Login / Register

Ordering some Focal Twin6 Be's- Can I get away without a sub for a while???
New Reply
Subscribe
Quantum7
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Ordering some Focal Twin6 Be's- Can I get away without a sub for a while???

I'm ordering some Focal Twin6 Be's today, but am a bit concerned if I can make it without a sub....for at least a year until I save up some more moola. I write mostly Soundtrack and New-Age, but still want the low end represented well in my mixes. I'm going for the Twins due to desiring high-end clarity and 3D space. I've read the Twin's do well in the low-end department, but wouldn't mind hearing thoughts from others if I will miss a sub for a year or so.

Thanks!

Sean Christopher Dockery

www.SeanDockery.com

Sean Christopher - New Age composer

www.SeanChristopher.net

Windows 7 & Cubase 7

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I had the Twins without the sub for a couple of years. I thought everything was fine but I always had a bit of a hard time nailing the low end.

Then I tried the sub and suddenly the Twins sounded almost like Auratones without it (I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the idea).

Get the sub!

Estudios Sa da Bandeira
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

PS: I got the CMS sub, I didn't feel the difference to the Sub6 was big enough to justify the price.
Quantum7
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
I had the Twins without the sub for a couple of years. I thought everything was fine but I always had a bit of a hard time nailing the low end.

Then I tried the sub and suddenly the Twins sounded almost like Auratones without it (I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the idea).

Get the sub!
I'm having the same experience with my JBL's. Without the sub they sound cheap.....which they didn't before I ever bought the sub. I think once you use the sub too much your ears become tainted to using the sub. I was told that you should never use the sub when mixing, but only to verify the low-end after the fact. I am hoping that the Twins low-end on it's own should be fine for Soundtrack and New-Age music. The dealer said he would only be pushing me toward the sub if I were doing Hip Hop or Reggae. I still plan on eventually getting the sub, but plan on getting comfortable with the Twins for at least a year first before I introduce the sub....which will then certainly make the Twins sound like a "Auratones" without it.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

You can certainly mix only with the Twins, but the thing is that I like to mix very quietly for the majority of the session and the sub helps to keep the full range at low volumes.
Quantum7
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
You can certainly mix only with the Twins, but the thing is that I like to mix very quietly for the majority of the session and the sub helps to keep the full range at low volumes.
Obrigado!
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I've had the Twins for 6 years & I actually prefer using them without a subwoofer.
I used a sub with them for about 1 year,the JL Audio F-112,which is a great sub & it sounded good but I actually like using the Twins without the sub,I trust this more.
2.8 Quad Intel(2008)MacPro24 gig ram,OSX10.83, DP8.04, RME FF 800,Great River ME-1NV preamp,a few microphones,NI Komplete ,UAD....assorted plugs,VI's... Vdrums (TD20 expanded) Superior2, Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata PowerSnakes and Conditioners,too many hard drives... ESATA
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to andychamp
I never missed a sub with the Twins.
I mainly deal with "standard" mic'd instruments, though.
"Who cares about efficiency, when we're talking about music?" Rupert Neve
"it'll sound different through a microphone, anyway
" Keith Carlock

"no room, no boom!" Michael Wagener
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

I have the Focal Twins. They do represent low, low end pretty well. I do like having a sub though, to turn on after a bit to check whats going on down there. I think you could get by without it for a bit. Then if you need to hear the rumble, you could get the sub later. It's nice to have one bit not totally necessary for me.

Ty Robins
Quantum7
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you all for the info.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have the Twin6 be and love them but using the Sub6 it is definitely helpful to mix a broader range of music. I also like to mix at quieter levels and the Sub6 certainly helps with the low frequency reproduction at quieter levels. I found that to really hear the the exact placement of the lower frequencies on some material I had to drive the Twin6s too much to get them to reproduce those lower frequencies and then I would question their actual levels within the mix.

The Twin6 is a fantastic speaker and we use them along with the Genelec 1030a and the Yamaha NS10m. I would say get the sub...
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've had the twins for years and never missed a sub with them, one of my favorites things about them is how revealing they are in the bottom, so I would say yes you can get away with out a sub for as long as you like.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you all for your comments. I will eventually get the sub, but it is nice knowing that I can get away without it for a while.
Quantum7
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Got my TWINS this evening and am breakin' those bad boys in for 100-150 before I give my final judgement. I have to say that they are the most beautiful monitors I have ever seen in person. It is so nice NOT to have yet another piece of Chinese-made CRAP in my studio.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear nut

Awesome!

