Login / Register

Monitor Stands for Trident HG3 monitors ?
New Reply
Subscribe
Immersion
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Monitor Stands for Trident HG3 monitors ?

Today My HG3 monitors did arrive, but I have still not decide what monitor stand to buy, it is very hard decision, and I think it is better to take some time to decide the best instead of rush things and buy things.

So far, I have only found two serious alternatives.

The 3 legged Monolith monitor stand, they weigh about 30 kg.

The second alternative is the Zaor isostand, they look light on the picture, but they weigh about 45kg, if it wasn for the high weight I think it would be on the list of monitors stand to consider, cause me and many other seem septic about the spike solution..is it just eye candy ? or does it actually bring good performance ?

Any more recommendations ?
Immersion
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

no one have any recommendations ?
Immersion
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

no one knows ?
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

I just received my white Isostand 40/40 yesterday, but right now I don't have the monitors that are to be used with them! So all I can tell you at the moment is that they arived in some very solid wooden transport boxes from Italy, and that they look great

I can give a better answer in a couple of weeks. Personally though, I wouldn't think that the spikes are terribly important.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Who did you order from, Bjørnar?
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Procom Music in Norway (but they only import those models on special orders, at least for now). I also considered Digital Audio Service, since I have good experiences with earlier purchases from them.
Immersion
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
Procom Music in Norway (but they only import those models on special orders, at least for now). I also considered Digital Audio Service, since I have good experiences with earlier purchases from them.
The science speaks against the use of spike, to many they use spikes because it it looks cool and different, but its performance is questionable.
Unless Zaor really have a good solution to this. It is after all a complex design, but why use spikes that is the question, I have emailed Zaor about it also.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I think the case for spikes is a bit more complicated. You'll find a wide range of answers if you Google it.

Like, there is a difference with spikes coupled to the floor directly or via a rubber-paded carpet.
Some spikes even rest om rubber stands.

Zaor actually cites an article on their site I guess adheres to their philosophy.
Speaker stands - ZAOR recording studio furniture
Immersion
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidar View Post
I think the case for spikes is a bit more complicated. You'll find a wide range of answers if you Google it.

Like, there is a difference with spikes coupled to the floor directly or via a rubber-paded carpet.

Zaor actually cites an article on their site I guess adheres to their philosophy.
Thanks, I have not been reading their philosophy will be very interesting to read, maybe it will convince me
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Also, there are tons of threads here on GZ on "decoupling". Some quite heated . Have fun.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Anyway, the bottom line the way I understand it.

The speaker (driver/cone) is supposed to move and not the cabinet it is seated in. If you place a speaker on top of spikes biting into the floor, the mass of the cabinet will be spread over those spikes, more efficiently coupling it to the mass of the floor. The speaker will have a hard time moving anything but itself.

Consider the Bambi on ice scenario. I.e. spiked boots are more efficient on ice in terms of energy/movement.
Immersion
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I have been reading the philosophy now, I am not sure I did become much wiser after reading that. but it sounds good, but I am also sure that there is people who don't agree with this method. Considering that it is one of the few mass-produced design with spikes like this they need to explain better why they are so superior.
Immersion
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

I asked some other pros on another forum, and according to them the whole article regarding spikes was a total joke and total bullshit, and more a bad excuse to "protect" the usage of spikes and satisfy the HiFi users around the globe who once was fooled that spikes was any good.

The exact same movement energy will be transported with or without the spikes, so the question is to they do more harm then good ? and create further vibration and distortion ?

In best case and what I hope for in this case is that the spikes have no or very minimal effect, and that the 45 kg monitor stand is strong enough to stand on it's on with or without the spikes.

I am very skeptical, especially cause Zaor puts out a product out there but they are very bad at explaining why this solution is so good ?

The question remain if spike was so good, why do we not see them everywhere right now ? spikes is not a new concept.

I do not want to be the victim to buy this product just because of it looks cool and innovative but when it reality is not based on science ? just cool design ?

I do not know..I am no expert..but I still want to know what purpose the spikes fill in these monitors stand, are they there to give "the little extra" or just to look cool..would it be better to put the plate directly on the monitor stand without the spikes ? that is the question.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I am not here to defend that particular article, though I would like to know who these "pros" you speak of are. Perhaps it would be more fruitfull if you had them comment on the particular design of the ISOSTAND.

By now it should be clear to you that there are different opinions towards the use of spikes, what they do and to where they are applied. There is no right and wrong here, only different scenarios.

If you don't trust the ISOSTAND then go for the Monolith, and on the go you could ask Unity why they put spikes in the top-plate from the start when they are all a "total joke" and "bullshit" according to "pros".

Immersion
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not here to defend that particular article, though I would like to know who these "pros" you speak of are. Perhaps it would be more fruitfull if you had them comment on the particular design of the ISOSTAND.

By now it should be clear to you that there are different opinions towards the use of spikes, what they do and to where they are applied. There is no right and wrong here, only different scenarios.

If you don't trust the ISOSTAND then go for the Monolith, and on the go you could ask Unity why they put spikes in the top-plate from the start when they are all a "total joke" and "bullshit" according to "pros".

The thing is, that I have not yet decided yet, I am not sure what to think, and if the isostand really bring something new to the table, or just trying to fool people of it's superiority. I just know that it is hard to find people who speak well about spikes...I like the ISOstand cause it is a very massproduced product it is easy to buy, and I also the fact that it is heavy 45kg, I feel the more weight the more you get for a money in a way...

