Flea 12 and Drums! Placement
New Reply
Subscribe
Hamburg58
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear addict

Flea 12 and Drums! Placement

So I just received a beautiful pair of the Flea 12's today. Only have tested them as overheads in the studio but so far I love them. But wanted to ask a few folks that have used C12's more than I have what sort of miking techniques they're doing with the C12's.

I usually use a pair of M269's or Coles as overheads. With a mono smash mic, usually a U48 right in front of the kit. If it's the M269's then I use a Coles as a smash overhead.

The Coles 4038 and the M269 seem to have a tighter pattern than the C12's do. I know 4038's are bidirectional because they're ribbons. But they're fairly focused also for that reason. I usually use the M269's in cardioid and they're very focused to my ears.

So here's my issue/question. When I set up those said mics as a stereo pair, I usually have them spread like this:

As a pair but closer together. Because of the way the room is shaped, this works out best phase wise.

I tried this with the C12's but it was too much. I felt like I had room mics mixed in with my overheads. So I lowered them which helped. I also tried them in figure 8 which definitely tightened up the image focus wise but frequency wise it was a bit cloudier.

So I ended up with the C12's in a position (cardioid) like figure 1 in this photo:

So the diaphragms are facing the cymbals on their respective sides. This was slightly better. Still adjusting. May try from the rear and a few other techniques. Just trying to get the focus tightened and less room. Anyone have any tips ?

Regardless, these are beautiful sounding mics. I can't wait to try them on a piano later!!
Flea did a fantastic job!

7+1
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
7+1
Lives for gear

Hi,

having a pair of the flea12s. I use these extensively on OHs. As your photo shows..it seems this is very similar if not right on to the way i usually do it. That or Glynn Johns. which depends on the the drummer/music.

I've done plenty of sessions with c12s as OH and the fleas give the same finger print.

They are very open and do collect alot of the kit and some... It might be do to the fact you've been used to using coles and m269s.. which to say the (c12,Flea) is a much more "open "sounding mic. Which might in turn create an illusion to hearing your room through the OHs a little differently? maybe?

p.s. your photo is HUMONGOUS !

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search