE it. I use it for tracking and on the 2 bus. It's really two different comps in one actuated by the "old/new" switch. On many of my projects it is the only hardware comp used.
stevetgn
24th August 2006
Old 24th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntbutt View Post
I've had one for about a year. I do emo/punky/hardcore stuff. I LOVE it. I use it for tracking and on the 2 bus. It's really two different comps in one actuated by the "old/new" switch. On many of my projects it is the only hardware comp used.
Cheers mate, but how would you discribe its sound? When switched in was does it do to the mix that other comps don't?
24th August 2006
Old 24th August 2006
Gear maniac

For tracking it can be transparent to aggressive. On the 2 bus, for me it makes the track feel "tougher". I usually only go for 1-2dB on the 2 bus, and it's not a night and day difference, but if you hit bypass after listening for a while it feels like the track gets wimpy.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search