Keep my d-box?
New Reply
Subscribe
Mystic Muse
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear nut

Keep my d-box?

I am using an AVID 16x16 I/O and PT HD 10. Also have tons of outboard gear neve mic pre/EQ, api, inward connections STEP EQ - two of them. Also a stereo bus compressor all my slots in my lunchbox (10 slots) are filled. Also use a PCM 91 sometimes. My question is, is the summing on the D-Box sufficient enough for the gear that I have or should I go for something else? I know the D-Box isn't considered high end gear however I think using it for analog summing is all right I do notice a fairly distinct difference but its not profound yet its okay. I'd rather have an SPL mix dream but I suppose I want to know if the D-Box is good enough? I take it the d-box is marketing for folks with 003 racks, ensembles, other POS firewire gear that I wouldn't give to my dog. Still is it a good enough summing mixer anyway? Also should I stick with the DAC on the D-box or use my AVID I/O's DAC? I think I just want reassurance that my d-box will serve me well and is not a piece of junk.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
I think I just want reassurance that my d-box will serve me well and is not a piece of junk.
it will, and, it's not
Baz
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
I know the D-Box isn't considered high end gear
Really? There's a lot users of this great product that would contest that.Now as a high end summer,yes.I look as the summing feature as a throw in and haven't even bothered with it yet. Most people buy this for the DA and excellent headphone amps
"Buy good tools, with track records, not GS flavor of the day, and there isn't anything you can't cut and have pride in. The flavor of the day will or won't prove itself over time." - Dan Kennedy 08.08'
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Most people buy this for the DA and excellent headphone amps
+1.

2 headphone outputs, and having a talkback built in with a remote switch are wicked handy features.

I bought it primarily as a monitor controller, not for the summing...alt speaker selection, mono, additional inputs for CD, etc.

The summing feature for me is a 'meh'. Tried, hear the difference, but would rather invest in an analog console.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear addict

The 'clean' summation is for headroom, which is a huge plus come mix time. It's also for integrating outboard gear or for simply summing 4 stereo stems to a mix buss chain. This is a very handy feature not to be overlooked.

The summing portion is also brilliant because you can wire in your analog gear and use the D-Box to monitor at different points in the chain, which is a great way to evaluate your gear.

The summing portion is so much more than simply summing on this box. I'd argue it's more for utility, headroom and properly wiring up your analog pieces. It's certainly not a character piece unless you add to it...

If you don't plan on using the summing portion of this box, I'd simply purchase a Dangerous Source and save a few bucks.

Lastly, I'm a biased D-Box owner I just love this thing. It gets used at all points in the chain for me - from tracking to mixing!

-Phil
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

I want to know if the D-Box is good enough?

Yes. At least from where I'm sitting. I don't run an Avid rig so I can't comment on the DAC but the DBox D/A is nice.

It's a great all in one solution in a sigle rack space. I would love a remote monitor controller, but for the price and features it's a good buy.

I take it the d-box is marketing for folks with 003 racks, ensembles, other POS firewire gear that I wouldn't give to my dog.

It certainly is targeted towards people with 8 channel interfaces. It's a very good fit.

I do think describing the Ensemble as a POS firewire gear is a bit of a stretch. I use Burl B2 Bombers and also incorporate an Ensemble in my studio and can assure you that the Ensemble is capable of delivering the goods. A DBox and Ensemble alone are a nice little remote package.

The summing feature for me is a 'meh'

As a DBox owner I would agree I don't really hear much of a difference and think I would really need to step up to 16 channels of summing to really take full advantage of what summing has to offer.

The summing portion is so much more than simply summing on this box. I'd argue it's more for utility, headroom and properly wiring up your analog pieces.

Exactly what I use it for.

There is a boatload of mega hyped gear on GS. This is one of those pieces for me that lives up to the hype. It's a very well thought out, well designed and a sturdy piece of gear. Dangerous Tech support for me has always been stellar.

If you need 16 channels of summing or you have the cash to do some significant analog upgrades such as a board then the DBox is probably not the ticket for you. For a small studio, budget restrictions or remote applications it's a very good choice.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search