Login / Register

Chandler Tone Control for first hardware eq?
New Reply
Subscribe
bjorn
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Gear maniac

Chandler Tone Control for first hardware eq?

I'm thinking of getting first hardware eq for myself.
Chandler Tone Control came up to my sight.
it seems what I'm looking for.
what would you do if you were in my shoes?
my budget is around $2400
so I gotta look for used fair if gong with chandler.

I do mostly electronic stuffs and mostly my own music.
I want to have eq for tracking my vintage synths and drum machines,
stems and mix buss use.

my current little outboard set up consists of Chandler TG2, Culture Vulture,
Smart C1, Lexicon PCM 70, H3000, Burl B2 and etc.
I'm not really a transparency guy as you can see.
I mostly mix ITB after tracking is done and do outboard treatment on stems and mix bus.

even though it would be my first hardware eq and many people seem to recommend more versatile EQs, the reason why I'm leaning on to
chandler tone control is that it is known for mojo, fat bottom and vintagish tone
from reviews I've read on the net.
I quite love chandler TG2 that I have and I'm getting real good faith in
chandler's products that they would fulfill my taste.
I also want to add TG1 too but anyway..

some people says that tone control is not very versatile and can be limited
upon materials and maybe too much color for mix bus.
I personally pursue musical tone colors of bands like Royksopp, M83, Jonsi etc.

since I enjoy plugin digital EQs for surgical stuff, I think I would enjoy more
tone shaping EQ or some thing that fattens up after mix bus compression.
Tone control's pultec inspired system is very tempting.

There seems many other recommendations like A-designs EM-PEQ, usual suspect API ones and etc.

what would you do?

the things is I can't demo any of them.
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

I freaking love my Tone Control and would love to have a second (and I already have 10 TG strips). Not the box for legit music or acoustic music but seems like it would be right up your alley (our musical tastes/styles seem similar although I like to blend the electronic elements with organic elements so I'll add real drums and layer many an guitar part on top).

I use it on vocals, bass, electric guitar, drums and electronic parts that need a little more zing to them. I tend to like a lighter, less colored touch of eq if I have eq on the mix buss (but, I only have one TC so never tried it on the 2-buss) but for individual tracks and busses I don't think that you'll be disappointed. Plenty of plugins for subtle or surgical corrections so if you're going to invest in hardware you might as well bring on the mojo and nothing does it like the TC!

For reference, I've owned or am intimately familiar with all the API eq models, Pultecs, SSl eq's, RND 5033, Chandler TG channel, and and the Chandler Tone Control is my personal favorite (and the TG2 is my favorite preamp). From your description, the only other box I'd recommend considering is the API 5500 and if you eventually ended up with 2 Tone Controls and an API 5500 as your only outboard eq's I think you'd be pretty darn psyched! The two compliment each other great and between the two I really don't think that you'll want for anything else.
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
I freaking love my Tone Control and would love to have a second (and I already have 10 TG strips). Not the box for legit music or acoustic music but seems like it would be right up your alley (our musical tastes/styles seem similar although I like to blend the electronic elements with organic elements so I'll add real drums and layer many an guitar part on top).

I use it on vocals, bass, electric guitar, drums and electronic parts that need a little more zing to them. I tend to like a lighter, less colored touch of eq if I have eq on the mix buss (but, I only have one TC so never tried it on the 2-buss) but for individual tracks and busses I don't think that you'll be disappointed. Plenty of plugins for subtle or surgical corrections so if you're going to invest in hardware you might as well bring on the mojo and nothing does it like the TC!

For reference, I've owned or am intimately familiar with all the API eq models, Pultecs, SSl eq's, RND 5033, Chandler TG channel, and and the Chandler Tone Control is my personal favorite (and the TG2 is my favorite preamp). From your description, the only other box I'd recommend considering is the API 5500 and if you eventually ended up with 2 Tone Controls and an API 5500 as your only outboard eq's I think you'd be pretty darn psyched! The two compliment each other great and between the two I really don't think that you'll want for anything else.
10 Chandler Limited TG Channels? ****ING AWESOME! I know the pre is the same as the TG2, but how do they compare?
bjorn
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:

Wow 10 TG strips! you certainly love the mojo
Thanks for your comment on Tone Control
I'm also planning for adding more acoustical elements in my current project.
I also love TG2. There's something about chandler definitely.
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Here's my Chandler history (and Chandler is my favorite name in pro audio) - started with a TG Channel MKII and loved it but didn't use the eq much since I didn't track with much eq at the time and it didn't have a separate line input to put on the patchbay so was a hassle to use while mixing.