Got my twins in December. They are beautiful. Sound incredible. Hope you love em.

Let us know what you think.

Ty
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have the Twins and have never considered a sub.
They are 3-way, so although they can be used with a sub, I'm not sure they were designed to do so.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Not sure they were designed to be used with a sub? The Sub6 I think was actually designed to compliment the Twin6 as a package. Sure the Twin6 rules and does a fine job on the low end but for the lowest of lows, the sub matters to me. I believe that anyone can get away with not using a sub but do you really want to just "get away with it"? Having the footswitch option is also a huge bonus to bypass it when you don't think you need or want to hear it.
Quantum7
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I will eventually get the Focal sub that matches the Twins, but will probably wait until next year when I've recovered from the cost of my Twins.

40 hours of burning in down.....110 to go until mixing ecstasy.

Even in my crappy cell-phone photo, they sure look nice in my home studio.

5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

I've done a few mixes on Twins with no sub that have really beautiful full low end on large systems. They translate well.

It's not the same as a full-range/far-field audiophile/mastering-style setup but I say it's likely easier to not mess with a sub depending on your room.

I always felt they sound way better vertically, by the way. Your picture looks nice but I'd imagine it would sound a bit off to me with the speakers so wide and close. (My room looks horrible but I love the sound.) Vertical orientation should tighten up the imaging substantially.
Quantum7
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post

I always felt they sound way better vertically, by the way. Your picture looks nice but I'd imagine it would sound a bit off to me with the speakers so wide and close. (My room looks horrible but I love the sound.) Vertical orientation should tighten up the imaging substantially.
I don't believe they are too wide, maybe wider than some like. A little closer than I would like, yes, but since I need my display monitors close (bad eyesight) I cannot have the Focals farther back without sound bouncing of my display monitors first. I may try them vertical, but since Focal designed them to be horizontal....and a majority of users seem to like them that way, I would prefer that they stay horizontal.
Quantum7
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

OK, I had to get rid of my dual monitors for now, but my Focals now can be pushed back a little more and moved in. I will still keep messing with it. Can anyone give me recommendations on exact measurements where they should be placed?
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

They look a little bit turned in. I would face them out a little more so the middle of the speaker is right where your ear is at!
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

For adding a sub it depends on what kind of music your mixing. I have mine in a large room and i think they have plenty of low end if the volume is turned up!
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGobe View Post
They look a little bit turned in. I would face them out a little more so the middle of the speaker is right where your ear is at!
Agreed they look a little too toe'd in.
you will hear they are positioned correctly, they will sound right,the speakers will disappear and you will hear the voice or center material jump out like there's a center speaker.
use your ears!
;-)
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

They do look toed in but they still look great in your room!

Once they are broken in I think you will love the way they sound....HUGE difference after the break in period. Same with the Sub6.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013

Yeah the low end is a little light on the Twins imo. A sub can help when mixing but as always YMMV.
Quantum7
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

Loving the Twins so far. I see getting a sub, but probably with next year's music budget. $1800 for the matching Focal sub.....yikes! I compose more New-Age and Soundtrack than anything and so far the Twins seem to be able to handle what I am giving them.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

To be honest I find "expensive" subs to be overrated.
The sub frequencies are mostly felt and don't really need to be as detailed as the rest of the spectrum. In other words, I have a BlueSky cheaper sub that I use with my Focals, sounds great.
I calibrated it by ear to the point they work really well together.
A
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutr2 View Post
To be honest I find "expensive" subs to be overrated.
The sub frequencies are mostly felt and don't really need to be as detailed as the rest of the spectrum. In other words, I have a BlueSky cheaper sub that I use with my Focals, sounds great.
I calibrated it by ear to the point they work really well together.
A
To each his own but.... I find this not to be the case, dampening factor on good amps is a must and really good crossovers and phase control are very useful.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm using Focal Solo 6be no sub in a well treated room 22x14, don't want a sub these are nearfield and have great definition and clarity down there.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search