Login / Register

Daisy Chaining Rosetta 800s. What are the possibilities?
New Reply
Subscribe
Bassphil
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Gear nut

Daisy Chaining Rosetta 800s. What are the possibilities?

Who happens to be using to Rosetta 800 converters? Is anybody daisy chaining them together with FireWire?

Let's assume that both Rosettas have the X-fire Fireware card installed. I am thinking of two scenarios here, neither of which may work :-)

I know a lot of people will plug one Rosetta 800 into their Digi 002 or 003 via ADAT. Would it be possible to then plug a second Rosetta 800 into that first Rosette 800 via X-fire FireWire cards and therefore have 16 channels of Rosetta?

Or, is the way to do it simply plug the first Rosetta 800 into your Mac directly (without Digi hardware) with a FireWire cable, and then daisy chain the second Rosetta 800 into the first Rosetta with another FireWire cable?

I have a friend who runs two Rosetta 800s, but he has symphony cards installed in the Rosettas and a symphony PCI card installed in his Mac desktop.

It's a long story about why I would want to do this, so I won't bore you with an explanation. Suffice it to say that we'd first like the explore any firewire possibilities first.

Thanks for your time!
Bassphil
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Gear nut

I have another thread posted about sample rate problems with the Rosetta, and I mentioned the above issue about daisy chaining and received the reply below. I mentioned over there that I started this thread to keep the daisy chain separate from the sample rate discussion.

Quote:
The Rosetta 800 won't "link" to another, you can however use a rme raydat card system and connect 2 of them with the lightpipe. Unfortunately there's no daisy chain feature there only 8 in/out per unit
Bassphil
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Gear nut

Okay, after nearly four days of searching, I finally found a post that seems to agree- there's no way ProTools is going to work with two Rosettas connected to each other by firewire. Apogee did a really good job of hinting at this capability without actually saying anything about it...

Unless someone here is actually pulling this off somehow, then I guess we can consider this thread closed! Here's a paragraph from another forum that sums it up.

Quote:
You can't run two seperate firewire devices in pro tools, AFAIK. You can set them up as aggragate devices in the Audio Devices menu on the mac osx, but pt will have clocking issues and crash if you try to use them both in a session.

But there is a product that may fit the niche. The don't make it anymore, but take a look at the Presonus FireStudio Lightpipe.
PreSonus FireStudio Lightpipe | Sweetwater.com.
It has 32 adat i/o and it connects with a firewire connection. It has analog outs for monitoring and headphones...but that would be the only d/a conversion that the actual unit is doing. You may have to get a master clock to sync everthing together, like the BLA micro clock, but that will improve the d/a of the presonus unit too. The other possible downside is you may be limited to using 48k via adat...which to me is not a big deal, but if you are doing and work for HD films...you may want 96k or 192k.

There are other units too....like the RME Fireface UFX, which has multiple adat inputs so you can utilize all 16 channels of your devices. But that sucker is around 2g's. There is also the Motu 896mk3, with a about half the price.
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

I've tried using my Rosetta as an aggregate device with a number of different interfaces to no avail. I always have to ADAT the Rosetta to another interface if I want it to play nicely

Full line of custom, tube, boutique, point to point, studio mic preamps, optical compressors, and guitar amps.
www.hendyamps.com
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search