So, decided I'd rather have two of the pres than one with eq and sold it and bought a TG2. Never had them side by side but had the same sound and vibe to my ears and the impedance switch was nice since I use a lot of ribbons. Had it for years and they became my favorite preamps. Somewhere along the way I picked up a TG1 and absolutely loved it's sound and action (nice compression and stupidly aggressive limiting and, of course, the THD switch if you just wanted the tone with no compression).

Other stuff came and went in my studio but the TG2 and TG1 always stayed.

Then, surfing the web one day I hit VK's website and they had the Chandler mini mixer loaded with 10 TG channels (3 band eq instead of the 4 I had on the MKII channel) and 2 linkable channels of the TG1 comp (with THD mode). Price was high as you can imagine but worked out to a pretty amazing deal on a per channel basis.

So, I sold off my TG2, my TG1, my API preamps as well as my API 500 series eqs and another comp and eq I had which covered the cost and got me my dream front end to my SSL Matrix all in one streamlined pack (and I was pleasantly surprised when the panel and LEDs were almost a perfect match - like they were made for each other). Inputs are fed from my booth when tracking and when mixing I feed 10 of the outputs from my convertors to them on line input to have the eqs in line and to add some transformers to the neutral sounding SSL. And, of course, the TG1 units operate exactly like my rackmount TG1 did.

Couldn't let go of the tone control, though and I kept a pair of Pendulum mic pres - I find the TG pres work great on anything but if I want a more open and Hi-fi the Pendulum gets me there and that's all the variety I need. Love the 3 band eq on the strips, very intuitive and easy to do gentle carving with when tracking or mixing. Wish it had 4 bands but sometimes it's nicer to just keep it simple - 1 low boost, 1 mid cut, and one high boost. The eq is very gentle and flattering and I never feel like I'm doing anything I wish I hadn't when tracking with them.

The Tone Control is just plain fun - has a great tone and very flexible gain staging with the germanium gain and feedback controls and you can really dial up some great curves with it. Like I said, it can really be used on anything but it will leave it's mark - it's a very creative tone shaping tool.

Would love to have a 5500 but the Arsenal was picked up used for about $650 and has a great sound and more flexibility than either of the TG eqs for Toms and guitars so fills in nicely.

It's been a long road with a lot of gear bought and sold but I walk into my studio and hit the master switch and get giddy everytime. The ergonomics are perfect, the sound is amazing, and I can make records of the highest sonic quality for the rest of my life with what I have now.

Which means that I've finally come full circle and gear disappears when I'm working and the studio becomes all about the music again! As far as consoles go, the Chandler front end with SSL flexibility and mixing is a total dream. Wouldn't have wanted to pay new prices on either but I lucked out and get relatively good deals on both (don't really like telling friends I have 27k invested in the two when they ask but when they tell me I could of bought a new car for that amount I tell them that no one has ever made a record in a Toyota!).
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler Tone Control for first hardware eq?-chandler-front-end.jpg  
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

cant go wrong with chandlers

Make sure to get 2!!!

Last edited by daez; 13th March 2013 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: P.s
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
but when they tell me I could of bought a new car for that amount I tell them that no one has ever made a record in a Toyota!).
Amen!
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's my Chandler history (and Chandler is my favorite name in pro audio) - started with a TG Channel MKII and loved it but didn't use the eq much since I didn't track with much eq at the time and it didn't have a separate line input to put on the patchbay so was a hassle to use while mixing.

So, decided I'd rather have two of the pres than one with eq and sold it and bought a TG2. Never had them side by side but had the same sound and vibe to my ears and the impedance switch was nice since I use a lot of ribbons. Had it for years and they became my favorite preamps. Somewhere along the way I picked up a TG1 and absolutely loved it's sound and action (nice compression and stupidly aggressive limiting and, of course, the THD switch if you just wanted the tone with no compression).

Then, surfing the web one day I hit VK's website and they had the Chandler mini mixer loaded with 10 TG channels (3 band eq instead of the 4 I had on the MKII channel) and 2 linkable channels of the TG1 comp (with THD mode). Price was high as you can imagine but worked out to a pretty amazing deal on a per channel basis.

So, I sold off my TG2, my TG1, my API preamps as well as my API 500 series eqs and another comp and eq I had which covered the cost and got me my dream front end to my SSL Matrix all in one streamlined pack (and I was pleasantly surprised when the panel and LEDs were almost a perfect match - like they were made for each other). Inputs are fed from my booth when tracking and when mixing I feed 10 of the outputs from my convertors to them on line input to have the eqs in line and to add some transformers to the neutral sounding SSL. And, of course, the TG1 units operate exactly like my rackmount TG1 did.

