Avalon's (Crap) ~-U5. Love

Focusrite Red's (dfegad)

Drawmer's (WTF?)

Millenia's Pres (Boring) ~ True

CLONES!!!!! ~ rofl. I love pompous generalizing
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Gear maniac
+1 for Genelecs...The day I got rid of mine felt like I finally understood how to mix ...Great for listening music though, everything sounds good, even all the crappy demos.

-- Mikko
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alooker View Post
distressors, avalon ad2055 and ultimation!
I was contemplating picking up a Distressor after hearing them mentioned so frequently on Gearslutz, what don't you like about them?
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

If everyone unanimously agreed on everything, our world would be boring. It would also be peaceful, but so painfully boring!
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy Havoc View Post
I was contemplating picking up a Distressor after hearing them mentioned so frequently on Gearslutz, what don't you like about them?
They don't create breakfast or coffee/tea for you in the morning!
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
I mixed with Neve 88r and my mix sounded like sh't, so i got few U47's and re-recorded & re-mixed. Still sounded like sh't. Well, got some 1176's, La2a's, EMT140's etc and it STILL sounded like sh't.

I think all that gear is so over-rated, man. My friend suggested that it might be because the music was sh't and that i cant mix, but i don't think so.
Maybe you should have listened to what the hell you were doing when you "grabbed those U47s" and re-recorded the shit.
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
Maybe you should have listened to what the hell you were doing when you "grabbed those U47s" and re-recorded the shit.
Or maybe you should not take everything so seriously.
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

I was underwhelmed by the U87ai and the SSL Alpha Channel used together.

The u87ai had this high mid bump that was freakin' ugly on my voice. The SSL, well... First of all, it looks like cheap gear, and it's sound is too clean for my taste. It's all about taste afterall...Maybe the combination was the key here, but while the u87ai might sound better through a different mic pre, it's character will not change. It's a no no for me...

If this mic is one of the most popular mics around, we're probably not talking about the ai version (I have never heard older versions but general consensus seems to be that they're "warmer") because I can't see how this mic would fit the bill for an all around mic in a studio. This high mid bump is really nasty! Especially if you have a high pitched voice like me!

But you know, while we're at it, I really don't like the appearance of SSL gear in general, feels cheap. It's not, I know, but it looks so. It matters to me so I guess I'm superficial, but when you have the choice...

On the TLM103,

I have found the TLM 103 to be very bright and nice for THAT kind of acoustic guitars but I would not use it on my voice and on anything really unless I have no choice. (actually, the u87ai was also nice for acoustic guitars for this reason)

I can understand why it sells though. It's neumann and it's bright, so people who have never played with real high end mics will instantly think their stuff sounds better, especially in this world of extreme stratospheres of high frequencies. BUT. I don't see it as incredibly bad for a first mic, when bought used at reasonable price...
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
003 Pro tools (telephone sounds better)

I guess thats it.
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly, I would have paid double for it to have Focusrite build it correctly.
Unfortunately, not too many people felt that way...which is why they stopped making the Red stuff as I understand it.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy Havoc View Post
I've always wanted to like them but whenever I've used them there's been something else better in the rack...

Take everything you hear on GS with a pinch of salt, including my opinion!
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear nut

Avalon 737
AKG 414
nas
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
nas
Lives for gear

Avalon 737
ADAM monitors - instant migraine
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Distressor (British Mode) I know. I'm the only one!
No you're not! I love the Distressor, but never find myself leaving the British Mode engaged. What is that button supposed to be emulating/in-the-spirit-of?

Last edited by overeasy; 19th January 2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: incorrect tense
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
API2500!!

Got one. Hate it.

Never use it!!
Why? Im interested in buying one. What do you use now?
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
I sold my Neve Portico 5043, not because I hated it, but because I wanted something with color and character. The 5043 seemed to be a fairly clean, musical gain box.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

AMEK Neve Pure Path CIB - nothing special about the mic pre, compressor was far below expectations, and the while the Eq was good and clean, not enough to justify keeping it just for that.

Avalon 737 - nothing special about the mic pre and the compressor was crap

Summit Audio MPC-100A - Decent and clean mic pre, but no mojo. And the compressor was utter crap. After I got my first API 512C, I dumped the MPC-!00A on ebay the next day.

Eventide DSP4500 - While I still have and use it on every project, I had much higher expectations for it's DSP performance.

