Cranesong STc-8 and Millennia TCL-2
New Reply
Subscribe
Lakeside
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Head

Cranesong STc-8 and Millennia TCL-2

I have the two compressors and the Millennia gets a lot of use. I love it! Mostly with slow attacks (20-50) and slower release. I use it for upward compression to create depth in the mix and to glue the reverbs in a warm firm way.

The Cranesong however is of course very different. My intention was to use it after the TCL to squeeze out an extra dB or two. I have done some parallel compression on various busses with great results. Sometimes I use it on vocals or whatever mono source that needs it. But it I haven't found its best area of work yet. I find it useful for transparent downward compression but not to the extent that I can't live without it. I am most likely not using it the way I should.When ever I play around with it I get the feeling its intended for rock and pop or to make dull sources sound snappy and in your face, which is the exact opposite of what I am usually aiming for. I want depth, warmth and I feel that it brightens the mix slightly and reduce the depth by bringing everything forward. I admit I am not a veteran on compressors. Any recommendations on how to make the STC become my new wow factor?

I forgot to mention that I work primarily with acoustic music. Jazz, folk, classical etc.

Thanks!
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
The Cranesong however is of course very different.

I feel that it brightens the mix slightly and reduce the depth by bringing everything forward.
That's different than my experience with it. I've never heard it brighten anything. Everything I use it on, it shaves a touch off the top, and makes things a little less bright, and a little warmer.

Also, reducing depth and bringing things forward - I mean, isn't that what you expect a compressor to do? The more you clamp down, the less dynamic range there is, and the low level stuff is brought forward...

What settings are you using? There are quite a few different ways to use it.

Mychal
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
Completely different units. The Crane Song is maybe one of the the most flexible generally transparent sounding compressors (although the Foote P3S will give it a big run for the money). The TCL-2 is a high quality transparent comp, but not nearly as flexible as the Crane Song IME.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear maniac

Completely different units. The Crane Song is maybe one of the the most flexible generally transparent sounding compressors (although the Foote P3S will give it a big run for the money). The TCL-2 is a high quality transparent comp, but not nearly as flexible as the Crane Song IME.

+1

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search