Login / Register

Hardware That Will Do What PSP VintageWarmer/MixSaturator Does?
New Reply
Subscribe
bengo
4th August 2006
Old 4th August 2006
Gear interested

Hardware That Will Do What PSP VintageWarmer/MixSaturator Does?

Ok so here's a slightly absurd question, but I love the sound of the PSP Vintage Warmer so much, on the master buss especially, and being a gear*****, I was wondering what hardware I'd need to replicate that sound, or to do it better? "Mastering First Aid" is such a genius go-to mix fixer. Similarly, the PSP MixSaturator, both the preamp1 and bigbass settings (on drum buss especially) are just fantastic.

Are these replicating tape? Or what? I've certainly not found a simple compressor that will do what they do.

And while I'm asking, the DiscoDSP Thrillme compressor/exciter on drum room sound: my goodness me. What a sound. The algorithm is so cheap and old, it makes no sense, but it's fantastic, not really like an SPL Vitaliser/Aphex exciter. If I could improve on that in hardware I'd be a very happy man.

Sorry if these are slightly lame questions. Obviously it's a bit backwards coming forwards to try and replicate software in hardware, and I should just be grateful for having all this in my laptop and leave it at that... maybe spend my money on a holiday or something instead... leave the playroom occasionally... get some daylight... etc.

Last edited by bengo; 4th August 2006 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: sweary
4th August 2006
Old 4th August 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to lpkyer
buy a good preamp, eq and compressor...it'll do 10x better what the warmer the does!! By t he way, I was also a fan of this plugin, very useful.

EDIT: Get the Chandler Germanium.
4th August 2006
Old 4th August 2006
Lives for gear

Get a tape machine.
4th August 2006
Old 4th August 2006

The Fatso certainly comes to mind...
5th August 2006
Old 5th August 2006
Lives for gear

The Vintage Warmer does so much that I think you should be more specific.

I don't really feel that the VW does tape emulation that well. I don't know why they settled on Vintage Warmer for the name.

To me it rules for the multi-band compression + EQ. The closest I've heard to the VW is the TubeTech SMC2A Multiband compressor.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search