Login / Register

Lynx Aurora 16 still the only serious choice ?
New Reply
Subscribe
Immersion
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Lynx Aurora 16 still the only serious choice ?

I am building a studio. For the upper high end Lynx aurora 16 is still on the only choice ?
Why I am asking is cause it is an old product with a quite high price tag.
Hopefully the converters are worth it.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012

Aurora 16 has never been claimed to be the only choice. It's a good choice for low cost but high performance. Definitely not the best but very good for the money. THAT was always their selling point. A check on any gear sales site will show you the various options out there.....
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

What is the rest of your setup ?

Audio interface already present ?

Computer setup?

Existing hardware etc etc ?

Just to get an idea of all that and then see what fits it best
The above "words" are the ramblings of a depraved megalomaniac.Any similarity to normal communication is a hallucination on the part of the reader.Replying to this post will result in your Wife, family and posessions including any audio equipment you may own becoming the property of funkynuts.
Immersion
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkynuts View Post
What is the rest of your setup ?

Audio interface already present ?

Computer setup?

Existing hardware etc etc ?

Just to get an idea of all that and then see what fits it best
I am looking for the best sound for the buck but at the same time with no compromise.

I have the new Trident HG3 monitors, and I am going to buy the dangerous audio Source monitor controller.

I plan to buy the Phenoix audio DRS-8 pre amp for my studio.
Eventide H8000fw for effects (when I can afford it)
and Kemper amp for guitar and bass.

and I had thought about Lynx aurora 16 for the sound interface cause it seem to be the easy choice. But people are already saying that the Lynx aurora is "cheap" so I guess..the price tag it has..I can't go much under if I want a non-compromise solution with good converters.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012

the very recent RME converters are good (not the older ones - they are cheap and good value - but not "good"). So is just about the entire Apogee range. Lynx still a great choice for the money.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

When you say very high end, that can be very subjective. To some, the price of a Lynx is very high end. To others a JCF is just hitting the high end mark. If you have Lynx money, then auditioning what ever is in that price range is smart. The field is so wide nowadays and the SOUND varies big time. I've heard most of them and they are all fantastic. But I made a choice according to my ears, then my pocket.
Immersion
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
the very recent RME converters are good (not the older ones - they are cheap and good value - but not "good"). So is just about the entire Apogee range. Lynx still a great choice for the money.
I have an RME HDSPe besides good drives the sound is not good on this card in my opinion. Yeah I assume their converts is getting better. Woud love to hear how they compare with Lynx.

The bottom line is I do not want anything worse then Lynx sonically. I want the same sonic sound quality. I feel if I reach the aurora quality I am satisfied cause I know how many big studious who are using them..and probably for a good reason.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

The Lynx Aurora converters are a tremendous value considering all the i/o and flexibility you get. I think they sound excellent, especially at higher sample rates (88.2k and up). Are they the best/no compromise converters on the market, absolutely not. That being said, I have Aurora 16's that get used on nearly every session and they have never been the source of a bad sound.

You'll see a lot of opinions about converters. Apogee, Lynx, Burl, Avid, Radar, Black Lion, etc.... I suppose they all have their own little bit of sound they impart on the recorded source.

In the end, get the best that you can afford that is a compatible and bullet-proof option for your setup. I feel like once you are at this level of converter, the converter stays out of the way. In the 4-5 yrs of owning my Aurora 16's, I've never noticed them ruining a great sound and I've never noticed them improving a bad sound. Get the sound right at the source and you'll stop thinking about the converters. My $.02

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com
Immersion
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTGUY View Post
When you say very high end, that can be very subjective. To some, the price of a Lynx is very high end. To others a JCF is just hitting the high end mark. If you have Lynx money, then auditioning what ever is in that price range is smart. The field is so wide nowadays and the SOUND varies big time. I've heard most of them and they are all fantastic. But I made a choice according to my ears, then my pocket.
Yes I understand what you mean, it is all relative. For me, Lynx aurora's sonic sound quality and price is what I find "enough" , I would love to know what other products which can can compare with the same sound quality and sonic quality of the converters. If the price is lower it does not hurt as long as it is not compromising the sound, the Lynx aurora sound quality is what I want to reach, cause I know that quality is enough for sure.

