a U87 - but quieter
New Reply
Subscribe
Meurig
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear interested

a U87 - but quieter

I love my 1979 vintage U87 - the tone is just so right for my needs. But I just wish it was a little quieter.

I'm wondering if there are any simple mods that could be done to only reduce the self noise? I don't really want to go to the trouble of sending it to Klaus or the guys in Germany; partly because of the long wait but mostly because I'd like to leave the tone intact.

Would prefer to work with someone UK based as I can't bear to be without it for long.

Any thoughts anyone?
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
I love my 1979 vintage U87 - the tone is just so right for my needs. But I just wish it was a little quieter.

I'm wondering if there are any simple mods that could be done to only reduce the self noise? I don't really want to go to the trouble of sending it to Klaus or the guys in Germany; partly because of the long wait but mostly because I'd like to leave the tone intact.

Would prefer to work with someone UK based as I can't bear to be without it for long.

Any thoughts anyone?
Martin Gathard at Sennheiser UK is the real Neumann microphone guru in the UK.

I would talk to him first.

There is also Ashley Styles at Saturn Sound, but it can take a long time with him, I am told (maybe longer than Klaus in Germany).

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear maniac

No "microphone guru" can address the marginal noise floor of a stock U87. The reason? Its capsule polarization voltage (44VDC) is woefully low- dictated by the DIN phantom power standard (48VDC).

The U87 model, introduced in 1967, predates later models with DC-to-DC converter, which pumps up the supply voltage to 60VDC- the level the K87 capsule was originally designed for.

So, as long as you keep the mic's electronics stock (your expressed desire), you will have to live with the relatively low s/n and head room the U87 is notorious for.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

...great info Klaus!...thanks for an explanation that a layman can comprehend...

Sent from my SPH-M820
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
No "microphone guru" can address the marginal noise floor of a stock U87. The reason? Its capsule polarization voltage (44VDC) is woefully low- dictated by the DIN phantom power standard (48VDC).

The U87 model, introduced in 1967, predates later models with DC-to-DC converter, which pumps up the supply voltage to 60VDC- the level the K87 capsule was originally designed for.

So, as long as you keep the mic's electronics stock (your expressed desire), you will have to live with the relatively low s/n and head room the U87 is notorious for.
It's good of you to chime in Klaus - much appreciated.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search