Couldn't let go of the tone control, though and I kept a pair of Pendulum mic pres - I find the TG pres work great on anything but if I want a more open and Hi-fi the Pendulum gets me there and that's all the variety I need. Love the 3 band eq on the strips, very intuitive and easy to do gentle carving with when tracking or mixing. Wish it had 4 bands but sometimes it's nicer to just keep it simple - 1 low boost, 1 mid cut, and one high boost. The eq is very gentle and flattering and I never feel like I'm doing anything I wish I hadn't when tracking with them.

The Tone Control is just plain fun - has a great tone and very flexible gain staging with the germanium gain and feedback controls and you can really dial up some great curves with it. Like I said, it can really be used on anything but it will leave it's mark - it's a very creative tone shaping tool.

Would love to have a 5500 but the Arsenal was picked up used for about $650 and has a great sound and more flexibility than either of the TG eqs for Toms and guitars so fills in nicely.

It's been a long road with a lot of gear bought and sold but I walk into my studio and hit the master switch and get giddy everytime. The ergonomics are perfect, the sound is amazing, and I can make records of the highest sonic quality for the rest of my life with what I have now.

Which means that I've finally come full circle and gear disappears when I'm working and the studio becomes all about the music again! As far as consoles go, the Chandler front end with SSL flexibility and mixing is a total dream. Wouldn't have wanted to pay new prices on either but I lucked out and get relatively good deals on both (don't really like telling friends I have 27k invested in the two when they ask but when they tell me I could of bought a new car for that amount I tell them that no one has ever made a record in a Toyota!).
Jaw dropping beautiful! Great Story.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Head

I have a pair of Tone Controls and a TG2, both get constant use. I use the TC on vocals mainly because I love the character I can impart. It can clean up a bit by backing off the gain but I usually like it cranked up there a bit. Sometimes it's a bit much and I'll use the Hammer instead but rarely.

That being said, I don't think I would use it on mix bus.......but that's only because I already have a lot of outboard character pieces in both the tracking and mixing phase. In fact, if I could only have ONE eq it wouldn't be the TC because at the end of the day.....there's enough ways to dirty and darken up a track. If it was my only eq I'd never be able to do pristine if I so cared.
bjorn
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:

wow awesome story.
what would you do if you had to choose between TG1 and Tone Control?
which one would you get first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hesse View Post
I have a pair of Tone Controls and a TG2, both get constant use. I use the TC on vocals mainly because I love the character I can impart. It can clean up a bit by backing off the gain but I usually like it cranked up there a bit. Sometimes it's a bit much and I'll use the Hammer instead but rarely.

That being said, I don't think I would use it on mix bus.......but that's only because I already have a lot of outboard character pieces in both the tracking and mixing phase. In fact, if I could only have ONE eq it wouldn't be the TC because at the end of the day.....there's enough ways to dirty and darken up a track. If it was my only eq I'd never be able to do pristine if I so cared.
wish I could have many other outboard character boxes.
with my little setup, I only can dirty up during tracking and mix bus while mixing ITB. maybe I should just go get TC and try out. even if I feel it's too much for mix bus, I'm sure it will be very useful for tracking and individual sources.
Thanks for your comment
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Head

Tone control are great for tone shaping and bass duties. But indeed, you'll probably want a pair of them (the PSU can feed 2 anyway).
Be cautious about where you put them though, they are very sensitive to interference from nearby transfo for instance (I guess due to the inductors) and you can then easily get hum in your signal.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Love the Chandler Germ Tone Control, with every fiber of my being

It is a radical piece! Go forth and create magic!!!
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn View Post
wow awesome story.
what would you do if you had to choose between TG1 and Tone Control?
which one would you get first?
I'd get the Tone Control - especially since you already have the TG2 and you can't get the TG Channel eq ala carte. Before I was "forced" into buying the mini mixer I had the TG2 with the 1 Tone Control and another was on my list (and still is).

The eq on the TG channel is fantastic but it's function (not necessary it's sound) could more easily to replicated by plugins (actually, the Abbey Road plugins are absolutely brilliant (ha!) if you haven't tried them - their TG comp reacts in a very similar way to the TG1 but just a little more controlled and there are times that I'll even use it instead of the outboard if I want a more predictable and linear response).

The Tone Control is more about creativity than function for me and these days there are so many plugins so good at "getting the job done" that if I invest in outboard I like for it to have a distinct character or do something totally unique. I love having the TG eq as my console eq for little corrections or flattering (and flatter it does!) but the Tone Control (especially into a TG1) will get you some really interesting and amazing sounds and introduce much more distortion if you're looking for it.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Great thread!
bjorn
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
I'd get the Tone Control - especially since you already have the TG2 and you can't get the TG Channel eq ala carte. Before I was "forced" into buying the mini mixer I had the TG2 with the 1 Tone Control and another was on my list (and still is).

