Old 3rd February 2013
Gear addict

Royer 121 in MS

I want to try the MS mic technique on piano and was thinking of using a Royer 121 for the 'side' and a Km84 for the mid. With the reverse side of this mic being brighter, is it suitable for MS or should I try something that has a more balanced figure of 8 pattern?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear addict

I've done this from time to time it works well.

Give it a shot.
Old 3rd February 2013
member no 666

It will work fine -- the back side of the 121 is only brighter when used close up [like on a guitar amp] due to what's known as the "proximity effect" [the back is really brighter, the front has more bottom... its just easier to say that the back is "brighter"].

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Yep, works well... go for it!
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
It will work fine -- the back side of the 121 is only brighter when used close up [like on a guitar amp] due to what's known as the "proximity effect" [the back is really brighter, the front has more bottom... its just easier to say that the back is "brighter"].

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
Very curious! I have specifically avoided using a Royer 121 in this application because of the differences in sound in each side. I'll have to give it a go some time soon! Thank you Fletcher.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear addict

Thanks for the replies everybody. One more thing, I've just acquired an Orpheus and I see it has a mid side facility in the control panel. I've never used a mic pre with this function, only copied the side track and flipped the phase in my DAW. I can't find a description in the manual of how this works and I'm probably being dumb. Can anyone enlighten me?!

Steve
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search