Lynxa aurora is an old product, when was it released ?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

It might be worth waiting for the first reviews of the Antelope Orion. Same price, 32 Channels :-)
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

I've done lots of tracking with the SSL Alpha Link and lots of mixing from tracks that were captured with Aurora 16 and 8.

Both sound fine...
Immersion
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundpost View Post
It might be worth waiting for the first reviews of the Antelope Orion. Same price, 32 Channels :-)
The warning bells are allready ringing when I hear 32 channels, I do not want to pay for quantity I rather have fewer channels and better quality.
16 channels is enough for me for sure
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Ok, but why would you assume a brand new 32 channel converter sounds worse than an older 16 channel one? I thought you wanted to investigate what your options are? It might be wise to at least check it out before dismissing it as worse than the one you are eyeballing. Just trying to make you aware of other choices. By the way: Antelope is not known for its shitty conversion :-)
Immersion
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundpost View Post
Ok, but why would you assume a brand new 32 channel converter sounds worse than an older 16 channel one? I thought you wanted to investigate what your options are? It might be wise to at least check it out before dismissing it as worse than the one you are eyeballing. Just trying to make you aware of other choices. By the way: Antelope is not known for its shitty conversion :-)
Yes you are right I will of course look it up, I consider everything I am just saying that the warning bells are ringing. There is a lot of products out there which compete with most features and functions, rather then sonic sound quality, it is much harder to compete in that end of the spectrum.

if there was 16 channel version for lower price it would be better for instance. But yeah if they are on par with lynx aurora converters it is indeed more for the money which is good. But in this price range we are talking about such subtle differences sonically, I do not want a product that is "similar" to the lynx converts, I want a product that actually "match" or go beyond the aurora converters.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Newer with converters often meant better in past product rollouts but it still boils down to the individual unit as some here think the old Radars are still one of the best sounding converters out there. It would be foolish not to examine all the canidates that fit your needs. Speaking of needs you have yet to list your specific needs, that is how you get to a short list of which converter/interface offerings will work for you in the first place. How many tracks will you be recording at the same time? At what sample rate? Into what DAW software? Will you be mixing in the box (ITB)? Will you be using hardware inserts for rack gear during mixing and if so how many channels (Hybrid)? Will you be using an analog mixer and if so how many channels will the DAW be feeding it at mixdown (Hybrid)? What computer(s) do you have and do they have available PCIe slots? Do they have available PCI slots? Are you looking for a transparent converter or a colored converter? What is your budget?

Start by posting answers to those questions and then others can help you list the converters/interfaces to look at. You have started the whole process at the wrong end. If instead you just want info on the Aurora then there are plenty of past posts regarding it, just use search (hint: per users postings it's a colored converter that sounds better at 88.2k/96k sample rate).
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Lynx Aurora 16, SSL MX series, RME QS or Madi series, Antelope Orion, DirectOut Technologies, etc. All of these brands/models are viable and worthy candidates. 32 channel operation is not what you should be concerned about; transparent and accurate conversion, good value-for-money and a well-rounded feature-set should be your focus. (The Lynx Aurora I use, is actually set up for 32 channel simultaneous i/o - 16 analog + 16 AES - in it's advanced routing mode, attached to an RME Madi PCIe card via a Madi L-Slot card). I have used and still use the Lynx, the RME Adi8QS, the Mytek 8x192, and a Euphonix AM 713. All of these are in the same ballpark, and as others have mentioned, if you cannot do good work with this level of conversion, then it is not the fault of the converter. Be practical and logical in your purchasing decisions and do not fall for the hyperbole at either end of the gearslutz praise vs hate discussion spectrum. All of these converters work admirably well. Cheers, George.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Sure, I know what you mean. I have been looking for a converter for quite some time now. I also figured the Aurora was the bottom line. And even though the Orion has more channels, it might actually be better sounding than the Aurora. Or worse. Who knows? As a matter of fact: I am getting one next week. I am in desperate need of a converter and was offed an 'early bird' kinda deal which I couldn't pass on. I decided to take the plunge and order it. So I can let you know what I think after it gets here. I wouldn't be able to compare it to anything though, so I'm not sure how useful that would be...
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

You will still be able to provide valuable info without having anything else to compare it to. You will be able to compare a round trip through the converter to the direct monitered live sound and be able to tell us if it's more of a transparent or more of a colored converter. You will be able to tell us what it's true latencies are. You will be able to tell us how it's software mixer functions. You will be able to tell us if it's sound changes at different sample rates and if so what sample rate you prefer.