The eq on the TG channel is fantastic but it's function (not necessary it's sound) could more easily to replicated by plugins (actually, the Abbey Road plugins are absolutely brilliant (ha!) if you haven't tried them - their TG comp reacts in a very similar way to the TG1 but just a little more controlled and there are times that I'll even use it instead of the outboard if I want a more predictable and linear response).

The Tone Control is more about creativity than function for me and these days there are so many plugins so good at "getting the job done" that if I invest in outboard I like for it to have a distinct character or do something totally unique. I love having the TG eq as my console eq for little corrections or flattering (and flatter it does!) but the Tone Control (especially into a TG1) will get you some really interesting and amazing sounds and introduce much more distortion if you're looking for it.
yeah I love Abbey Road TG comp/limiter plugin.
the plugin made me want to get real TG1.
getting Tone Control first would be better move if there are no plug in that can
replicate the real one.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear interested

Hello bjorn.

I used to have Germanium Pre, Comp, and Tone control, one of the each.. I have used those on mix bus, too. I out put 2mix and work with L part and R part separately. Because I don't pan much, I am kind of into Mono mix, so I did not think I have to work on Stereo Field every time...

Anyways, Germanium series are "mojo" staff, but it can't get over beyond the "mojo". it seems like only one special color. Also, I am sure that Tone control is inspired by Pultec, but Tone control has much softer character. They have drive and feed back for more mojo, but it was not easy for me to place the right tone in the right place.. (my opinion ONLY!!)

I have API550a, too. But I don't feel it is for you. because of there "Step gain and control", sometimes I cannot push/find gain on right place. (again, my opinion ONLY!!)

So, if I am you, I would choose more like Pultec, such as Cartec Audio EQP-1A, Tube-Tech PE1C. it might be little bit over your budget $2,400, but if I am you, I would consider those Tubes for tone shaping.

Or I would choose couple different type of eq on api500 module, such as maag eq4, A-designs EM-PEQ, AML ez1073-500, Neve 1073LBEQ.... I think If you get api 500 modules, you can try many eq with less cost.

Good Luck! Best Regards!!

Tadaki
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Looking at this again... I so want that Chandler TG Channel rack!
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Anything Chandler is awesome. I love the mic pres, and have a couple of the Germanium compressors and I have to say they are the most versatile tone shaping comps I have used. Having said that, I don't own the EQ, but as soon as our new building is done I will!!!
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to chymer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Anything Chandler is awesome. I love the mic pres, and have a couple of the Germanium compressors and I have to say they are the most versatile tone shaping comps I have used. Having said that, I don't own the EQ, but as soon as our new building is done I will!!!
I use my TG2 and tone control for everything I record pretty much. Amazing gear.

Sent from my GT-N7105T
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

I'm flying out to Austin to mix my record at my friend's very well-equipped and well respected studio next week. He, of course, has his tools and know how to use them and I have mine and we have surprising little overlap in our gear so I was trying to decide if it was worth shipping any of my gear out to use (a few pieces I have that he doesn't that I use all the time - Bricasti, API 2500, TG1, STA level etc).

After going through our lists, we came to the conclusion that he had everything pretty well covered for his mixing workflow and the only piece we decided that I absolutely had to bring was the one piece that we both already owned - the Chandler Tone Control!

We each have one and have each always wanted two so it's coming out and neither of us could be any more thrilled just to see two racked together (we decided we'd take a photo and each put it on our website and when people came over we'd just say one of them was on loan - every studio has 2 distressors now so we wanted to boast 2 Tone Controls!). I have a feeling we'll both be selling off something to buy a 2nd when we get to start using them on stereo busses!

That being said, if my TG1 was still in 19" form instead of combined with 10 other pieces in a 75 pound case it would be making the trip for sure!
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear maniac

Has anyone heard any good audio samples of the tone control online? I've been seriously thinking about buying this for a while now, but it's impossible to demo it where I am (Edmonton, Alberta). Long and Mcquade here in town doesn't carry much in the high end department, and returns on special orders have crazy restocking fees. Boo...
28th April 2013
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloper View Post
Has anyone heard any good audio samples of the tone control online? I've been seriously thinking about buying this for a while now, but it's impossible to demo it where I am (Edmonton, Alberta). Long and Mcquade here in town doesn't carry much in the high end department, and returns on special orders have crazy restocking fees. Boo...
Did anyone ever post these or get the tc? I'm contemplating if nlw
29th April 2013
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

I am sure it is a very good eq, but for the same price you can get yourself an
Api 550a and a used 550b or a 560 so 2 eq's for the price of that one.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search