New Reply
Subscribe
Morbid_Savage
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Apollo, Fireface or Saffire pro 40

No i accidentally pressed enter before finishing the threads title. I ment:

UAD Apollo, Fireface UFX60 or Focusrite Saffire pro 40 + a great preamp with digital out.

I'm looking for a huge upgrade to my home studio. I own the focusrite pro 40 which i like for the I/O, ut i'd like to know if it's worth to spend the 2K for an apollo or an fireface or should i rather buy an additional pream/channelstrip with a digital interface built in? Anybody, any expirience? I'd also like to know how much different the quality of apollo, fireface vs the focusrite actually is? Is there a major difference in quality of preamps/convertors/monitor outputs and so on?

Thank you!

Last edited by Morbid_Savage; 29th December 2012 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: Accidently submitted without text
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

Again,

This is just my opinion but for a HOME studio, you can't go wrong with the APOLLO... especially the plugins which, as you probably know, you can track with... as far as plugins go... UAD is reknown for their quality plugs and this interface has had nothing but RAVE reviews from the experts. I even saw a video of an entire song tracked with nothing more than the APOLLO. It is AMAZING but the plugs (which you can collect over time) aren't cheap.

Jim

PS - I have a couple of HELIOS Type 69 mic/pre's and was thinking of adding a couple more and 4 Helios type compressors which would have cost me another $7K at least but with the Apollo, I don't need to spend that kind of cash.
Morbid_Savage
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

UAD is of course wellknown for it's hardware emulation, but that doesnt really matter, since i use focusrites liquid mix and if i'd plan to upgrade i'd just buyed an uad pci card. Liquid mix was also greatly received by the press and some wellknown producers advertised it as well. What they didnt mention is that the eq emulations will fail in the low end and screw up your track, but that's a different story.
This upgrade that i plan is not for the home-studio, for which my saffire with a joemeek channel strip is sufficient, but for my main studio which i treat right now. Maybe i should describe the studio and it's goals first: The studio is located in a ww2 shelter, so the isolation from the outside world is obsolet. There are three rooms: Control room, main recording & rehearsing room and a vocal booth as well. The main tasks are: acoustic drum and electric guitar recording, as well as vocal and speech recording.
So i'm interested is it worth to spend the money on apollo or a fireface, rather then spending similar amount of cash for a professional channel strip that would than connected to saffire via adat or spdif. The other thing are the d/a converters. I also want to upgrade my main monitors from the krk vxt8 to ks digital c88. I was told that the saffire's d/a converters are not good enough for the c88. Any thoughts for a possible solution?
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search