While we all are waiting for a much needed converter shootout to happen there is still plenty of "user in the trenches with the unit" info you can provide.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Studios View Post
Be practical and logical in your purchasing decisions and do not fall for the hyperbole at either end of the gearslutz praise vs hate discussion spectrum. All of these converters work admirably well. Cheers, George.
Agreed.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
You will still be able to provide valuable info without having anything else to compare it to. You will be able to compare a round trip through the converter to the direct monitered live sound and be able to tell us if it's more of a transparent or more of a colored converter. You will be able to tell us what it's true latencies are. You will be able to tell us how it's software mixer functions. You will be able to tell us if it's sound changes at different sample rates and if so what sample rate you prefer.

While we all are waiting for a much needed converter shootout to happen there is still plenty of "user in the trenches with the unit" info you can provide.
Sure. I'll see what I can do :-)
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

depending upon what your needs are, I am a few months into recording with an RME ufx and am really really happy with the unit, sounds incredibly, incredibly, incredibly good. At the tie I purchased it the only other box under consideration was an aurora lynx. Completely, in every way, satisfied with the decision with no regrets. In the end, lynx might be "better" but the the rme is a good good sounding box.

https://www.facebook.com/AwesomeTran...plifierCompany
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Studios View Post
Lynx Aurora 16, SSL MX series, RME QS or Madi series, Antelope Orion, DirectOut Technologies, etc. All of these brands/models are viable and worthy candidates. 32 channel operation is not what you should be concerned about; transparent and accurate conversion, good value-for-money and a well-rounded feature-set should be your focus. (The Lynx Aurora I use, is actually set up for 32 channel simultaneous i/o - 16 analog + 16 AES - in it's advanced routing mode, attached to an RME Madi PCIe card via a Madi L-Slot card). I have used and still use the Lynx, the RME Adi8QS, the Mytek 8x192, and a Euphonix AM 713. All of these are in the same ballpark, and as others have mentioned, if you cannot do good work with this level of conversion, then it is not the fault of the converter. Be practical and logical in your purchasing decisions and do not fall for the hyperbole at either end of the gearslutz praise vs hate discussion spectrum. All of these converters work admirably well. Cheers, George.
The Antelope seems like the one to beat these days. Their first 'low cost' convertor, and given their success with the Eclipse and other convertors, we are all eagerly awaiting hearing it! Metric Halo always seemed decent quality as well, but both it and the Lynx are almost 10 years old [certainly from the design phase]. Quality conversion is HIGHLY dependent on the design of the analogue circuitry, ps, and clocking, as there are only a few high end a>d/d>a chips sets out there these days. Antelope are known for their clocks.

Best-
Jonathan
PO Box 2914
Wimberley, TX 78676
jonathan@fingerprintaudio.com

29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

The thing is with converters/interfaces there just isn't a "best" or "the one to beat", in fact the Antelope isn't even in the hands of users yet. So get past all the marketing and this is what I have, get this posts and start the process of determining your needs first by answering all the above posted questions. We have yet to have any large converter shootout and additionally converters fall into two camps, transparent and colored making them even tougher to compare apples to apples. Make a short list based on your needs and budget first, then determine what is best for you from all the options on that list.

One of these days after some major blind shootouts we may have converter/interfaces rated on a scale of transparent to colored. We may have colored ones rated as to most pleasing sounding. We may have their software rated with true latencies under full load. However today we don't have that info and for the most part comparisons are fairly tough.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlepaas View Post
if you were considering the lynx, apogee has a clearance sale on now

https://store.apogeedigital.com/stor...clearance-sale

...16x refurbished for 1250 is pretty awesome, and i happen to like the sound of the 16x over the lynx..
Those are phenomenal prices. An AD16X/DA16X setup with either the Symphony 64 PCIe card, or the soon to be released Thunderbridge interface for around $3500 is an absolute steal. I'd choose that over the Lynx Aurora 16 any day of the week.