Tube-Tech CL2A - Bought it years ago on the hype and assurance it was a dual channel CL1B . Nope. Has very little to no mojo that I was expecting out of it. Need to make room for some other stuff so it will be up for sale soon.

dbx 160X - Ok, not really high end gear per say, and while it can still be mildly useful, they way it cuts off the high end was always a disappointment and meat it had to go.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Vitalizer
Drawmer 1960
Summit EQs
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Gear addict

the avalon vt747 stereo compressor/eq, what a waste of money that was.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

One man's junk is another man's treasure.I have owned stuff that I sold that I never even tried.I bought
it to fill a gap in my mouse trap,and sold it to upgrade before I got to use it.I get good deals on gear in this forum from people who think,if I only had this or that my mixes would be better,because of something they read on here.
20-30 years ago most of the equipment being discussed would have been awesome to own.

When I read a post where someone was complaining about Neve 88 series that about took the cake.

I was a single digit handicap golfer for years,and while I did have good equipment,I was not always changing my gear to improve my game.After I had the gear that was right for me,very few changes after that for years.
But I was always seeing others who would.Not saying I didn't upgrade stuff when new technology surpassed the old,like maybe a new driver or putter,but practice and playing all the time is what kept my game,not the gear.Enough said.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Head

Portico preamps.. Yuck
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Gear nut

The one thing mentioned more than anything in this entire thread is the "dfegad". I therefore will not be purchasing one!

(if only I knew what it is.........) ahhhh old age
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Vitalizer
Drawmer 1960
Summit EQs
though i like Drawmer products in general, i must agree with the 1960.

Don't mind Summit EQs at all though, and we have a several well kept Pultecs in the same rack. cheers.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Head

Not high end, but the Adam A7X, before the bass port fix. They sounded like I had an airplane propeller in there somewhere. I thought I would like the folded ribbon tweeter, but I found the speakers muddy and lacking mid-range clarity. Replaced them with the Focal CMS 65 and I've never looked back. I've got some serious love for the Focals.

Last edited by kkalnasy; 20th January 2012 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: grammer
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogBob View Post
.... vive la difference.
hell yeah
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Manley VoxBox - The EQ and the compression isn't my thing. Still have the unit.
Lexicon PCM 96 - It is like a toy. Reverbs are lackluster.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas View Post
Avalon 737
ADAM monitors - instant migraine
I listened to some of those at Namm yesterday. They had the whole line up in a stack. Low end seemed punchy, but there is something about the top end that said "glassy power amp".

Then I realized these were all self powered monitors, and that explained it.

The Avalon booth was empty.

There are a sh*tload of cheapo chi-com mics this year, it's the year of cheap mics. Last year it was guitar pedals. Maybe karaoke will come back next year?

Otherwise, same movie, different cast.
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Gear maniac

[QUOTE

I was a single digit handicap golfer for years,and while I did have good equipment,I was not always changing my gear to improve my game.After I had the gear that was right for me,very few changes after that for years.
But I was always seeing others who would.Not saying I didn't upgrade stuff when new technology surpassed the old,like maybe a new driver or putter,but practice and playing all the time is what kept my game,not the gear.Enough said.

]I understand completely. You can't buy a game I played for over thirty years in many tournaments, amatuer and pro level, and loved watching guys with their "Great Big Whatever" hit it all over the planet. Forged blades and lots of practice here Nothing beat putting in the time. Just like mixing. Put the time in and create a great mix!
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear interested

API 525 compressors. I normally like API gear. I have purchased 2 consoles & built up systems with their cards back in the 1970s, but I just don't get the 525. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance as the only thing I used it in was voice but it seemed to either do nothing or squish the sound like an AM radio station....nothing i between.

I also have had poor results with the Spectrasonics Compliter. Mine failed several times and didn't sound that good when it was working.
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Focal CMS50. Had a pair for a few days. Not good. Weird phony 3d sound, I felt like a stereo enhancer was always engaged. User has to install some crappy little piece of plastic in the tweeter? I was a little scared that I'd push it right through the tweeter. Also the little "tool" they provide for removing the protective covers... scary. Curious design. People sure seem to like the 65s tho!

U87ai. Just not a high end sound. Disappointing. I have cheap condensers that sound as good or better.

Yamaha M7CL. I actually love everything about it except... the way it sounds. (And no I haven't tried it with a good clock. I would hope that a $20k console wouldn't need upgrades right out of the gate to sound good.)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search