Nice EQ for tracking
New Reply
Subscribe
tha]-[acksaw
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Nice EQ for tracking

Having used both hardware EQ's and Compressorrs before hitting the A/D, I've kinda found that I personally rely on the EQ more then the compressor. Don't get me wrong. I love a little compressor for some light reduction. I feel less is more, during trackin. And often, midrage hardware compressors don't act very nice. But, fixing/enhancing EQ makes life easier down the road...

Can anyone suggest some nice EQ's for tracking post the mic pre. I've been using the JoeMeel Twin Q for all sorts of stuff. And I'm not even really using the compressor at all. But the Meekqulizer is amazing sounding. Very musical, and I'n really loving it.

Any two channel EQ's out there that everyone is really loving right now. Once I'm in the box, I like to stay there, so I'm really looking for something I can use before I hit the A/D. Something to really help fix/color/expamd my mic and preamp before it hits digital.

Thanks for the feedback fellow slutz. And cheers to working audio on the Friday night!!!!!
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

There are so many, really. My advice: Get a 500-series rack or lunch-box and audition some units. Whether you're looking for color and tone—or to fix problems, or both—there is a range of possibilities.

Just a few I like when tracking...

Neve 1073/1081 - style
API 500a/b
Purple TAV
Avedis E27 (you'll have to find one used, as they are no longer made)

...but there are just so many.

Best of luck.

"The aspiration to truth is more precious than its assured possession."
— Gotthold Lessing (1729-1781)

www.fugitivesounds.org
tha]-[acksaw
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback so far. You guys rock!!!
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to Sweetsaulmusic
And one that dont make strange things on the high mids when you hi- pass filter the sub rumble???
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
+1 on the API setup!
Love the API 550b for tracking drums and electrics, anything "pointy"...
The Purple TAV has been winning out lately in my frame.
Its just So sweet and natural, effortless in all directions
I also have a ODD 4-band which is just as nice as the TAV, but a little less versatile I think. Simpler.

You might also check out the Great River Harrison 32EQ. This thing is a beauty for tracking because its extremely non-deforming and natural sounding. Softer and Low in artifacts, and zero smear. Nice amount of tone, and the Filters are INSANELY transparent sounding.

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
tha]-[acksaw
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
+1 on the API setup!
Love the API 550b for tracking drums and electrics, anything "pointy"...
The Purple TAV has been winning out lately in my frame.
Its just So sweet and natural, effortless in all directions
I also have a ODD 4-band which is just as nice as the TAV, but a little less versatile I think. Simpler.

You might also check out the Great River Harrison 32EQ. This thing is a beauty for tracking because its extremely non-deforming and natural sounding. Softer and Low in artifacts, and zero smear. Nice amount of tone, and the Filters are INSANELY transparent sounding.
Thanks for the feedback Doc. I share a workhorse 500 with a friend, but we have it all filled up with preamps. I think it's time I got one of my own!!!
AB3
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
AB3
Lives for gear

Depends what you want to do. For instance if you are looking for a great high pass and low pass - the Bax Eq works great.

If you are looking to add high end to ribbon mics - consider the AEA RPQ or a Hammer Eq.

If you are doing sculpting - that can get a little dangerous during IMHO.

Cheers,
AB
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm all for a little eq while tracking - no substitute for the right mic in the right place capturing the right tone but even when you've achieved all of that they still have to fit into a mix with everything else which usually requires eq. I usually don't eq vocals or bass for fear of painting myself into a corner but drums and guitars I eq all the time - makes for better playback and monitoring for the band while tracking and easier mixing.

I do a lot of tracking on an SSL console and I have to say that the flexibility of their eq's makes it really easy to get the sound you want on the way in very quickly and pretty unobtrusively. I like the API 550A and B for guitars but for me the fixed frequencies and 2db steps don't offer enough control for drums when I'm specifically trying to find the attack and the primary resonance of the drum and pull out some junk in between.

Bang for the buck, I'm loving my Arensel (now JDK audio) R24 and they are mighty flexible. And, of course, any 1073/1081 style eq will do the trick quite nicely. If I was going to eq vocals on the way in, I'd go for a Pultec style eq where you can just add or subtract gentle lifts in the highs or lows without affecting the sound too much and save mid-range tweaking for the mix.

Whether you do it in tracking or mixing, never underestimate the power of a simple hi-pass filter - for me, just getting used to setting the filter to not capture any unwanted lower frequencies on individual sources goes a long way towards taking care of the lower mid-range mud that can be troublesome to sort out in a mix and makes for a more defined low end right from the start.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Massive passive
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear nut

I really like my API 5500 for tracking. It is a dual mono eq and allows 0,5 up to 2 db steps. Great low end and mid tot high mids. And the great thing is it works just as fine come mixing time! Easy recall with it stepped controls!

Studio peggy51
www.peggy51.nl
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear nut

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Trident 80b rackmount channel strips. They're a little pricy, but that EQ can't be beat! It's very musical for sure. Plus you get a nice mic amp along with it. I think they just dropped the price to around $1000 / channel.

UNPROCESSED DRUM SAMPLES FOR AUDIO PROS
www.roomsound.com
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Along with the options mentioned, you might want to look at the Alta Moda AM25's. They are really transparent and flexible tone-shapers that won't eat your transients or f with your tone. Also they are dirt cheap.

I also have 32eq's, which are very smooth and musical, with a little tone imparted. I tend to slightly prefer the AM25's on drums and guitars, and 32eq's on most other stuff.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

siemens 295 series... big sweeps of color, always sounds good.
SRS
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel V View Post
I really like my API 5500 for tracking. It is a dual mono eq and allows 0,5 up to 2 db steps. Great low end and mid tot high mids. And the great thing is it works just as fine come mixing time! Easy recall with it stepped controls!
Second the 5500 recommendation. VERY flexible and used for tracking and mix. It has a hard-wire bypass, so if you don't want it in, just bypass it on tracking, or patchbay it out. If you know what you typically like to EQ in or out, then dial it in with the 55 hundy and smile all the while, cause it has great sound/vibe.

As far as Doc's recommendation for the GR Harrison 32EQs... I used them for a good while and found the adjustments too touchy for tracking use, especially the filters. They would go from 0-60 with the slightest of turn on the knob. Great sounding EQs though.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
I usually don't eq vocals or bass for fear of painting myself into a corner but drums and guitars I eq all the time - makes for better playback and monitoring for the band while tracking and easier mixing.
Lots of cool stuff in your post.

I haven't liked eqing vocals on the way in, but what you said makes me want to try eqing drums during tracking next time. I could probably do it with my gml 8200 on the bd and snare. Although I'm nervous about eqing anything during tracking, and I'm not crazy about putting more gear in the signal path.

Mychal
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search