Also, the Symphony I/O cards are half price as well. You could snag 2 of either an 8x8I/O w/AES, or the 8x8I/O w/Optical for $2K and find a used (or new, or refurb) Symphony I/O chassis and have a 16x16 setup for about the price of a Aurora 16 or slightly more (on USB,mind you).

Or you can mix and match ... Say for example, a Universal Audio Apollo DUO Interface (has some very cool features, DSP, ect..), and pick up one of the refurbished Rosetta800's. Come in to the Apollo via ADAT for 8 more channels of I/O and attach your DRS-8 to the Rosetta. Easily a match for the Lynx in the conversion department, and you get some very usable preamps, access to signal processing on the input for tracking via UAD Plugins, a few foldback channels for the control room, low latency monitoring, ect... Pretty versatile system right there.

Anyways, point being there are ton of options out there.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
I have an RME HDSPe besides good drives the sound is not good on this card in my opinion. Yeah I assume their converts is getting better. Woud love to hear how they compare with Lynx.

The bottom line is I do not want anything worse then Lynx sonically. I want the same sonic sound quality. I feel if I reach the aurora quality I am satisfied cause I know how many big studious who are using them..and probably for a good reason.
is that recent stuff?

I was really only referring to their rack and half rack units. Ie converters only - not cards.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

The ssl alphalink is better in my opinion and rather same price, but more channels (24ch I/O per unit).

But the ssl interface (where it works with like a dream) is pc only i thought. On other interfaces it can work, depending the model on aes, madi or adat if i'm right. The apogee is similar in quality as the lynx, but more expensive...

Of course the lynx is good value for money, and you can consider it as hi end. There is much better (Prism/Lavry/Weiss/JFC/...), but mostly at a much higher price per channel. The question is, can you afford it, and do you need it for your buissines.

And a lot of pro recordings are even done with a motu or digi 96 or similar much worse convertors. 99.99% of the listeners won't notice it.... Today most, even really cheap convertors, sound rather good... But we are in the Hi end section.
http://www.urgent.fm
Immersion
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the overhheling amount of replies really helo you, but I thought I should provide more information of what I need. What more thing I like wit the Lynx aurora is that I can use the PCIe AES16 card instead of the usb, for me latency is important since I tend t o use alot of midi instruments, synths and drumpads and so on.
So yeah good latency is important.

I know also many sound interfaces such as Lynx provide ADAT support. So as long as the interface have adat I can use an adat PCIe card such as reme RAYdat for fast latency link from interface to computer.

Also I am a Windows 8 user.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTGUY View Post
When you say very high end, that can be very subjective. To some, the price of a Lynx is very high end. To others a JCF is just hitting the high end mark.
I don't think so really - just because someone has no experience of a certain price range, it doesn't mean their definition of "upper high end" should be lower - it just means their definition isn't correct.

When something like the Burl Mothership or Prism ADA exists (for several times the price of a lynx converter) it's fairly clear that the Lynx isn't "upper high end".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
I think you'd be the first person I've ever heard of to say the sound of an RME is "not good" (well maybe robertshaw, but then he's got pretty weird thoughts all round). Maybe not the best - but "good", certainly. If you're disappointed with this, you're unlikely to be thrilled with any converter upgrade.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

I know I'm interested in the Antelope Orion box. That company doesn't seem to screw around with conversion. So if they're audacious enough to put out a 32 channel A/D/A box for 3k I'm all ears.

There are other choices than the Lynx by the way, and they've pretty much been mentioned on this thread. But if I was in the OP's position I'd seriously consider giving some time to get an Orion in my hands. If that thing works like it's marketed to, it'll put quite a few companies on notice. Judging from the track record of Antelope, I see no reason to suspect it'll be anything less than exceptionally good, except for the fact that no other company has offered so much for so little in this area before (that I know of at least).

https://soundcloud.com/audio-wisdom/sets/demo-reel
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search