Bryston 2B LP PRO?
New Reply
Subscribe
satisfaction2009
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

Bryston 2B LP PRO?

I just got this thinking it's an LP Pro version - can anyone here confirm? Seller isn't sure. The unit only says is 2B, no "LP" marking. From what I understand, if its a 1u 2B, then it's an LP, and if it has gain knobs and XLR, it's a Pro. But does anyone know if maybe there are somehow regular 2Bs that are 1u out there floating around?

Anyone know how old this unit might be, telling from the design and serial number?

I'm just worried that what I got is going to be way off spec from other 2BLP Pro models.

satisfaction2009
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

ehhh.... it looks so different from this.

or this....

:/
satisfaction2009
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
AFAIK, that looks like a 2BLP. It's not a "Pro" if it doesn't have XLR connectors or variable gain. You will have to check this. AFAIK, the original 2B (not LP) was a 2 unit rack space without heat sinks on the face plate (just a flat face plate).

If you need to confirm for a transaction, just call Bryston in Canada with the serial number. They will tell you exactly what it is and when it was built.
Those aren't XLR inputs on the back? Then what are they? aren't those gain knobs on the front?
satisfaction2009
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

Found another one like it.... it's labeled a 2B-Pro..... no "LP?"

Did they make 1u non-LP 2B units?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

I'm pretty sure the "LP" means low profile, and refers to all the 1RU versions of this amp. If it has XLRs, it's "PRO".

As for age, I have one in my office that has serial number 201792. I bought it used, out of a club, in 1990, and I think it was installed there c. 1985.

BTW, it stays on 24/7 and still works flawlessly. We've got a bunch of them at work powering studio headphones that have been on pretty much continuously since the studio was built in 1985, and they're also fine.

These have evolved over the years, with different locations for the volume controls (the oldest ones are located in the centre panel rather than on the channel card), and I think the newest ones are rated at 60 W/Ch. rather than just 50. At some point they changed the input circuit that balances the XLRs from an IC based one to discrete high voltage transistors.

What are these worth, BTW? I have another one that a buddy keeps bugging me to sell him. I don't want to gouge him, but I don't want to give it away either.

GTD

Last edited by cbc6403; 30th December 2012 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: Typo on the serial number.
satisfaction2009
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc6403 View Post
I'm pretty sure the "LP" means low profile, and refers to all the 1RU versions of this amp. If it has XLRs, it's "PRO".

As for age, I have one in my office that has serial number 201792. I bought it used, out of a club, in 1990, and I think it was installed there c. 1985.

BTW, it stays on 24/7 and still works flawlessly. We've got a bunch of them at work powering studio headphones that have been on pretty much continuously since the studio was built in 1985, and they're also fine.

These have evolved over the years, with different locations for the volume controls (the oldest ones are located in the centre panel rather than on the channel card), and I think the newest ones are rated at 60 W/Ch. rather than just 50. At some point they changed the input circuit that balances the XLRs from an IC based one to discrete high voltage transistors.

What are these worth, BTW? I have another one that a buddy keeps bugging me to sell him. I don't want to gouge him, but I don't want to give it away either.

GTD
Hey man thanks for your feedback. Really helps. I'm quite eager to finish my mini studio upgrade. cant wait to hear the improvement, coming from my previous setup which consisted of a Yamaha RX-V659 home theater receiver. pft lol. not exactly pro audio.

so i was debating on either two bridged 2BLPPROs or one 4BPRO... plan on running a near field setup through an RME Babyface>Bryston amp> AV123 ELT525M Ninja Master speakers.

But if you're saying there could be a balancing circuit difference between newer/older 2BLPPro models, maybe I should just forgo trying to find two similar LPs and just go with the 4b?

I wonder what the difference would be like heat/weight wise? And more importantly, sound wise? Would I really need 200w + on monitors using only a 5 inch woofer and tweeter?

The one I claimed was $345. Another one recently went for $399. I think anything between $300 and $400 is generally the going price for the older units. The most recent 2BLPPros are worth quite a bit more.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

It's probably simpler just to run your monitors off the 4B. IIRC, in addition to the main monitors, we've got a 4B running the nearfields, and then a 2BLP for Auratones. As long as you're not clipping anything, you're unlikley to damage either the speakers or the amps. And as long as it gets loud enough, you'll be fine.

A 4B weighs about 50 lbs. I haven't weighed one, but I suspect a 2BLP is less than half that, so there might be a slight size and weight advantage, but not all that much.

Geoff
satisfaction2009
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Head

50 lbs.... man.... wonder if my RTA Producer Station would be able to handle that in the rack?

^someone else's desk. maybe i'm under-estimating its sturdiness? seems like it'd be leveraging down a lot on the mounting rails...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search