Soon I will get tired to get convinced about the ISOstand and probably buy the Monolith, cause of lack of only alternatives, I have seen none serious alternatives posted so far. I think a lot of people make their own, fill it with sand and so on.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

They're probably more like 45kg a pair.
Immersion
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
They're probably more like 45kg a pair.
That makes a big difference
if that is so.
Immersion
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I am actually surprised, it my first monitor stand, but I thought it would had been alot easier choice, my HG3 speakers have now been laying unused in 2 days I need to decide soon
Immersion
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I don't know. They don't ring my bell. Also they are on spikes if that was concern. And they are non adjustable.

You shouldnt overthing this really. The designer of the HG3 simply recommends a stand with some rubber pading put between it and the speaker.
Immersion
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know. They don't ring my bell. Also they are on spikes if that was concern. And they are non adjustable.

You shouldnt overthing this really. The designer of the HG3 simply recommends a stand with some rubber pading put between it and the speaker.
You are right, but since I will spend my own hard earned money I want to buy a good stand
with some science behind it..I am always like that when I buy products..that look up the best and the market etc...
before this I knew nothing about monitor stands..
but I had no idea it would be so hard to decide...I thought max..2 days..but problem is not soo much massproduced products out there..there exist plenty but they are very obscure and hard to find etc.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear nut

If anyone has some friends that work in an engineering workshop, here's an alternative.

I made my own stands, used a bit of 10mm plate for the bottom, some 5mm plate for the top and cut 3 bits of rectangular steel tube for the legs of each stand. Got them all welded together, but prior to putting the top on I filled each leg with sand. Once that was sorted I got them powder coated at the local coating place. I worked out the height by measuring my ear height in the chair I use for mixing (it's not likely to change), then used that measurement for the height of the centreline of the speakers. Admittedly, they're not adjustable, but I'm happy with them.

I used spikes on the bottom as I have carpet in the control room and I wanted them to couple with the concrete floor. They weigh a ton, not quite a 2 person lift.

Tim
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Just Another Old Guy

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
I am actually surprised, it my first monitor stand, but I thought it would had been alot easier choice, my HG3 speakers have now been laying unused in 2 days I need to decide soon
Damn, just take the HG3's out of the box, set 'em on some chairs or bar stools or some tall boxes, plug 'em in and listen to them. Then decide if you really need more stuff to make them sound better.

If they're on a hard surface, get a couple of pieces of foam under-carpet padding and see if it actually improves the sound. (A carpet installer will probably give you enough for free.)

A lot of times, these exotic stands are more for the owner's peace of mind, rather than contributing actual sonic improvements.

Manufacturer - MoreMe Studio Headphones

Designer - Trident HG3 Nearfield Monitors & JBL "F" Series Speakers
Trident HG3 Nearfield Monitors
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Damn, just take the HG3's out of the box, set 'em on some chairs or bar stools or some tall boxes, plug 'em in and listen to them. Then decide if you really need more stuff to make them sound better.

If they're on a hard surface, get a couple of pieces of foam under-carpet padding and see if it actually improves the sound. (A carpet installer will probably give you enough for free.)

A lot of times, these exotic stands are more for the owner's peace of mind, rather than contributing actual sonic improvements.
what he said! go for it!
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

My Zaor Isostands sure look nice, but I have no way to test the sound until the speakers are manufactured and delivered. I admit that the Wife Acceptance Factor played a big part in my decision

I noticed that before the screws were properly tightened, the stands resonated at around 8Hz when pushed in the depth/woofer movement direction. The rubber pads beneath the spikes are soft enough to be compressed using finger pressure. With no weight on top, the glass plate had a tiny wobble, but once the pads were compressed with some weight on top, the wobble was gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Monitor Stands for Trident HG3 monitors ?-zaorisostand40white.jpg  
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Sound Anchors are great
A.
Immersion
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post

If you excuse me, I am building a studio from scratch there is a lot of things to think about.

For instance I need to buy a Monitor Talkback Controller (thinking about SPL MTC 2381) before I even plugin the HG3s too not risk of blowing my ears off or the speakers... Also new new cable.

And If I want to invest time to buy the best possible monitor stand for the money as possible... which turned out to be easier said then done.
Immersion
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
My Zaor Isostands sure look nice, but I have no way to test the sound until the speakers are manufactured and delivered. I admit that the Wife Acceptance Factor played a big part in my decision

I noticed that before the screws were properly tightened, the stands resonated at around 8Hz when pushed in the depth/woofer movement direction. The rubber pads beneath the spikes are soft enough to be compressed using finger pressure. With no weight on top, the glass plate had a tiny wobble, but once the pads were compressed with some weight on top, the wobble was gone.
Looks, good Let's hope it is not only eye candy then
But personally I am not a superficial person I do not want to buy
things that looks good to the eye only, I prefer to buy with my reason rather then my emotions.
I am sorry I am septic to this product and the manufacture need to explain why we should buy this product better, or they expect people to buy the product because of emotions ? My first emotion was that wow this must be the ultimate monitor stand, but then I did read more about spikes etc..

I read somewhere , that spikes in it is original form was made to be used in studios with concrete floor, this does make sense..
Immersion
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Sound Anchors are great
A.
what do you mean by sound anchor ?
Immersion
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

My emotion say when I look at the picture, that it does not look very stable! looks wobbly
I also wonder, is they 45 kg per pair ? 22 kg per stand ?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search